XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Brake Master Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Master Cylinder

can the brake master cylinder and accumulator on my 1991 xjs v12 be rebuilt. thanks Graham

Old 07-28-2012, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

You can buy a new accumulator for $100 or so. There's a GM part number floating around out there somewhere.

Not sure about rebuilding the master cylinder...which I think is called an "actuator" in Teves ABS terminology.

If nobody here chimes in with an answer Google "Teves ABS rebuilding" and see what happens

Cheers
DD

Old 09-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Default 91 Jaguar xjs v12 ABS

Thank you to Doug for your help, I still have not found any one that sells a repair kit or will repair abs actuators. I have found a place that will sell me a new brake actuator for $2600.00 I paid less than that for the car which is very nice condition except for the actuator aka (master cylinder) any ideas?. I think the cost of a replacement is a crime.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:07 AM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

There are companies that rebuild ABS modules. Not sure they go back to those old school systems but a search for ABS module rebuild bring up a few hits. Maybe contact some of them for ideas. Also GM used the same system on it's 80s vehicles.

The other alternative is to install a standard braking system and eliminate the ABS system. The early systems are pretty primitive and do not work that well anyway.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

I have had success with just dis-assembly and cleaning with brake spray.
It all depends on what is wrong with the unit.
Sometimes it just accumulates debris and a good cleaning will work.
Here is some old info and I don't know what is still available.

bob gauff

Attached Files
Old 09-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Back in the day the old Teves design was also found on about a ka-billion Jeeps....and most of them were recalled for various ABS problems. I've long forgotten all the details but I'm pretty sure that most of the issues came down to contamination. That is, the system simply won't tolerate dirt....and Americans traditionally never flushed brake fluid.

Only relatively recently has the wisdom of periodic brake fluid flushing caught on in the USA. For decades it was never listed as a recommended routine service by USA manufacturers (and perhaps still isn't) and the mere suggestion of it usually evoked a "You've gotta be kidding" response from the general public.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (12-17-2014)
Old 09-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

The system is extremely sensitive to dirt, and if you just push bach the pads when renewing you effectively push contaminated fluid back into the actuator. Hence the Jag manual stating that the bleeding screws should be opened when pushing the pistons back. I believe you have the "all in one" master cyl + ABS actuator that is part of the Mk II Teves system. (Changeover mid '93 for the XJS IIRC.) A number of Buick 89 - 90 models used the same system, the years once again IIRC. Google and check your local breakers for the part. As the brake setup may be slightly different (cyl dia and brake balance) it may not be a perfect fit.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,921 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Is it possible to remove the accumulator sphere safely (I think that they are pressurized to about 84 bar when new but gradually lose pressure over time).
Mine seems to take a long time now for the ABS warning light to go out but I have the chance of a second hand sphere from a breaker.
Steve

Old 09-30-2012, 07:31 PM

You can buy the accumulator ball new for around $100.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:06 AM
Per

Originally Posted by Steve M
Is it possible to remove the accumulator sphere safely (I think that they are pressurized to about 84 bar when new but gradually lose pressure over time).
Steve
With engine switched off press the brake pedal repeatedly until the pedal goes hard. If the accumulator is dying it doesn't take more than a press or two. If it takes more than ten I wouldn't bother changing it yet. Remember to have a cloth underneath the accfu when removing to catch any spilled brake fluid. In case of spills immediately clean off with lots of water.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:32 AM
Default Thanks to everyone!

My name is Graham, I just want to thank you all for your helpful inputs. I did install a GM acumulator, this helped pedal pressure. My #1 problem is while waiting at a light the pedal drops to the floor. I suspect the brake actuator aka master cylinder. I want the car to be safe, my options are buy master cylinder $2600.00 Not going that route. option two convert the car to standard brake system. My problem is where to start, does anyone know of a member who has done this? any information appreciated. Does anyone know if whether the teves actuator can be taken apart? I dont want to take it off unless I can look inside it , or if I could find a rebuild kit for just the actuator cylinder seals? Regards Graham

1991 Jaguar xjs v12 abs brakes.
convertible classic collectio
63000 miles

Old 10-02-2012, 07:36 PM

As I stated in a previous post. There are companies who rebuild these. Do a Google search and start emailing or calling around.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:47 AM

Thank's Greg. I have found companys that repair the electronics but not the actual actuator aka master cylinder. I can repair this unit myself if I can find a repair kit before I take it off

Old 10-04-2012, 06:09 AM

I found the cause of the pedal drop on my xjs, it has a a leak from the rear of the brake actuator aka master cylinder. I am calling a few salvage yards to try find a good replacment, I will keep you informed. Thank you to everyone for your information and ideas. I will get this cat back on the road. Regards Graham

Old 10-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Per

Originally Posted by grajaguar
I found the cause of the pedal drop on my xjs, it has a a leak from the rear of the brake actuator aka master cylinder. I am calling a few salvage yards to try find a good replacment, I will keep you informed. Thank you to everyone for your information and ideas. I will get this cat back on the road. Regards Graham
If it is a goner why not open up and try replacing some O-rings? By now they may have swollen or hardened with age, particularly if it sat around for longish periods.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:49 PM

I found that Cardone sells rebuilt units. Part number 12-4418. Advance Auto shows it at $814.49 and you can get 15% off using coupon code OCB5.

Prior remanufacturing appears to reman the Teves mark II hydraulic units. However they do not list Jaguar in the menu. I would call them. maybe you can send your to them for rebuilding.

Also a Google search turns up SIA Electronics as a rebuilder. However their website shows only electronics but a Ford forum describes a process for sending the unit in to SIA. A phone call might be in order.

The Teves Mark II system was a very popular system so someone will fix these.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:10 AM

Update, my Jaguar xjs is back on the road ....with brakes that stop! I found a car salvage place in England, they had a right hand drive abs master cylinder, $280.00. I recieved it last week, removed the piston assembly from it and installed it in my left hand master cylinder, bleed the brakes, works Great! thanks again for all your help Graham

Old 11-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

I wonder if that $2,600 original quote you got was a misprint?

grajaguar (11-08-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 02:36 PM

That's the price jagbits and Terrys list a new xjs abs master cylinder /actuator. I don't know what percent of xjs's have ABS, but alot of part's places assume you have standard brake's with $150 master cylinder. Just do a google search for Jaguar ABS M/cylinder part # JLM1475 .

Old 01-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello all, I am new to the forum so forgive me if I am posting in the wrong location. I have an 84 Jaguar VDP and I am noticing a leak in the master cylinder. Whenever I am idled for to long a a stop light the brakes go down a couple inches and the car begins to roll. The only place I see that might be leaking is the resevoir cap. Could this be right? I have seen the caps on ebay for about 50 bucks, but I am not sure if the cap should be replaced or just needs a new washer/o ring? What's your thoughts?

Jagxjs (01-14-2013)

Quick Reply: Brake Master Cylinder