XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

A boy's first Jag

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 12:21 AM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Default A boy's first Jag

I'm still practicing on saying "Jaguar" with three syllables instead of two with a straight face...

Sunday I bought an '88 XJS in a creamy off-white with blue interior. It's the first foreign car I've ever owned. It's also the first car I've owned that wasn't powered by a V8, and one of only two not powered by Ford's 302 specifically.

I couldn't help but compare this car to my Mark VIIs. Where the Mark VII held the road fairly proficiently with its air suspension, the XJS (or at least mine) tends to lazily go through the motions, as though detached from the traffic around it. The Mark VII, despite being nearly two tons of American steel, was light on its feet where the big cat from Coventry just feels like the two-ton car it is. Braking is equally sluggish, but I'm used to a pedal with a long travel - and while we're on the topic of pedals, I kept trying to activate my kickdown, and with titanic effort, I feel like I did. I heard a snap, and the pedal dropped about a quarter inch, and the car dropped into second with all due haste. I can pull that off now without the odd snap. Did I break something, or unbreak something?

The controls took some getting used to, and honestly, I still don't get the climate control setting. With the Mark VII, everything was easily accessible, and ready to be used. The Jag actually stumped me. I was forced to read the effing manual just to figure out how to control the dash lights - and who the hell puts the dash light control under the dash? That's where you hide the controls for your secret agent gadgets!

Unlike the Mark VII, whose quirks I could diagnose in a heartbeat and repair in three, the Jaguar's many intricacies baffle me, and I honestly feel like I'm in over my head - which is good. It's the only way I'll learn.

There are some things I'd like some help with, however, and I'm not too proud to ask:

For example, my driver's side door is a little... Well, it's screwed up. Won't open from the outside. The handle doesn't feel like its engaging. Having to open the driver's door from the inside is getting old (even just on day two,) so I'm absolutely determined to do something about it. Assuming some linkage has just come undone, what's the best way to get behind the door panel? I'm going to eventually replace the speakers (and I keep hearing conflicting data about their size, so I'm going to measure them while I'm back there.)

Adding to the door drama is the fact that the key does not unlock the passenger's door. It fits, but will not turn. I blasted some graphite lubricant in there (which worked wonders on the trunk and gas filler door lock, both of which were stubborn as hell) but the passenger's door lock (and glove compartment lock as well) resist my efforts to lock or unlock them with the key. Unless there's something I'm not doing right, I'd almost wager that they're not original.

My dash lights are very, very dim. While the coolant gauge lights up just fine, she's a bit more bashful about her oil pressure, and the tach and speedo are virtually unlit. My first instinct is LEDs, but if I can somehow "revive" the lights in place (or hell, replace lights that have simply burnt out,) I'll be content... for now. Also, the ski slope feels like it should have more lighting. The gear selector tells me what gear I'm in, but are there supposed to be lights in the (useless) ashtrays and on the window and (leaky) moon roof controls? There's also a light by the rear view mirror that's out. I'm assuming it's supposed to come on when one opens the doors, and I'll replace it soon enough. I just hope I don't break anything when I do. Any tips?

Oh, and the oil pressure - it seems low. Maybe dangerously so. While it reads just fine under load, when I come to a stop it dips pretty dang low. The engine seems to be blissfully unaware, and no warning lights come on, but it's still unnerving.

Speaking of warning lights, whenever I put the lights on, an idiot light comes on for about ten seconds warning me of a dead bulb. The Mark VII will tell you if a headlamp or taillamp is out (but doesn't care about the interior lights one bit,) and all of my exterior lights function. Is my car paranoid, or does it also monitor interior lights for a dead bulb?

Then there are the mystery sounds - a ticking that follows engine speed, but only with the accelerator in. If I let off, it stops ticking. Whatever it is, it's in the engine. I'm sure of it.

The only other mystery sound is a clunk that happens sometimes and seems to originate from the rear of the car, possibly the right rear. I'll have the dang thing looked over soon enough. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that "soon" is "soon enough" and that I'm not in danger of some kind of highway catastrophe because I didn't take care of this "yesterday."

You have my thanks for having the patience to read through all this, and thanks in advance to anyone who chimes in.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Stargazer XJS
I'm still practicing on saying "Jaguar" with three syllables instead of two with a straight face...

If you're a Yank it'll never sound right so stop trying.

I couldn't help but compare this car to my Mark VIIs. Where the Mark VII held the road fairly proficiently with its air suspension, the XJS (or at least mine) tends to lazily go through the motions, as though detached from the traffic around it.

Could be a number of things but the very first thing to check is the steering rack bushings

The Mark VII, despite being nearly two tons of American steel, was light on its feet where the big cat from Coventry just feels like the two-ton car it is. Braking is equally sluggish, but I'm used to a pedal with a long travel - and while we're on the topic of pedals, I kept trying to activate my kickdown, and with titanic effort, I feel like I did. I heard a snap, and the pedal dropped about a quarter inch, and the car dropped into second with all due haste. I can pull that off now without the odd snap. Did I break something, or unbreak something?

Probably un-broke something

The kickdown is switch is just to the left of the throttle capstan and is activated by a little bump-thingy the protrudes thru the cable casing. Take a peek, you'll see. Probably been years since the throttle was opened that far

The controls took some getting used to, and honestly, I still don't get the climate control setting.

What, specifically, is the difficulty?

- and who the hell puts the dash light control under the dash? That's where you hide the controls for your secret agent gadgets!

Lesson #1 to happy XJS ownership:

There are no design faults in an old Jag. Anything that looks like a design fault is actually "an interesting engineering feature".

A philosophic attitude is required at all times.

Unlike the Mark VII, whose quirks I could diagnose in a heartbeat and repair in three, the Jaguar's many intricacies baffle me, and I honestly feel like I'm in over my head - which is good. It's the only way I'll learn.

These old Jags are quirky. And the XJSs and V12s require patience. But, 90% of the faults and fixes are well documented

Off to bed for now. Others will chime in on your other items, or I will in the morning.

But.....

Don't sweat the oil pressure too much. Almost-zero at idle when hot is normal for the V12...but there ARE known problems with the gauges as well.

You have my thanks for having the patience to read through all this, and thanks in advance to anyone who chimes in.
Glad to help but, yeah, your posting has an awful lot of questions. It's really best, IMHO, to post different questions/problems separately. Easier to answer them that way and the threads are easier to follow.

Welcome aboard

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (10-28-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Welcome aboard, don't worry about the accent, everyone has one! Just say it like you would say the animal and continue acknowledging that the element aluminum was named as such and later a reporter changed the name to aluminium because it sounded fancier.

Anyways, this is really interesting because I have a very good friend with a Mark VIII!
I'll address some of the things you mentioned and help a bit of understanding comparing the two.

1.Idk, if the 7 has bags like the 8, but you probably need new shocks. My car wallows through every corner like a boat because it needs new ones. When the suspension is right, its almost scary how often you will catch yourself speeding accidentally.

2. The three speed GM tranny sucks, it just does. If you REALLY wanna feel some of the guts in the 12, skip the kickdown switch (it really is hard to kick in sometimes). Put it in 1st and have at it. It will automatically kick into the next gear, but beware of some wheel spin when it does. If you have the opportunity, the car really screams after about 85 or 90. If you ever have the chance to drive in the 100s, it makes you think twice about the cars capabilities.

3. I love the controls in this car. It is small enough everything is at your finger tips. The dimmer is definitely hidden, but its not something that is used very much, why busy up the dash with something like that? It took me a while to find out I could push the left hand AC/heater knob in or pull it out to change from manual to automatic settings. all the buttons across the dash are simply laid out, and I am a fan switches being in the center. The oddness of the inside to you isn't a jaguar thing, its a european/age one. The cars layout dates back a ways along with it being of european design, which explains oddities like a lack of cupholders.

4.I agree on the learning part, but the car isn't as bad as people make it sound. It is more difficult when you are used to having tons of engine room or being able to use an OBD scanner, but it is just a car. Everything is the same, a fuse is a fuse, a water pump is a water pump. General knowledge can get you extremely far.

5. You door handle may be broken (mine was when i got it) but hopefully its just messed up. The pot metal inside can shear off, but there are also plastic pieces that hold the linkage in that can break off. Take the panel off and just study the linkage a bit and see if there is something broken or disconnected. It is pretty simply. The only secret to removing the door panel is that the chrome piece on the door pull/arm rest pops off and reveals a large screw. After that you can pop the panel along its edges and then it comes UP and off.

6. It maybe wrong, try turning the key over. One of mine is poorly cut and only works one way. Best way to find out is to remove the handle and lock assembly on the passenger door and check out the pins to see if they matchup.

7. Just good old 80s lighting for you. The dash issue is super common. Upgrade with LEDs and remove the green covers that go in the light wells if you want, it becomes much bright just by removing the green covers. Replace all the interior lights with LED, I do this in ever car. Many are simple festoon lights. Remove the light about the mirror carefully, it has a ball bearing that can pop out that you will lose. See if the light is just blown or if maybe the switch is bad. That light is setup so you can push on it a bit and swivel it to turn on. The ashtrays don't have lights, but center lighting is from a central light with fiber optics. You can put an LED there as well. The ashtray is a good spot to stick your phone, but there is an aftermarket ski slope with chrome/stainless cup holders available. The leaky moonroof, you are on your own. That is not stock, someone put it in themselves.

7. The oil pressure is just like that, get used to it. Make sure you don't have any big leaks and replaced the sending unit, but get used to it basically reading nothing when its warmed up. Even with 20w-50

8.The idiot light is a check for the idiot light. Many older cars had one for the brakes. In my MGB you can hit a button to test the brake light to see that it works. That always comes on when you turn on the lights, just so you know it works. If it stays on, there is something out. If it doesn't come on, it is out.

9. The car has a pretty noisy valvetrain, could be a valve with excessive clearance, could be something stick that will clear up, could be an exhaust leak. Hard to say with that simple info

10. Rear end clunk is probably the trailing arm on the rear end. There is a big circular bushing that goes bad and causes a clunk. It is possible for the rear end to be lose though, so check it out.

I am sure I repeated a bunch of what doug said, but maybe it will give you some assurance. GET kirby palms book and come to the forum with any questions you have. Really though, go put the car in first gear and give it some gas. If you ever get the chance go on the highway, properly sorted this car is a badass GT that eats miles for breakfast.

Also I agree with doug on interesting engineering features. The passenger door seems to mostly have been put there for when the drivers door breaks, it also seems to allow the coming and going of "passengers", whatever you would need some of those for. Again, welcome to the forum. I like this forum a lot, it is one of the only car forums I have ever enjoyed. Many others end up with too much focus on trying to customize the car and make it faster than their neighbors, and I have had an issue in others where so many people joined a band wagon on an idea or product, that I couldn't even explain why something is right or wrong using physics (hey land rover forum users and you head studs, im looking at you!). This is a great place to learn more about your car, fix it up, and try to help others do the same.

Last edited by sidescrollin; 10-28-2014 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,921 Likes on 1,669 Posts

'Foreign' car indeed, cheeky blighter.
Welcome to the trials and tribulations of XJS ownership.
Exactly what DD and Sidescrollin said with knobs on.
It sounds as if you have fairly typical XJS maladies, all of which can be sorted; is at a 6 or a 12 banger?
Get it sorted and have fun with it and it will give your Mark VII a run for its money.
Probably.
What is a Mark VII?
I thought that was a Jag too?

Old 10-28-2014, 04:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Congratulations on your car.

I am assuming your other car is a Lincoln Mark VII?

If it is you have got impeccable taste. If I ever find a end of the line 92 in burgundy in like new condition I will buy it. Love those cars. My favorite Lincolns

Old 10-28-2014, 07:52 PM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Welcome.

It took a while to get the head around a MKVII with air suspension, mine certainly did NOT, but then the Yank bit from Doug, and the ever shortening of names that abounds in the USA, and then good old Mark came to the rescue with Lincoln, DAMN, I am getting old, but we dont have Lincoln down here.

Anyway, much has been covered, but here is some light reading that ALL Jaguar Classic owners should read in my opinion.

Eletrical theory as per Joseph Lucas.doc

Old 10-28-2014, 10:08 PM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Good tips, all, thanks for putting up with the rambling. I didn't know how much I'd actually written until reading it today.

My other car was a Lincoln Mark VII LSC. She took a speeding station wagon for me. End of the line '92 with some pretty rare options. Halfway to a custom black and white interior at the time of the accident. Less than 200k on the clock. That V8 was young and full of life, but I digress.

I am familiar with Kirby Palm's book. Currently have both the .pdf and web version open in my browser, and the .pdf on my phone as well. Between that and the owner's manual (and the whole leather package it came in) I feel like I'm studying for midterms, and this car is worth the majority of my grade, but if I buy a car that I don't have to fix straight away, then I've bought the wrong car.

LED upgrades are definitely on the menu. I'm sure there's a list out there of exactly what I need. I know there's a site that will sell a fellow an entire kit, but it seems to have received mixed reviews. A portion of the lighting is actually fibre-optic, right? That's definitely on the list of bulbs to be upgraded. I figure I can go as bright and as white as I want with little fear of melting anything like I would with a standard incandescent bulb.

Today I did a bunch of driving, and really pulled out the stops. At speed, she's a whole different animal.

I'll work on the door at my earliest opportunity. I'm not above fabricating something, even if I have to do it with a bent piece of metal and a rock. I've done my research, and it seems like it's going to be a whole hell of a lot easier than pulling the panel on the Lincoln ever was.

Next step: anchoring the cigar lighter bezel. I'd upgrade the ski slope (primarily due to the cracked veneer) but I'd be too tempted to get one with cupholders, and that would just encourage my passenger (singular because the back seat is for display purposes only) to drink, and no one drinks in my cars. After all, "respect a man's car, and the man respects you."

Old 10-29-2014, 09:56 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"she may not haul *** like the rest of them, but she hauls class with the best of them!"

I like this