XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Transmission cooler lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 04:48 PM
Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Transmission cooler lines

Hi,
I think that maybe I am asking the wrong question when I call my local parts store. One of my transmission cooler lines is leaking so I plan on changing both of them. The problem is one of them is no longer to be found (I forget if it is the in or out line but that doesn't matter). So here is my question. When I call the local parts stores and ask if they can fit a replacement hose on my cooler lines they keep thinking I want a new cooler line. Is there another way I should be asking this?
Jomo

Old 09-19-2014, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,921 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Do what I do if the supplier is close enough; take the car in, point at the offending bit and say 'Can you fix that?'.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:18 PM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

jomo, better get that line fixed pronto. One of mine ruptured an sprayed tranny fluid on the exhaust and set the car on fire. I saved it with a fire extinguisher but not before quite a bit of damage to wires and blistering the hood paint.
Cheers, RagJag

Old 09-20-2014, 01:09 PM
Eaa
Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't know if the 4.0 hoses are the same, but my 91 v12 had unusual fittings, at least for this area, southeast Wisconsin. I had to replace them due to an aftermarket radiator with different fittings for the cooler than the stock unit, and it really took a long time to figure out. I think the fittings I finally found were from the Aeroquip Corp. As I recall replacement oem hoses were pretty expensive, though I didn't really search for them since they would not solve the problem I had.

Is it leaking from the fittings or is there a problem with the hose? Or could be both I guess. If it's the fittings they seal via an o-ring, you can certainly find replacements at minimal cost at a hydraulic shop which might solve your problem. Presumably you already made sure the fittings are tight.

If you definitely want to replace the hoses I can try to find my receipts to get the part numbers for you, it was much less expensive to get these made than to buy stock replacements - I think about US$ 85 for the pair compared to several hundred for the oem hoses.

As Ragjag suggested, it's probably an ok idea to replace them since they are 20 years old in a hot environment. I don't think the fluid pressure is normally very high but if the hose ruptures it could cause some serious problems.

I guess I should have asked, is the problem with the hoses or the steel lines that run from the trans to the engine compartment? If it's the steel lines most of what I wrote may not apply. Or if your hoses are a different style.

Hope this helps, Eric

Last edited by Eaa; 09-20-2014 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-20-2014, 02:40 PM
Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

You could change only the hose if you grind down the ferrule and put on a new hose with a usual hose clip.
The picture is a hose of X300 but the basis is the same. The pipe is barbed so the hose won't come off.
The cooler line is a low pressure line, so there won't be any problem at all if retained with a hose clip.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:12 PM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

jomo, I removed my lines from the tranny and ran hydraulic flexible lines to the right side of the engine compartment directly to the radiator. That keeps the lines away from the heat and is easier to install. The fittings to the tranny and the radiator have to be reused. The radiator ends are fastened with threads specific to the Jaguar so just any hydraulic fitting won't do. I remember reading of another forum member doing this also.
Getting the original lines off the engine and installing a new set will, I think, require removing the manifold exhaust pipe. Not an easy job.
Cheers, RagJag

Old 09-20-2014, 05:23 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Jomo,

I ran into this on both of my '95s. The leak is a common issue as they will start to seep at the pressure fitting between the metal line and the rubber hose. I ran into the same situation where one of the two lines is available from many sources and the other is not.

The hose that is no longer available I took into a local company that makes lines and had them make one to match ( This is really the only viable option that I am aware of ). It was a little more having it made to match then ordering the one available or else I would have had them both made to match.

Just a quick word of advice on replacing these lines-they can be a bit of a hassle getting replaced so make sure you allow yourself extra time on this project and just hang in there when doing as both of my '95s took longer then what I expected. As memory serves me on this project this just did not go apart and back together as I expected after checking all this out before starting and one of the lines I had made started leaking due to a bad fitting. Just wanted to share that so you did not get caught off guard.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:32 AM
Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Correction to my own post.
Sorry, I confirmed that the lines XJS has is not barbed, they are straight pipes.
But at least you could bring the pipe to a hydraulic hose shop and re-swage the hose clamp using new oil hoses.