E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Bad ac thermostatic control switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad ac thermostatic control switch

I restored my 73 e-type 2+2 V12 and completely rebuilt the AC unit. It was working fine, but the AC thermostatic switch(the temp adjust knob on the left side with the designation, "cooler") began to work only on the coldest setting for a while and now it won't work at all. I had replaced the blower switch which is fine. Compressor and coolant levels are fine. I cannot find a replacement switch anywhere. On the side of the switch is labeled Slenderstat 6(6) A 250V Ranco. Any ideas where I could get a switch or a workaround using another switch? I tried dismantling it to fix it but it's not possible.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:47 PM
Received 109 Likes on 92 Posts

I would take it to a local A/C warehouse and see if the counter person could match it up to a new one.
Is there a model number stamped on it? Do you have the parts book? If yes it may have more info or model number. The parts books are available on the JCNA web site.
https://www.jcna.com/shop/items/56

If all else fails, you may want to contact George Camp, he is the Author of the "JCNA Jaguar Air Conditioning Judges’ Guide 1955 to 1971". it doesn't cover the Series lII e-type but he may know. He is on this forum every so often.

Cheers,
Bob

Old 04-12-2019, 01:19 PM

Bob:
I did some more research. NOBODY from XKs to Stu Jones had the part or a workaround. I found the name and company stamped on the side. It is "Slendertemp" from Ranco, 6A, 250 V. It's a US product since all the early AC units were US made. They stopped using these manual controls on most cars by the 80s when climate control came into effect. BUT, turns out this is a very generic part that is still readily available and used on commercial and home AC units and refrigerator units. The cost is about $18 so I ordered one. The size is about the same, the same 2 leads, and 18" tube, but I may have to modify it slightly to attach it to the facing. The Jag suppliers aren't aware of a fix because it's rare that they fail. I'll let you know how I did when I get it and try to install it.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:03 PM
Received 109 Likes on 92 Posts

If what you get isn't close enough to what was originally in there, let me know. I'll contact my friends down at Vintage Air and see what they use.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:30 PM
Default A/C controller

Originally Posted by George Priest
Bob:
I did some more research. NOBODY from XKs to Stu Jones had the part or a workaround. I found the name and company stamped on the side. It is "Slendertemp" from Ranco, 6A, 250 V. It's a US product since all the early AC units were US made. They stopped using these manual controls on most cars by the 80s when climate control came into effect. BUT, turns out this is a very generic part that is still readily available and used on commercial and home AC units and refrigerator units. The cost is about $18 so I ordered one. The size is about the same, the same 2 leads, and 18" tube, but I may have to modify it slightly to attach it to the facing. The Jag suppliers aren't aware of a fix because it's rare that they fail. I'll let you know how I did when I get it and try to install it.
Did the new switch work out for you (work correctly, fit right in or need modification, etc... and if so do you happen to have the part # info that you used? Thanks for any info