XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Pre Flight Checks (XJS V12)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts
Default Pre Flight Checks (XJS V12)

I should have asked this Question ages ago.

If I'm going on a long Road Trip, then I check everything but what things should I check as a matter of course for just going out for a meal or a trip out to a Country Pub.

Where the Journey time would be an hour each way.

I've noticed that drivers of 'Normal Cars' seldom if ever bother to lift up the Bonnet (Hood) but the XJS is not what you would call your normal car.

Every single time I go out, I lift up the Bonnet (Hood) and check all the fluids and was wondering if this was 'normal' or being a bit OCD?

Or is there anything else I ought to check on?

Name:  XJSApril30th007_zpsc9972ee3.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  115.6 KB

Old 08-22-2014, 06:13 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

I check all the fluids an all my vehicles once a week wether they have been driven/riden or not.
That way I could start any of them and drive to other side of Australia without having to lift the bonnet. We sometimes travel 5+ hours at short notice(no time for planning ahead),and sometimes that is my wife on her own. So she knows she can jump in either of the cars she drives with confidence and drive the 450km to her mothers house.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (08-23-2014)
Old 08-22-2014, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

OB,

Interesting thought. I do my checks weekly as I rely not just on the reasonably good state of the car but also my ability to see fluid leaks on the driveway!

However I do check tyre pressures every week as older alloy wheels and cars that stand a lot do seem more prone to slow leaks. Having said that, they always seem to be perfect!

Sods law, isn't it? All the time we check the cars, nothing will be wrong! But the one time we don't check....

Paul

Old 08-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

As I live out in the Stix and it's a real trip to go anywhere, I check everything, all fluids and pressures every time I plan taking her out.

That still doesn't keep me totally out of trouble as my recent thread about a blowout on a curve shows. Imagine the trouble I would be in if I didn't check everything!!
(';')

Old 08-22-2014, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

I wouldn't consider myself lax or a negligent owner, but they aren't THAT fragile once sorted! I can go months without opening the bonnet. DRIVE IT!!!

Old 08-22-2014, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
I wouldn't consider myself lax or a negligent owner, but they aren't THAT fragile once sorted! I can go months without opening the bonnet. DRIVE IT!!!
Once Sorted is the key. I thought I had it pretty well sorted, silly me, but nearly every time I turn around there's something else I would never even have considered.

Therefore I do not yet have that much confidence in my abilities with a Jaguar. Chevy, yes. Ford, maybe. Dodge, definitely. But Nix? Maybe some day but not yet. So I check Everything.
(';')

Old 08-23-2014, 04:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
Hi Flint

I'm probably a bit paranoid, after my near disaster with the Stuck Caliper and finding that one of my tyres was about to blow out!

The Car is pretty well sorted now and I drive her hard when I can.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
Once Sorted is the key. I thought I had it pretty well sorted, silly me, but nearly every time I turn around there's something else I would never even have considered.

Therefore I do not yet have that much confidence in my abilities with a Jaguar. Chevy, yes. Ford, maybe. Dodge, definitely. But Nix? Maybe some day but not yet. So I check Everything.
(';')
Hi Elinor

I'll reply to both your Posts together, so I'll start by saying I agree with you, its always better to check everything as foresight is better than hindsight.

So I won't be kicking myself so much, if I know I've checked everything first.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by o1xjr
I check all the fluids an all my vehicles once a week wether they have been driven/riden or not.
That way I could start any of them and drive to other side of Australia without having to lift the bonnet. We sometimes travel 5+ hours at short notice(no time for planning ahead),and sometimes that is my wife on her own. So she knows she can jump in either of the cars she drives with confidence and drive the 450km to her mothers house.
Hi Clarke

As She's not my daily driver, I usually check everything, just before I go out, so at least it gives me piece of mind when I'm driving, so think that I will continue to do so in the future.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
OB,

Interesting thought. I do my checks weekly as I rely not just on the reasonably good state of the car but also my ability to see fluid leaks on the driveway!

However I do check tyre pressures every week as older alloy wheels and cars that stand a lot do seem more prone to slow leaks. Having said that, they always seem to be perfect!

Sods law, isn't it? All the time we check the cars, nothing will be wrong! But the one time we don't check....

Paul
Hi Paul

I could not have put that better myself! as 'Sod's Law' is always something that you cannot factor in.

As I don't use her as my Daily Driver and also with the XJS not being yer normal Car, its only right I give her the kind of care and attention that She deserves.

So will continue to Check her over before I go out, rather than have her take revenge and bite me on the backside when I'm not expecting it.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:06 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

I would drive Fireball to Southern Tasmania tomorrow (2400+km) if I was asked without lifting the bonnet. Once I put the power steering pump back in and put the trans pan back on....they weren't broken,just I was at a loose end with 7 days off and both were evacuating fluid without my permission.

Last edited by o1xjr; 08-23-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by o1xjr
I would drive Fireball to Southern Tasmania tomorrow (2400+km) if I was asked without lifting the bonnet. Once I put the power steering pump back in and put the trans pan back on....they weren't broken,just I was at a loose end with 7 days off and both were evacuating fluid without my permission.

You are more brave than I, Clarke. I have a PS return line that's leaked since before we got the car so I check that Every time I plan going anywhere.

I also recently discovered brake fluid is going somewhere, as you say, without my permission so I keep a close eye on that. I have yet to find where fluid is escaping, and I hope it doesn't become critical until after I lead the club tour in September. After that she can be laid up until April if need be.
(';')

Old 08-24-2014, 07:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

lnrB - I had the same thing happen, with a loss of brake fluid, and not knowing where it was going. No leaks anywhere, just a loss of fluid. Driving down the road, came to a red light, hit the brakes and all of a sudden it was like trying to stop a freight train. Pushed the brake pedal really REALLY hard, and the car would not stop! I asked this same question in a thread about a few weeks ago, and got the answer that the fluid must have gone into the accumulator. Before leading a club tour, PLEASE check this out!

Last edited by Kimba Racing; 08-24-2014 at 07:57 AM. Reason: didn't quote the right way.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kimba Racing
lnrB - I had the same thing happen, with a loss of brake fluid, and not knowing where it was going. No leaks anywhere, just a loss of fluid. Driving down the road, came to a red light, hit the brakes and all of a sudden it was like trying to stop a freight train. Pushed the brake pedal really REALLY hard, and the car would not stop! I asked this same question in a thread about a few weeks ago, and got the answer that the fluid must have gone into the accumulator. Before leading a club tour, PLEASE check this out!
Thank you, Kimba,
If you mean the booster, that was put in new in April. Of course that doesn't mean it's not faulty, I think it was Chinese (nothing against the Chinese people, some products are excellent. It's just the problem of sorting out which ones are which.) and not an old line name brand. I will definitely check that out after I have crossed everything else off the list.

It's up on jack stands at the moment getting new wheel studs so I can easily check the rest of the system for signs of escaping fluid.
(';')

Old 08-24-2014, 11:57 AM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

My check list
Keys, wallet and sunglasses
Mine is daily driver. Havent opened hood in weeks.