E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Purchase Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 03:18 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Purchase Help

Fellow Jaguar enthusiasts -- I've been lurking on this forum for a while, trying to educate myself so I can spend my money wisely. I have a small sum I can (finally) spend on the car I've always wanted, but the decision path is way harder than I imagined.
I could use sone expert guidance on XKE I've been keeping an eye on. This car is the series, the color, and overall condition I am looking for: https://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/show/DEN/841
There are a few head-scratchers though: 2) I don't know if it's a matching numbers car (no answer so far to my inquiry). 2) It doesn't come with the Jaguar Heritage Certificate. 3) Funny hosing restoration (see pics). 4) Carbs and air filter modifications (see pics).
I could make an offer today, but there's the proverbial little voice in my ear that is telling me not to. I could really use an expert opinion. Many thanks!

Dan

Old 01-21-2021, 06:28 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

So it's not a bad car. But... If you're looking for dead stock, you have some problems. The seat bottoms aren't correct, which is odd because the backs look ok. maybe the bottoms are installed backwards.You'll have to hunt up a period radio. As for under the hood, all of the bling would have to go. The coolant hoses aren't that big a deal, you just buy a hose kit and a bag of clips and go at it. But the fuel stuff is more of a challenge. The carb feed pipe has been replaced with steel braid, so you would have to find a new hard pipe. Same for the crankcase vent. Ad those filters are just silly, s0 a complete air cleaner is on your list. Were you looking for headers? You may find the sound to be loud.Going back to manifolds will cost you a bit. No windshield washer tank. Lucas tripods are nice headlamps, but incorrect for this car. The Pirelli 6000 tires haven't been available in 205-65R15 for awhile, so make sure they're fresh. These tires aren't stock, the correct size is 185R15, which has a tall 82 aspect ratio. Not awful, but there's some work and cost here, and that's just a five minute look.

These cars don't come with birth certificates, the heritage certificate is something you can buy from Jaguar as an owner. There won't be a lot of information on it, but if you don't trust the data plate, it can give you confirmation. Until the last couple of years, I'd say that matching numbers doesn't matter with these cars, nowadays it does.

The following 2 users liked this post by mxfrank:
Dan219 (01-24-2021), JagGuardian (01-29-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 04:06 AM
Received 125 Likes on 78 Posts

Appearances can be VERY deceiving. Do what I did; get someone who really knows E Types to look at it for you. Even if you pay them. I paid quite a lot to get someone to look at my purchase; he told me it was a bag of rubbish that would cost a fortune to get sorted, even though it looked ok. Next car, he rated highly so I bought it. Done 30,000 trouble free miles since, and car still looks great. When I look back at the other car, I can see with hindsight all the things that weren't quite right. Best money I ever spent getting a pro to vet it.

The following 2 users liked this post by dibbyandco:
Dan219 (01-24-2021), JagGuardian (01-29-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 04:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this particular car has caught your eye, you could always go and drive it. That way you will know first hand what is acceptable and; you may find something(s )that are not. Actually, Malcolm has the right idea, a knowledgeable source dispatched armed with your concerns You can always go join your expert - and gain the experience as part of the cost..

1967 XKE OTS

Jim
Huntsville, TX

Old 01-22-2021, 04:49 AM
Received 125 Likes on 78 Posts

Jim's right. When I had my expert look, I went with him. Learned lots that way.

The following 2 users liked this post by dibbyandco:
Dan219 (01-24-2021), JagGuardian (02-08-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 08:03 AM

Thank you all, really!
Yes, I could fly to Denver and check out this car first hand, but quite honestly, unless there is something blatantly wrong with it, I would not get much more than just looking at the pictures. I am a quick study and I know the basics when it comes to cars, but I am NOT an expert and even less of an XKE expert!
I've been looking for someone in the Seattle area to engage with, exactly for the reason you are all recommending. No luck so far, but If there is someone on this forum in the PNW, please IM me. For now, I think I am going to pass on this one. Too risky. Thank you for all your VERY valuable comments!

Old 01-22-2021, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,435 Likes on 1,941 Posts

If you were buying that car in the UK the price would probably be much higher, The price as advertised converted to GBP (£) is just under £72000 which is good for a roadster. It costs a lot of money to restore an E-type and the one you're looking at looks pretty good. OK, it may not be stock in a few places, but does that matter ? Are you going to enjoy the car, or just lock it away as an "investment". Just to let you know that a chap in the US posted on here last year about a coupe on sale here in the UK at a very reasonable price. It was LHD and had come from the US to England. I was able to give some advice about the dealer, who had been around a very long time up here in the north-west of England. He bought the car, and I understand it needed a few minor things doing, but all the main stuff had been done, and done well.
For that car at that sort of money, it really needs for you to view it, or for somebody to view it on your behalf. Always remember that Jaguar built to a price and the original cars reflected that. They were by no means fault free when new, and improvements to driveability and durability are nice to have. If I had the money, that's the kind of car I'd buy; rebuilt to use, not a museum piece.

The following users liked this post:
Dan219 (01-24-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 07:30 PM
Received 675 Likes on 488 Posts

I bought my '70 from back East and felt the same way you did. That I could figure it out remotely and it wasn't worth the trip. Huge mistake. I've also used a mechanic service, again that didn't initially end well (they ended up writing me a check for $2K, the guy even missed the cracked windshield). I wouldn't buy anything but a brand new car without seeing it personally as a result. However, you might see if there is a local Jaguar club chapter as they might be able to help you out.

The following 2 users liked this post by enderle:
Dan219 (01-24-2021), JagGuardian (02-08-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by enderle
I bought my '70 from back East and felt the same way you did. That I could figure it out remotely and it wasn't worth the trip. Huge mistake. I've also used a mechanic service, again that didn't initially end well (they ended up writing me a check for $2K, the guy even missed the cracked windshield). I wouldn't buy anything but a brand new car without seeing it personally as a result. However, you might see if there is a local Jaguar club chapter as they might be able to help you out.
I hear you. Your advice makes me feel better about my instinct.
For this Denver car specifically, the dealer sent me a 16 pages appraisal done by some local guy that apparently has all credentials and qualifications. I read through the pages at least 5 times and I'd be lying to myself if I told you that I feel any more confident about it. I may not be an expert, but the idea of cutting—sight unseen—a $100K check, based on a total stranger's opinion is very unsettling. If home buying is a relatable experience, the "expert" that inspected my house at the time of purchase, missed a major water leak from the roof that 6 months later I ended up fixing at my expenses. A little $60,000 miss. Not going to make the same mistake twice.

Old 01-24-2021, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,435 Likes on 1,941 Posts

The big problem in the USA is the car that is the "right one" is usually not within a reasonable day's drive away. Here in the UK one can get most places in a day, sometimes an overnight stay will be needed, but that's about it. I always say "never buy sight unseen" and its difficult to give advice when this car looks very good, at least to me anyway. There are far too many scams on the internet with cars for sale "at the right price" that don't exist, so caution is essential. The avenue to look at is "Escrow" where a third party agreeable by bot h parties handles the sale and takes money in "escrow" and hands this over when the agreement is completed.

However, this chap I advised last year on the E-type Coupe in the UK bought it sight-unseen and it was all OK, and the price was right. Unfortunately due to our Covid19 lockdown, I couldn't go and look at the car, which was quite close to Preston so not far away from me. Things ended up OK despite this, mainly because the dealer could be identified as having been in business for decades in the same family so had a good reputation.

Dan219 (01-24-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 01:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan219
Fellow Jaguar enthusiasts -- I've been lurking on this forum for a while, trying to educate myself so I can spend my money wisely. I have a small sum I can (finally) spend on the car I've always wanted, but the decision path is way harder than I imagined.
I could use sone expert guidance on XKE I've been keeping an eye on. This car is the series, the color, and overall condition I am looking for: https://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/show/DEN/841
There are a few head-scratchers though: 2) I don't know if it's a matching numbers car (no answer so far to my inquiry). 2) It doesn't come with the Jaguar Heritage Certificate. 3) Funny hosing restoration (see pics). 4) Carbs and air filter modifications (see pics).
I could make an offer today, but there's the proverbial little voice in my ear that is telling me not to. I could really use an expert opinion. Many thanks!

Dan
It's a pretty car. on the outside. We have a very active JCNA chapter in Denver, I'm sure a couple of us would be happy to put eyes on it for you. If it passed that smoke test I'm sure one of the mechanics I know would be happy to look at it for you (for a price of course). Call me if you are still interested. Herb 303-919-9199

JagGuardian (02-08-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 01:48 PM

A couple other observations... This is a '68 and should have the twin Strombergs on it not the more desirable triple SUs. Also, notice that the frame appears to be painted black not the correct body color. That said, it is fairly close to where I live and they are open Saturday's if you want me to spin by and take a look. If you want to make up a check list I'd be happy to go through it and I'll take a fridge magnet.

Best of luck on your search,

Herb

Old 02-02-2021, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by OCDHerb
A couple other observations... This is a '68 and should have the twin Strombergs on it not the more desirable triple SUs. Also, notice that the frame appears to be painted black not the correct body color. That said, it is fairly close to where I live and they are open Saturday's if you want me to spin by and take a look. If you want to make up a check list I'd be happy to go through it and I'll take a fridge magnet.

Best of luck on your search,

Herb
Hi Herb -- Sorry I did not see your message/offer until now. If I am still in time, I'd like to take you up on that! Here's what I'd like to better understand:
1. Carburetors. Yes the SUs are incorrect for this year, but since they are more desirable than the double-Stromberg should I consider this a plus or a minus?
2. Looking very closely to some of the pictures, the car struck me for not being the original color, in fact I suspect it was originally painted in Primrose Yellow. Is the old paint indeed showing up in some areas (passenger door frame on the upper left) or is it just a reflection in the pic?
3. Rust on the undercarriage. Is there more than just superficial?

Any other comment and observation is more than welcome.

Thanks!

JagGuardian (02-08-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dan219
Hi Herb -- Sorry I did not see your message/offer until now. If I am still in time, I'd like to take you up on that! Here's what I'd like to better understand:
1. Carburetors. Yes the SUs are incorrect for this year, but since they are more desirable than the double-Stromberg should I consider this a plus or a minus?
2. Looking very closely to some of the pictures, the car struck me for not being the original color, in fact I suspect it was originally painted in Primrose Yellow. Is the old paint indeed showing up in some areas (passenger door frame on the upper left) or is it just a reflection in the pic?
3. Rust on the undercarriage. Is there more than just superficial?

Any other comment and observation is more than welcome.

Thanks!
I'll see if I can make a reservation to go see the car on Saturday. Please put together a check list of what you would be looking for if you were looking at the car yourself. I'll act as your eyes. BTW I am not a registered concourse judge. However, I have been through the process of buying a 67 S1 OTS e-type which is currently undergoing a complete restoration. The mechanic I am working with is great and I would recommend that he look at it before you make a final decision.

BTW there is a primrose 68 OTS in Hemmings that is also located in CO. From the few pictures it seems to be in better shape than the one you have in mind. Let me know if you want me to go see it.

Hope I can be of help,

Herb

Last edited by OCDHerb; 02-03-2021 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:11 PM

Please put together a check list of what you would be looking for if you were looking at the car yourself. I'll act as your eyes.
1. Rust and paint originality?
2. The frame struts are black, have they been replaced because of an accident?
3. Does it drive straight?

BTW there is a primrose 68 OTS in Hemmings that is also located in CO. From the few pictures it seems to be in better shape than the one you have in mind. Let me know if you want me to go see it.
I think you are referring to the 1.5 with Farland Classics. I've been in touch with them for a couple of weeks and have a ton of pics. Pros and cons also with this one. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on this one and then decided to give myself a little more time. I am just not fully convinced.

Thank you!!

Old 02-03-2021, 01:54 PM

I'm thinking about using Farland to do the metal work on my restoration. Will be visiting them on Friday. Let me know if you want me to look at the primrose e-type.
Herb.

Dan219 (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 08:43 PM
Received 142 Likes on 105 Posts

In the photo of the data plate (probably a reproduction data plate) I see rust in the seam above. That does make me wonder how much other rust is underneath the very pretty exterior. And yes, the triple SU's may not be stock, but they work a lot better than the dual Strombergs. In some areas, that may be a problem because emissions are not stock. And it needs some real air filters. Is that a tear in the driver door card?

Dan219 (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 10:06 PM

All — first of all, thank you for all the replies. You have helped me way more than I hoped. I decided to pivot on this car and focus on another one I have found today. It’s a better car in general and best of all, I have a trusted XKE expert in the location where the car is. Herb, special thanks to you and your generous offer for help. If this other car was in Colorado, I’d lean on you. If everything goes well, I’ll continue on this forum as an owner and hopefully, with time, I’ll be able to offer some humble contributions too. Thank you!!

Old 02-04-2021, 10:17 AM
Received 675 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Best of Luck

Looking forward to seeing what you end up with, good hunting!