XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Sad night out

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 11:28 PM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Sad night out

Stopped with a line of cars waiting for light to change, woman with two kids and a dog rams into the back of my 05/XJ8L with a 2014 Dodge something or other--small car. Front of her car demolished, rear of the XJ smashed. Plastic Bumper, Trunk rear panel, trunk led, mostly lower half of finders pushed out and I'm sure the finders, left rear side-back of left rear door- pushed forward into door, don't know what else. Dark, so couldn't see what is damaged under rear of car, but hate to guess. Car drove home-just over a mile, Ok and didn't seem to be out of alinement with the front, but again, hate to guess. all lights still worked, but left rear glass broke. No injuries either car--the best thing.

Tomorrow will tell the tail-maybe. Will keep informed. That's both Jags in the dirt. This one and the misfiring 05 XK8.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:25 AM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Glad you're okay. You sure have put up with a lot with those Jaguars recently. Be sure to post pictures when you get a chance, I'm curious on how extensive the damage is. I'm surprised you were able to drive it home with how bad it sounds like it crunched it.

The following 2 users liked this post by chillyphilly:
Chuck Schexnayder (02-09-2017), Don B (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Very sorry to hear of your rear end crash. Glad no one was injured.

This type of crash scares me the most as I see so many drivers not paying attention. A big suv went whizzing by my wife the other day on her left side.

Would have been ok except she was stopped at a traffic lite and so was the diver on her left and up a couple of car lengths.

The following 2 users liked this post by jackra_1:
Old 02-09-2017, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts

Also sorry for you. Fortunately no injuries.
It's most concerning to suffer that kind of damage on our cars as they can quickly be estimated as totalled by the insurance companies.
Hope that you can put it back fully repaired soon.

The following 2 users liked this post by paydase:
Old 02-09-2017, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Do you have the option of buying the 'wreck' back from the insurance company if you feel it's worth it to you to spend the extra getting it back on the road ?

The following 2 users liked this post by Partick the Cat:
Chuck Schexnayder (02-10-2017), Don B (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 10:00 AM

Thanks to you all, and as soon as I can get over the mental hurt of seeing a beautiful car suffer this type of damage, caused by a (had a few) person, I get sick. Also, I'll try to post a few pictures. Maybe today. Right now I'm trying to find a way to get from one place to another to get my Truck. The XJ is at home and the XK is in the country in my shop. I'm running out of toys. As "paydase" said above, the insurance company may decide to total the car because of the type of damage--another worry.

Partick-----don't have an answer for you right now. Will get back to you.

Cheers

Last edited by Chuck Schexnayder; 02-09-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

I'm glad you're OK Chuck, and the people in the car behind you are OK. In the scheme of things, that's all that matters.

You may want to give a wrecking yard a call to pick their brain on how they negotiate a price with insurance carriers on these wrecks. We know they don't just give them away. (In case they total the car).

The following users liked this post:
Don B (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 10:41 AM
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts

Chuck, I'm so sorry to hear about this. It makes me sick. I cant even imagine what you are going thru. Please keep us updated. Many here have gone thru the same issues.
Mark

Don B (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 07:02 PM
Default Pictures

If I can get this right, here are some pictures of my rear end hit last night.
Don't have any idea why their are cockeyed. They were straight up & down on the computer.

Anyway. Cars in shop and have a supplied rental. Doesn't look like their going to total car---so far.

Under car, both exhaust pushed back to wheels, fuel tank bent, bumper stuff crushed---all I could see...

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails Sad night out-img_0767.jpg   Sad night out-img_0768-2-.jpg   Sad night out-img_0769-1-.jpg   Sad night out-img_0770-1-.jpg   Sad night out-img_0772-1-.jpg  

Sad night out-img_0773.jpg   Sad night out-img_0775-2-.jpg  

Last edited by Chuck Schexnayder; 02-09-2017 at 07:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chuck Schexnayder:
Don B (02-09-2017), Sean W (02-11-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 07:57 PM
Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I would stunned if your car isn't totaled. It would have been totaled even if it was 2008... I am sorry to tell you that.

The passenger side damage is mainly cosmetic and nothing structural. The drivers side on the hand has frame damage because of rear quarter panel being pushed into the rear door..

Sorry

Chuck Schexnayder (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 09:42 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Chuck,

I have nothing to add except my sympathy and to agree that we're all thankful no one was injured. We'll all be sharing your pain and anxious to hear how things are resolved.

Cheers,

Don

Chuck Schexnayder (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 10:26 PM

pkoko; we'll just have to wait and see. Never know about these things when they are in others hands and we don't get to have any input.

DonB; Seems like we've been thru a lot together, but I guess it's just advice we really share. Thanks again for your thoughts and feelings.

Chuck

Don B (02-09-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 04:55 AM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Almost identical damage to my 03 STR. Once on the lift the full extent of damage becomes visible.
These cars have crunch zones. One being at the the frame at the wheel wells. My frame shorten on 1 side by a 1/4. in.
The approved Jag repair shop took about a month or so for the repairs. Replacing the exhaust pipes was a real challenge. Took a while to get a factory new one.
Everything ok after some $12k in repair costs.
Make sure the repair shop is an approved Jaguar repair shop with the credentials. Its very important due the the aluminium construction of the car.
Good Luck.

Don B (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 09:34 AM
Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

Being that it's a 2005 Jaguar XJ8L, it isn't going to take much damage at all for the insurance adjuster to declare the vehicle totaled. In your situation, I'm afraid that will probably be the case. Nothing will likely ever be the same on the car after a collision like this (frame damage) so my best advice to you is to take the money (assuming that it's totaled), and hunt for another Jag.

Last edited by Rickkk; 02-10-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:01 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It will be totaled.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:05 PM

One and all.

Well it looks like "Vinny T" may be right. USAA sent me a message tonight and in it they said they may be totaling the car. May be is just that-- a May. But it was more then likely just their way of trying to let one down easy.

For those of you who are Insurance savey, maybe you can explain something for me. Why is my insurance company saying they may total the car? Looks to me like it would be the others insurance making that decision.

Anyway, I know there are those of you who know how to deal with the insurance companies over settlement agreements and if you would take the time to PM me how to go about it the right way, with out offending anyone, I would appreciate your advice. I ask for the PM because I don't want to fill up this forums pages.

One thing that's worrying me is that USAA has not sent anyone out to look at the car, they are using the opinion of a local Lincoln dealers collision center.
About 9 years ago a guy ran a stop sign and wiped out my Caddy. Another half foot to the rear and he would have wiped out the wife. That aside, USAA sent an adjuster from about 90 miles west of here to do the estimate and eval of the car which was also totaled. Front wheel drive cars suffer really bad with a collision to the front end. It moved that cars front end about a foot to the right. Wonder why no USAA adjuster this time???

Anyway, will keep you posted. Oh yes! Any help on dealing with the insurance people will be greatly appreciated.....

Chuck.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:02 PM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Personally, I trust a collision center more than an insurance adjuster (employee or subcontrator), as they are quoting what it would cost them and what they will charge, not merely what it "should" cost. I have a slight problem with insurance companies sending adjusters out to evaluate damage. Seems to me they might be a little bias on the side of insurance, which is normally to save a buck.

In the past (last incident I had was a handful of years ago), insurance companies I have dealt with have requested me to take the car to three different shops (in the event of repairing it) and then I believe I had my choice. Basically I think they just wanted to see that the price was not overinflated on the one of choice. Recently I had a minor hit and run (just a scrape in the parking lot). It seems that insurance companies, or at least mine, have changed their ways a bit. They gave me a few options. I could snap a picture and send it to them, and their adjuster would look at it and estimate a price. I have a serious problem with that. 1) They obviously want to pay the least they can, as the other driver will not be paying and 2) there is no possible way that they can see the extent of the damage in pictures (there is a very small crease that is extremely hard to see directly behind the scrape). My insurance pressed a bit to have me go this route ofcourse, stating it would be the quickest.

The second option they tried to convince me to do it to have me pick one of their "preferred" shops in the area. They wanted me to tell them first "so they could forward the info." Again, for me, another red flag, as I want the quote in my hand before the insurance ever sees it. Seems to be too much talking going on without me knowing between the collision center and insurance agreeing on a price before I ever know the actual cost.

The third option was that I could take it to any shop I wanted for a quote, but in the event I did, insurance would need to send an adjuster out regardless.

I opted to get a few quotes, one by an outside source and two by theirs, without them knowing ofcourse. The outside came in the most expensive. One of theirs was slightly cheaper, and the other one of their "preferred" shops was almost half the price of the other guy!

Though I am still in the process of sorting mine out, I was told before and after I got the quote that if I was quoted from their preferred shop, it is "instantly" approved as they trust the shop enough to estimate and therefore have no need to send an adjuster out. So I sent the middle of the three, as the lowest guy was absurdly low.

Call me skeptical, but it is no secret insurance companies don't like paying more than they have to.

Sorry to take up your thread, just thought I'd chime in on what I've seen lately. My point of this is, don't be afraid to get an outside opinion on the damage if you think it should be different than what they're saying.

The following 2 users liked this post by chillyphilly:
Chuck Schexnayder (02-11-2017), paydase (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,481 Likes on 7,450 Posts

Chuck, don't accept or sign away anything just yet. You may be able to get it fixed and keep it if you want.
Insurance adjusters DO NOT have your best interests in mind. ALL they want to do is get rid of you as quickly as they can. They work for their boss and they'll either try to give you a low ball check and tell you to go away or total the car and go away.
I've went thru this a long time ago and kept my car even after an adjuster tried (in vain to total it). It was an '86 Olds 442 with glass t-tops and a whole bunch more. It may be a bit of a fight, but I do believe you can do it.
PM will be sent later explaining more.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:07 PM

Decided against the fight on keeping the car and accepted what I considered (after an increase on the settling price near the 10K dollar figure)--a fair adjustment.

I did find out that Fla. law would allow me to keep the car with a much reduced settlement price from the insurance company and I could have the car repaired myself, but would be issued a salvaged title. With a salvaged title, the value of the car would be greatly reduced on resale or trade in. This of course, with the cost of out pocket repairs, I would end up with the car, but one that wasn't of any great value. With a car that is in excess of 12 years old, I didn't think the issue was worth the effort.

I still have the XK8, so will remain in the Jaguar forums, just in a different category.

Cheers.

Don B (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 05:40 PM
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Settlement

Sorry to hear about the final outcome but you're right the salvage title designation would kill the value for resale in the future. Plus the repair estimate is just that.Costs may increase once the repairs are started and other hidden issues are found.