XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

red dash warn light

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question red dash warn light

2002 xjs v8
Is the red dash warn light simply the temperature light?
I test drove my wife's car yesterday and all was fine. After about 5 to 7 minutes down the highway I turned around and the cruise control would not come on. Within 3 to 4 minutes the display started flashing to "limp mode" It only takes 2 to 3 minuted in town to get to the house and as we pulled into the driveway the red warning light came on. A generic OBDII code reader reported all clear (P1111). I realize that I never heard the electric fans running and remember that she said they would not go off a couple of weeks ago. I am thinking fan controller. Anyone know where I can get one? I heard that there is a place that will rebuild them, is this correct?

Thanks

Jim

Old 07-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
Here is another forum thread on Cooling Fan issues "cooling fan won't shut off" (look at post 2 thru 4) They give part number, photo and pricing on Radiator Fan Control module relay:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...hut-off-47684/

I copied the following from the Jaguar Shop Repair Manual:

Cooling FansThe two radiator cooling fans are mounted in a cowl assembly within the cooling module.

The fans are controlled by the ECM dependent on the demand from the cooling system (temperature) or the air conditioning system (pressure).

Outputs from the ECM control the radiator fans control module, located behind the left hand side of the bumper, to operate the fans in the series mode (slow), parallel mode (Fast) or Off modes.

Hysteresis in the temperature and pressure switching values prevents 'hunting' between modes.

Under hot operating conditions, the fans may continue to operate for some time after the engine has been switched off, but will stop automatically when the coolant temperature has been sufficiently reduced.
Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECT) and ECM

Here is the information I also found in the manual about the ECT sensor:

Engine Temperture Sensor (Coolant Temperture Sensor) is located in Coolant Outlet Pipe near the Thermostat Tower (look at the front of the engine - next to the top of the Radiator).

The following information from the Jaguar Electronic Parts Catalog:

Part number is AJ810031 (part number - LRA1600AA is superceded).

Name:  XJX308EngineSensorspartslist.jpg
Views: 3940
Size:  120.0 KB

Name:  XJX308EngineCoolantTemperatureECTSensor-1.jpg
Views: 3496
Size:  107.1 KB

Pricing information on sensor:

Gaudin Jaguar Parts website has the sensor's retail price of $18.45 and discounted price of $13.84.

Here is the sensor on British Parts UK website - Nice picture of the actual sendor:

Name:  XJX308CoolantTempertureSensor.jpg
Views: 3479
Size:  105.2 KB

Last edited by jimlombardi; 07-13-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by jhirsch0830
2002 xjs v8
Is the red dash warn light simply the temperature light?
I test drove my wife's car yesterday and all was fine. After about 5 to 7 minutes down the highway I turned around and the cruise control would not come on. Within 3 to 4 minutes the display started flashing to "limp mode" It only takes 2 to 3 minuted in town to get to the house and as we pulled into the driveway the red warning light came on. A generic OBDII code reader reported all clear (P1111). I realize that I never heard the electric fans running and remember that she said they would not go off a couple of weeks ago. I am thinking fan controller. Anyone know where I can get one? I heard that there is a place that will rebuild them, is this correct?

Thanks

Jim
If it is the oval red light over the temperature gauge, then yes, that is the overheating warning.

If you have intermittent overheating, a sticking thermostat is by far the most likely suspect. If you are very hot the fans will not shut off for a while after the car is turned off.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 07-13-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

OK,
Since WhiteXKR won't plug this very appropriate product that we all need for future problem avoidance, I will.

This product idea is so good, it falls right into the "Shut up and take my money" category.

Check this link and buy one of these
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...n-74704/page2/

Last edited by WaterDragon; 07-13-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:27 AM

Thanks folks!
It is not the temperature warn light in the temperature gauge. It is the red light in the speedometer cluster next to the amber one. The display is flashing "fail safe engine mode". The Owner's manual says do not drive the car with light on. The temperature gauge has not shown that the engine is actually getting hot. Is there a way to clear the red warn light? What does this light really mean and why should one not drive the car? I got an OBDII blue tooth transmitter and a copy of torque on the android. Last night I ran the car in the driveway. It is hot in Texas now. I was careful not to let the coolant temperature get above 200F. The electric cooling fans never came on. The red light in the speedometer was on the whole time. Again no OBDII codes came up other than P1000. I believe that this is due to me clearing the computer last week and not driving the car. It is showing several emissions OBDII monitors but I don't believe this is the problem as before I cleared the codes it showed P1111 (all clear).
Thanks again for any help!
Jim

Old 07-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks folks!
It is not the temperature warn light in the temperature gauge. It is the red light in the speedometer cluster next to the amber one. The display is flashing "fail safe engine mode". The Owner's manual says do not drive the car with light on. The temperature gauge has not shown that the engine is actually getting hot. Is there a way to clear the red warn light? What does this light really mean and why should one not drive the car? I got an OBDII blue tooth transmitter and a copy of torque on the android. Last night I ran the car in the driveway. It is hot in Texas now. I was careful not to let the coolant temperature get above 200F. The electric cooling fans never came on. The red light in the speedometer was on the whole time. Again no OBDII codes came up other than P1000. I believe that this is due to me clearing the computer last week and not driving the car. It is showing several emissions OBDII monitors but I don't believe this is the problem as before I cleared the codes it showed P1111 (all clear).
Thanks again for any help!
Jim
OK, I think we established it is not an overheating issue.

Is your cruise control button on?....if so turn it off and see if it changes anything.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WaterDragon
OK,
Since WhiteXKR won't plug this very appropriate product that we all need for future problem avoidance, I will.

This product idea is so good, it falls right into the "Shut up and take my money" category.

Check this link and buy one of these
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...n-74704/page2/

Thanks for the plug! I am glad you are pleased with the product.

Let me make the decison easier for XJ owners:

For a limited time, any Jaguarforum member who wants RealGauge for the XJ (X308) can PM me for a discount password ($30 off RealGauge).

The following users liked this post:
Sy1664 (07-18-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
If cruise control not working, then maybe the brake switch needs attention?
Forum search on failsafe mode brought threads on cleaning brake switch with wd40, also the need to replace it.

Not sure how to clean the brake switch with wd40 (since it is electrical switch).
It is attached to the brake pedal linkage under the dash.

Maybe other forum members can explain the how to clean it.

Here a photo of the brake switch I found on Ebay:

Name:  XJX308BrakeSwitchPhoto1.jpg
Views: 3260
Size:  24.4 KB

Here is a photo of the other side on the switch:

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 3228
Size:  15.2 KB

Internet seach using part# brought up the part name as BRAKE PEDAL SWITCH

Also the "Yet Another Failsafe Engine Victim" thread is worth viewing (motorcarman - has this 206-07 TSB on the Brake Pedal Switch).

I edited the TSB and Bolded text on page 1 (In case of a customer complaint of above conditions on a 1997-2000 MY XK or 1998-2002 MY V8 XJ) and another section on page 1 (BRAKE SWITCH INSTALLATIONFOR XK VEHICLES ONLY) and page 4 (BRAKE SWITCH INSTALLATION FOR V8 XJ SERIES VEHICLES ONLY):

206-07AM3.pdf

The TSB PDF file - first 3 pages (1-3) has instructions for XK models, Pages 4 and 5 for XJ models, Page 6 has parts information.

Weblink to Victim thread (look at post# 5):

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-victim-38998/

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 07-21-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 AM

Thanks for all your help. I finally got back to work on the car Friday. I verified that the cooling systen is fine and the fans run in high and low. Torque with one of the OBD II bluetooth readers is really cool. The red light in the speedometer indicates that a door or the trunk (i mean boot) is not closed. It may indicate other things as well. I don't know. Anyway the problem was that the boot was not latched tight. I was not gettig a boot not closed message however. Odd. I discovered it by accident. Now if the red light in the speedometer is on I simply press gently on the boot and it goes off.

We do have issues with the cruise control as it does not go into limp mode with the cruise off. I have soaked the brake switch in WD40 and we will see what that does. I also soaked the trunk latch in WD40. The WD40 trick makes sense to me as these are mini microswitchs and have a mechanical snap action. I have temporarly fixed microswitches like this before.

Ok I agree I need to get out of the north Texas sun as I should have realized the boot latch problem sooner. It has been 100+ every day and is forcast to stay that was for a while yet.

Thanks for all the help again!

Jim

Old 10-09-2019, 07:29 AM
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

So replacing the pedal switch, will this eliminate the engine limp mode?
I also want to pull the cruise control fuse, just to turn it off!

Old 10-09-2019, 10:16 AM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

IMO you need to replace the brake switch with the newest design. Did that on my 2000 Jag years ago and no further issues. Because you erased the code P1111 you now have to go through the drive cycle test to get all systems reset. NEVER erase the P1111 code. There are 2 micro switches within the switch that must work in unison. If one switch is sticking it will set the red light in the speedo and set the limp home mode. WD40 will temporarily free up the micro switch but the problem will reoccur ! Simply replace the switch and report back.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:34 PM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

No need to locate and remove fuse. If the engagement light is off in the console then the cruise is off.

Old 05-28-2022, 07:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake and boot microswitches

Thanks for all your help. I finally got back to work on the car Friday. I verified that the cooling systen is fine and the fans run in high and low. Torque with one of the OBD II bluetooth readers is really cool. The red light in the speedometer indicates that a door or the trunk (i mean boot) is not closed. It may indicate other things as well. I don't know. Anyway the problem was that the boot was not latched tight. I was not gettig a boot not closed message however. Odd. I discovered it by accident. Now if the red light in the speedometer is on I simply press gently on the boot and it goes off.

We do have issues with the cruise control as it does not go into limp mode with the cruise off. I have soaked the brake switch in WD40 and we will see what that does. I also soaked the trunk latch in WD40. The WD40 trick makes sense to me as these are mini microswitchs and have a mechanical snap action. I have temporarly fixed microswitches like this before.

Ok I agree I need to get out of the north Texas sun as I should have realized the boot latch problem sooner. It has been 100+ every day and is forcast to stay that was for a while yet.

Thanks for all the help again!

Jim

Boot and Brake microswitches
I sourced a Cherry microswitch (DJ or DK series?) to fix my boot issues.

I swapped the 2x microswitches on the brake switch
One is N/O and the other N/C so swapping them (1-2 and 2-1) moved the faulty contact to where it's not used
Simples