Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitting a Parrot Asteroid device to my XKR

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 04:17 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Fitting a Parrot Asteroid device to my XKR

Happy New Year to all.

I've just done the CD butcher to my 2000 model XKR which has the Alpine Premium Audio and the Jag Motorola Car Kit and got to say that without the use of this forum it would not be possible.

I'm now looking at fitting a Parrot Handfree car kit like the Astroid Mini or Astroid Tablet and just wondering if anyone has done this.

My idea, although I'm not sure if this would work would be to use the phone connector in the armrest to connect to the Parrot and that will do the phone part and then use my aux in from the CD butcher method and connect to the line out connector on the Parrot box for audio streaming. I would also be able to reconnect the now unused Audio out from the CD Changer to the ine in on the Parrot. (Although I wouldn't really have the need to use CDs)

I'd just like to know if this has been done and would it work.

Also the Parrot Asteroid Tablet, I'm just wondering if anyone's fitted this in place of the Jag Sat Nav screen.

Any advice, ideas will be greatfully appreciated.

Kind Regards

Rocky15

Old 01-05-2016, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

That sounds very similar to what I did with a Motorola T605 kit, and yes, it all works for phone calls and audio streaming.

Like you I looked at the Asteroid tablet, which looks like it should be a good fit in the original sat nav opening, however the user reviews put me off as it sounds like the Asteroid tablet is buggy and not sufficiently well developed yet.

In theory though it would be a great replacement for the original nav screen.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:35 AM

Many thanks for your reply. I see the T605 is a popular model for these Jags.

Will look into it in more detail.

Regards

Rocky15

Old 01-05-2016, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

The T605 also has an aux in which switches automatically with the Bluetooth audio. I connected the aux in to the CD out at the butchered wiring in the boot, so now I can play from the CD player, or stream music from my Bluetooth phone and the T605 switches automatically between the two.

A Garmin GPS unit replaces the sat nav, so now I have up to date maps as well. Garmin do a 6" unit now, which looks like a better fit than the 5" units, so worth having a look at.

The following users liked this post:
Rocky15 (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Your approach of line in for streaming audio, and the center console for the phone connector is the best in terms of sound quality and maintaining the mute feature for telephone calls.

I have linked below to the write up I did on this. It used an adapter that is no longer available for the audio connection, but your 'butcher the CD changer' would be equivalent.

Here is the document I wrote: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...00-install-pdf

samson2 (01-17-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 04:48 PM

WhiteXKR

Many thanks for the info. I'll have to check what connector I have under my amrest is as someone said there's two types. I'll probably end up cutting the connector and use a terminal block. I'm not really into butchering the car wiring but the Jag phone system will never be used again anyway.

I assume that the info I would need would just be the wiring colour codes in the armrest which I'll check against the info you sent but what I don't quite understand is jumping wires in the boot.

As I already have the jag phone system, is it not just a matter of connecting the wires in the armrest which will be power, mute and phone audio to the parrot unit and away I go.

Kind Regards

Rocky15

Old 01-13-2016, 03:44 PM

Hi

I've only just got round to removing my armrest to see the phone connector.

I removed two connectors that were attached to the Motorola Startac phone cradle and would like to know if this is the correct 10 pin white connector I should use to connect to a Parrot phone kit

I ask this because it's only going to the phone cradle but not sure where it's come from. I assume it's from the Jag phone kit interface which I thought is not required for the Parrot.

There's also a small square connector I unplugged from the phone cradle in the armrest. Is this a mic wire or would it be a phone aerial wire.

I have attached photos of the wiring in the armrest area and the plug attached to the phone cradle.

If this is the correct connector I assume rather than cut the connector off I could use the phone cradle plug and wire as a lead to go to the Parrot..

Help gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Rocky 15

PS White XKR I couldn't open this link

Here is the document I wrote: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/at...00-install-pdf

Old 01-13-2016, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member

That is it.

Not sure why the link is not working. I have attached the docuemnt again to this message.

Year 2000 has different phone wiring than all other years- see Appendix B of the document for the details.

Attached Files
Old 01-14-2016, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rocky15
what I don't quite understand is jumping wires in the boot.
The connections in the armrest are for the phone. If you additionally want to stream audio and switch between CD and Bluetooth music, you need to get at the CD connections in the boot.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:14 PM

Many thanks

WhiteXKR I read the info Appendix B but I don't understand the part about the connectors in the trunk as I have the Jag car kit in the armrest I assume all the wiring is ready in the 10 pin plug. I've also see Discountcarstereo.com sell a cable that they say plugs into the armrest and connects to the Parrot and everything should work.

BT-JAGNP10 Installation harness for Novero Bluetooth Kits select Jaguar :: Bluetooth & Streaming Audio

Also does anyone have the pinout for this connector so I can check and also looking to find out where the wiring from the factory fitted mic ends up as I'm planning on using this cable and putting the parrot mic in the same place as the Jag mic

Kind Regards

Rocky15

Old 02-11-2016, 06:31 PM

Hi

Just wondering if anyone could give some assistance on this please.

I'm in the process of sorting out a car kit for my car. I've been busy stripping it all down as I had to change some bulbs and it's now ready to fit a car kit.

After looking at all the info I'm still unsure about the 10 pin connector as the colour of the wires all appear to be different, so I was wondering if it's the correct connector.

This is the connector that was plugged into the Motorola Startac cradle in the armrest. I've also cut the wire off the cradle and am planning on using it to connect to the Parrot cable.

I used my multimeter and think I have the live + and ground When I switched the ignition on two more wires had a voltage on but I don't think it was a full voltage (multimeter a bit dodgy) although my main concern is picking up the phone audio and mute connections, plus the mic as I'd like to use the existing wiring for the mic.

I'd be grateful if someone could look at the picture to check the connector and the colour of the wires.

Kind Regards

Rocky15

Old 02-12-2016, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member

You don't use the connector that was plugged into the phone cradle - that goes to the module behind the rear seats. You need the yellow 14-pin connector that is shown at the top of your picture. Unplug that - just checked and its the female connector you connect to.

Last edited by dibbit; 02-12-2016 at 03:01 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:13 AM

Many thanks for that. Looks like I've been reading the wrong info as I was told on my 2000 model it's the 10 pin connector and assumed the one connected to the phone cradle was the one. I did think it would have been connected to some sort of module but wasn't sure and there's no mention for cars fitting with this kit.

Anyway I've got a pinout for the 14 way plug hopefully a correct one so I take it I unplug it, leave it unplugged and just get to the wires for mute and phone audio pins 6 7 & 8 according to my info and mic connectors if I want to use the car wiring.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

No, on the 2000 model year, it is a 10 pin connector, On the 2001, like dibit has, it is a 14 pin connector.

As far as the trunk connection go, since you already had a phone in your car, you have a you might not need to do the special 2000 model year jumpers in the boot that I had in Appendix B of the document I pointed you to because those connections are made with the cellular module already in the boot. I am not certain on this point...you will have to try it.

Unfortunately the 2000 model year is different than all the others as far a the phone connections go and a bit of a pain. More information in this thread, especially post #53: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...8-48619/page5/

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 02-12-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:35 PM

Hi

Starting to scratch my head here. I've been out today and bought a Parrot Asteroid Mini plus the 14 pin connector to make my own lead as I was hoping to use it to push in the phone audio and mute.

If it's the 10 pin connector I use please can you confirm I should be using the one that the phone cradle was plugged into. Also please can you take a look at the picture I sent as the color of the wires are different to that of appendix B.

If it is I can make a lead using the connector from the cradle itself which I cut off.

Also if it is the 10 pin connector I use i'm curious to know what the 14 pin one is for.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

Rocky15

Old 02-13-2016, 08:37 AM

Hi

I've just checked my connectors.

The only 10 pin one is the connector for the phone cradle.

The other 4 connectors are as follows

I have 20 pin yellow at the top of my picture underneath the white one

14 pin white on top

and then

18 pin yellow

and 20 pin white on the other side

Anyone have any ideas.

Also doesn't the mute and phone audio go straight to the radio instead of the amp

Old 02-14-2016, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Rocky, you are going to need to remove the 'cellular telephone control module' from the factory phone that is in the boot. The connections you need are on connectors RT2 (12 position) and RT5 (16 position) that go to this module. These are located at the very rear of the boot (where the taillights are mounted), just left of center.

The connections are in the thread I posted above and also in appendix B of the document I posted above. YOU NEED TO LOOK AT THESE AND UNDERSTAND THEM TO INSTALL BLUETOOTH in A YEAR 2000 XK8.

Now, if you wish, you can make these connections directly in the boot, OR you can wire in the jumpers as described above and have the connections come out of the 10 pin connection in the console.

The wiring diagram of your car is here: http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa.../jagxk2000.pdf. Figure 17.1 is your main interest. RT3 is the 10 pin console connector.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 02-14-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Rocky15 (02-14-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 03:16 PM

Hi

I've been studying the diagram and I located this black box in the trunk in between the tail light. I noticed a big black connector on it.

Please can you explain what RT2 (12) is as in the diagram it goes towards the mic and what's RT5 15.

I'll just want to take straight connections from the boot as it will sound easier. I just need the phone audio plus mute, but aren't these on the connections RT5 10,11,15,& 16. If so I see they go straight to the head unit so I'm wondering in I can tap in the harness that connects to IC20 on the head unit. Although I'd rather not cut any wires but looks like I might have to

Regards

Rocky

Old 02-14-2016, 05:40 PM

Hi WhiteXKR

With the help of the diagram I now have a much better understanding. The confusion has been with the 10 pin connector which was only for the handset and also the fact I had the phone module in the boot which had the two connectors plugged into.

Now I've seen all the colored wires I understand the reason for jumpering them, so the signals go back into the console just as though the phone module was never there.

After studying the diagram what I might just do is cut the phone audio and mute wires near the back of the radio as it's just the blue, blue/yellow and white/black and just feed in there. This sounds very simple.

Power should be easy to pick up from radio, cigar lighter etc and I'll just pick up the mic wire in the boot as I'll use the factory mic or at least the factory mic wire.

Many thanks and Kind Regards

Rocky15

Old 02-18-2016, 04:22 AM

Hi

I've just done all the wiring as per the WhiteXKRs instructions but on connecting everything up it appears the stereo is not muting and also now my aerial is not working (not sure if this is a coincidental fault)

I'm convince the wiring is correct and was wondering if there's something in the Jag radio that needs reprogramming.

Also what's the best way to test the mute. Should I ground the mute wire or not.

Kind Regards

Rocky15

Quick Reply: Fitting a Parrot Asteroid device to my XKR