XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windscreen for XK8

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Windscreen for XK8

I'm lookin into getting one but they seem pricey. Anyone have any experience/recommendation on them?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Are you asking about getting a windshield replaced?

Old 08-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

They do help reduce buffeting quite a bit.

I have had two different types; one on my 99 and one my 06, both Jaguar OEM purchased through the dealer, actually I negotiated them into the price of the cars because they were way too expensive.

The wind deflectors were manufactured in two styles. The earlier one has two rigid frames the newer one has one rigid frame (the vertical) and the screen material that is stretched horizontally to clip in behind the top of the rear seats. The earlier model was much better quality and worked better too. I am not sure why they changed it maybe it was due to the revised seat/airbag design in 2001.

If you are looking at an aftermarket deflector go for one with the two rigid frames but be cognizant of the fit as it is critical.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

No, a windscreen to reduce buffeting with the top down.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

They do help cut down significantly (but of course not totally eliminate) wind noise and buffeting, and help stabilize the temperature in the cabin. I have had the model from Welsh Enterprises for about a year now, and have been very happy with the quality and performance. http://www.welshent.com/product_info.php?sku=C2N-2266. At $245 it is not cheap, but it is a bargain compared with the OEM Jaguar accessory. Installation does require a bit of drilling, but it is not too difficult.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts
Old 08-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

I got the one from Adamesh. It works great, and they shipped it Fedex. It showed up at my door the day after I ordered it. That alone kinda blew me away because they are in England and I'm in the US. The deflector does exactly what it's supposed to do. With the windows up and the deflector installed my wife doesn't even have to put her hair up. It barely blows around.

I actually swapped the left and right mounting brackets to lower the deflector by about three inches. In the "correct" position it just looked to me like it stuck up too high. I didn't like the look. Now, in the lower position it looks good, but the top bar is right in the middle of my view out the rearview mirror. I got used to it though, and it doesn't really bother me.

The factory deflector is apparently very easy to install and remove, it just snaps in place. The Adamesh and Welsh deflectors have two big knobs that have to be unscrewed to remove it. It takes a couple of minutes.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
They do help cut down significantly (but of course not totally eliminate) wind noise and buffeting, and help stabilize the temperature in the cabin. I have had the model from Welsh Enterprises for about a year now, and have been very happy with the quality and performance. Welsh Enterprises - New Jaguar Parts, Used Jaguar Parts and Accessories - XK120 - XK140 - XK150 - E-Type - MK - XJ6 - XJ8 - XJ - XK8 - XK - XJS - S-Type - X-Type - XF. At $245 it is not cheap, but it is a bargain compared with the OEM Jaguar accessory. Installation does require a bit of drilling, but it is not too difficult.
Hi, I have a C2N-2266 wind deflector screen for my 07 XK8 that I paid the dealer $434 to install but I could not use it because it eliminated the back seat space for my dog.

So now I have a second car - no fun but better for commute and pooch transport - and I have reinstalled the deflector in the Jag tonight. My concern is the statements here that it takes some engineering to install?

Maybe I did it wrong, but I basically slid the the frame brackets on either side into the slots, tucked the tabs attached to the floppy mesh under the backseat headrest area and wrapped the leather straps around the frame and fastened them into the snaps. Is there anything else I need to do?

It seems that if the dealer charged $434 for it there must be more to it? Is it just an insane markup?

Any additional suggestions and advice are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by viennaevi
Hi, I have a C2N-2266 wind deflector screen for my 07 XK8 that I paid the dealer $434 to install but I could not use it because it eliminated the back seat space for my dog.

So now I have a second car - no fun but better for commute and pooch transport - and I have reinstalled the deflector in the Jag tonight. My concern is the statements here that it takes some engineering to install?

Maybe I did it wrong, but I basically slid the the frame brackets on either side into the slots, tucked the tabs attached to the floppy mesh under the backseat headrest area and wrapped the leather straps around the frame and fastened them into the snaps. Is there anything else I need to do?

It seems that if the dealer charged $434 for it there must be more to it? Is it just an insane markup?

Any additional suggestions and advice are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
You have an '07 XK, which is a completely different car, this is the 96-06 XK8/R section.

In your car, the windscreen basically snaps into place.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam

I actually swapped the left and right mounting brackets to lower the deflector by about three inches. In the "correct" position it just looked to me like it stuck up too high. I didn't like the look. Now, in the lower position it looks good, but the top bar is right in the middle of my view out the rearview mirror. I got used to it though, and it doesn't really bother me.
I just tried this and it does look a lot better.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:15 AM
Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Hi.
Here is mine with coloured surround, bought from XKparts.com. Somewhat low, but I think a nice combination of esthetics and practicallity.

Attached Thumbnails Windscreen for XK8-20130430_165322.jpg   Windscreen for XK8-20130430_165359.jpg   Windscreen for XK8-20130430_165334.jpg  
Old 06-05-2013, 09:06 AM

Thanks, and sorry for posting in the wrong forum. It came up in the search for wind deflector.
ee

Old 12-19-2014, 02:29 PM
Unhappy Rudolph broken leg

Still haven't received my 2000 xk8. The dealer sent me a picture of it on the transport but after they left they came back to the dealer because the trucks engine failed. It's hard to get a car transported to the middle of nowhere. No jag dealers in South Dakota. Nearest dealer is in Denver Colorado so I will have to service it myself. I bought a 2000 because I like the wheels better than the earlier revolver style and I like the one piece seat better than the ones with separate head rests. I believe I have nikasil plated cylinders but have never had any trouble with the nikasil plated cylinders on our five MX race bikes so I took a chance. Haven't heard the car run yet so I don't know if it rattles. Dealer says It doesn't. MFD 12/99 Vin SAJJA42C2YNA04134 Paint LGL Trim AGD

Old 12-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Dennis. This thread deals with windscreens mounted behind the drivers seat to reduce backwind. Your post appears to be more of an introduction for the new member area.
It is confusing when posts not dealing with the thread subject are submitted.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:06 AM

Ok, still trying to figure out the web site. I bought a wind screen on craigs list for 225 but haven,t recieved it yet.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:28 PM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm relatively new TOO, Dennis, still finding out 'protocol' and best way to use the site. My advice would be to just do the best you can. Enjoy your xk8 and come back often, you'll like the place, I do.

frank

Old 01-02-2015, 10:44 PM
Default broken windscreen missing parts

Bought XK8 wind screen on craigs list for 225. After a month it finally showed up bent with the plastic parts that hold the two haves together broken. I can fabricate replacement parts for that but my XK8 does not have the mounting brackets and I don't know what they look like or how it mounts in the car. It appears that it locks in the car but I did not get the keys. Does anyone know where I can buy mounting brackets for the car or where I could find pictures of the brackets to fabricate them? I've had the car for two weeks and it's in great shape but have only driven it ten miles because of weather.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:12 AM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis M
Bought XK8 wind screen on craigs list for 225. After a month it finally showed up bent with the plastic parts that hold the two haves together broken. I can fabricate replacement parts for that but my XK8 does not have the mounting brackets and I don't know what they look like or how it mounts in the car. It appears that it locks in the car but I did not get the keys. Does anyone know where I can buy mounting brackets for the car or where I could find pictures of the brackets to fabricate them? I've had the car for two weeks and it's in great shape but have only driven it ten miles because of weather.
There are several different aftermarket wind deflectors, and two factory deflectors. To answer your question requires we know which one you have, I don't know for sure, but I think the only one with a key lock is the 1st generation factory unit, which I have. I am sure others can chime in if they know if others had a key also. I didn't have the factory mounting kit for mine, so I just installed a Hillman stainless round T nut on each interior trim panel where I thought he deflector mounting pins should be when installed. It was simple, looks fine, works perfectly. I find that the key isnt totally necessary, but it is easier to remove the deflector when the locking push pins are released (needing the key to release the pins - just one side really). Usually I lock the pins sticking out to install it, just makes it easier, and there is enough cushion/flex to do so. Having a key, the way my mounting is set up, isn't entirely necessary.

The following users liked this post:
Dennis M (01-07-2015)