XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive cycle for 2001 XKR help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 01:30 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Drive cycle for 2001 XKR help!

I bought a 2001 XKR a year ago and cant pass emissions because of drive cycle at first my cataytic converter was giving fault code so i replaced both catalytic converters with nameless 200 cell and 4 new oxygen sensors im ready to try again dont know how to pass i charged battery and am ready.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:53 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

If you're getting codes in addition to P1000, the faults will need to be addressed. If just P1000, keep driving. Make sure the fuel level is between 1/4 and 3/4 full.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:40 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for reply there are no fault codes

Old 09-07-2015, 01:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Try the front of the codes PDF - free download w/ JTIS - for the info.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:51 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by skadmiri1
Thanks for reply there are no fault codes
So there is ONLY P1000 (all engine management OBD diagnostic monitor drive cycles HAVE NOT BEEN COMPLETED) showing and you need to have P1111 (all engine management OBD diagnostic monitor drive cycles HAVE BEEN COMPLETED) to pass inspection?

You will eventually get there just by driving the vehicle but this way can take a very long time. A systematic use of 'drive cycles' will get to P1111 a lot faster.

A scantool will tell you which monitoring tests have been completed and which ones have not. Refer to the following to complete the required monitoring tests:

OBD Diagnostic Monitors - Drive Cycles.pdf

Graham

The following users liked this post:
MasterJagTech (08-16-2020)
Old 09-07-2015, 09:37 AM

Isn't ironic that so much fuel needs to be wasted and pollution created just to prove that the car isn't wasting fuel or creating pollution?

The OP's plight is very common in districts that (mis)use OBDII info for license renewal. The fail rate here jumped three fold when they introduced such testing. Very few of these cars are actually broken, they just didn't have a 'clean' P1111 on the particular day the system was interrogated.

The following users liked this post:
Jag#4 (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

Well.... generally that's wrong because the monitors set in a short time except in weird cases such as a fault that's not flagging a code. Can even be an air leak but hey who checks for those if there's no code?

So if 1000 cars all set in a short time but 1 doesn't then not much overall is being wasted and really it would be best if the 1 would investigate rather than go on driving and driving but not all people do that investigation....

Old 09-07-2015, 06:51 PM

The problem is that Joe Average knows nothing about OBDII, drive cycles or DTCs. He knows that he first has to go to a testing station to get a piece of paper stating that 'all is well' in order to submit his license/tag/tax thingy renewal request.

Humans being humans we wait till the last minute to initiate the process. Despite the lack of a CEL, cars here frequently fail either because of an incomplete drive cycle or old irrelevant codes are found to be stored in memory.

The owner is left to either digest and perform the complex drive cycle test as posted by Graham (I've read it three times and my eyes are still crossed) or just keep driving the car hoping all the criteria are met. In the interim, time is running out and the owner most likely has to alter his driving habits to ensure the monitors all complete.

Given that cars are extremely reliable these days,- especially when it comes to pollution systems that generally have a very long warranty period- the volume of cars that are actually polluting is very small. Of those that do have a problem, the number of owners who would either ignore the CEL or attempt to cheat by turning it off right before a test is smaller still.

Forcing a 1000 cars through a test hoping to catch one baddy makes little sense. The testing process probably creates more pollution than is saved by catching that single ne're-do-well. The fact that it costs each conscientious owner time and money to prove their innocence adds insult to injury.

The province of Quebec next door has about the same density of cars as Ontario but has no smog checks. There is no measurable difference in air quality, nor is their a sea of cars being driven with CELs on.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:55 AM
Veteran Member

You're missing the point. I am referring to 1000 which had a problem - which is how they could get the monitors unset, they MUST have done an OBD code clear or the like - and can't get them to set (in jags to get pending code P1000 to change to pending code P1111). As I put, this will happen quickly unless there's a fault. The idea is people have to fix faults.

The remaining 1 probably also has the kind of fault I mentioned. And haven't fixed it.... There's a clue there.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:23 PM

I believe we are on the same page and I do see your point quite well. Ideally there should be zero cases of someone showing up for a test only to be turned away for 'monitors not ready', unless it's a self induced problem. I'm the last one to encourage somebody to ignore a CEL or recurring codes, as witnessed recently in the S-type section with the case of the turbo actuator. Broken cars should be fixed irrespective of whether a license renewal is at stake or not.

The problem here is the large number of owners who show up for a test having no indication that they're going to fail, and have therefore wasted their time and money. The CEL does not illuminate to advise that 'monitors are not ready, wait for drive cycle to complete'. The reasons for the monitors not being ready are various- I got caught off guard with one my cars as my test happened to be on a cold winter's morning and the battery voltage went low enough during crank to upset the whole system. Had the car's system not been interrogated that day, I would be none the wiser about the not ready status and for all I know, each of my cars go through the same loss of status every cold morning.

Again using the idea of 1000 cars and only one is actually defective- it makes little sense for the other 999 to waste time, money and create pollution driving around waiting for the monitors to reset. Again- the owner has no idea if and when the monitors actually do reset but knows that each re-test will cost even more money.

This issue would partially go away if drivers were aware that the car was not ready to be tested (OBDII could be modified to provide a suitable warning message) but better yet since there's no pollution problem to be fixed here- just scrap the test. Our western most province of BC saw the light and dropped theirs some time ago. Ontario remain stuck in the past thinking it's still the dirty 70s and that cars are at fault.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:37 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

It seems to be a fairly common complaint that all the monitors set fairly quickly except for the comprehensive component monitor and people have reported driving hundreds of miles before it would reset.
If it did reset after this driving it's unlikely that they had a fault that healed itself is it?

Old 09-08-2015, 05:55 PM

I think you're right Norri.

It might be worth investing and documenting all possible causes of the cars losing the 'monitors ready' status. If it were not for the testing process, the monitor status would be irrelevant on a day to day basis. I've long maintained that the OBDII system was not designed or is suitable for pollution testing as presently practiced.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

It can't be common for people to have cars that start yet have a battery so terrible it managed to cause the monitors to clear AND the car has to be tested right then and there. Even then, excessive amounts of driving should not be needed to get the monitors to set - though the battery problem may need fixing (and it will probably be dead anyway in this made up weird scenario).

There'll always be 0.0001% or whatever weird cases but they're not an argument for changing test regimes etc.

A small number of Jaguars (exact details in the TSB/letter/etc) have a known, documented problem and at the least the USA authorities are aware and apparently accept it. I don't know if the problem occurs in Canadian cars or in the 4.2 S-Type in Canada. If it does then you'd expect the Canadian authorities to be no worse than the US ones (or there's a fix e.g. PCM reflash)...

It doesn't appear to affect UK cars at all.

It's really hard to see many cars having to do this extended driving but for sure they should follow the drive cycle info. That's not to deny that some drivers will pointlessly drive and drive rather than seeking expert help or the like. Maybe they just like driving? Maybe they also wouldn't ask anyone for directions when lost?

Normal cars with normal drivers will always have the monitors set and remain set every day. Something's gone wrong if that's not the case in a particular car. Usually the owner has cleared codes without performing a fix - directly contrary to the way OBD is specified.

Last edited by JagV8; 09-08-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:

"It can't be common for people to have cars that start yet have a battery so terrible it managed to cause the monitors to clear AND the car has to be tested right then and there."

The point is the monitors did lose their ready status and other than plugging in a code reader had no way of knowing this. Had I been aware, I would have rebooked my appointment for a later date and save $30 and two hours of my time.

Theory and reality are sometimes very different. Two typical local news reports:

"Some Ottawa mechanics estimate half of the cars they see are failing the province's new Drive Clean test, not because they are pumping more pollutants into the atmosphere, but due to how data is saved in memory banks of vehicles."

"Mechanics drive-testing failing vehicles

Down the street at Lorelli Service Centre, mechanic Jim Sanidas simulates daily activities in a customer's vehicle, such as dropping kids off at school and picking up groceries, to build a background of emissions data so he can scan the vehicle.
"We've been driving that Mercedes three or four days now and it still hasn't come ready," said Sanidas.
Volkswagen owners are privy to online instructions to prepare for the on-board diagnostic emission test, which includes 17 specific steps, similar to the five steps provided by the Ministry of Transportation for the Drive Clean test.
Volkswagen's steps include accelerating and decelerating to speeds between 0 km/h and 100 km/h, holding speeds, stopping, starting and repeating the process.
Sanidas's is to book the emissions test two weeks before you need it because there can be a long process to get the Drive Clean stamp of approval.
"Basically you have to give the car back to the customer, tell them to drive it for a week under different conditions, get the monitors ready ... then you can go through with the test," he said."

1 in every 2 cars fails new emissions test, mechanics say - Ottawa - CBC News

"....there are bugs and problems that are frustrating drivers. Many failures are the result of a “not ready” message that can be caused by a number of problems, including if your battery’s been drained and erased emissions data in your car’s computer, or simply not driving “under the conditions to run all monitors.”
The government-recommended solution, drive your car around for a couple of days, get it re-tested, again for a fee.............."

Critics say new Ontario Drive Clean test is a waste of money | Ontario | News |

Old 09-09-2015, 01:57 AM
Veteran Member

Ah... it was in the media so it must be true. And of countless 1000s of cars.

Yeah, right.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:03 AM

So what evidence do you have that this not happening and it's all someone s imagination? This is the umpteenth time this question has come up on this board, each time from someone who needs to pass an emissions test but has monitors not ready.

The statistics quoted in my links are accurate. Each time a car fails, the reasons are stated on the test results and tracked statistically. The numbers are available to the public if a person wishes to dig.

It's entirely possible that your own car has gone into monitors not ready in the last week or month. It might be in that state right now. How would you know without plugging in a reader?

Old 09-09-2015, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

I believe our cars run through a systems test when the key is turned on (or so says my dash) this would be a time to flag this setting but it isn't going to happen so...