F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

Front diff locked?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 08:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front diff locked?

I posted a question about this last winter, so the problem has been here since new. 2017 S with 22" P-Zeros. When the temperature drops below about 40 degrees, the front tires "chuff" during tight turns. The colder the temperature, the worse it is. It feels as if the front differential is locked. Recently, because of the extreme low temps, even larger radius turns are effected. The front tires are showing signs of abnormal wear. I can't even pull out of my driveway without making a three-point turn. Has anyone else experienced this? I have checked the low-friction modes, and the display page that shows the depiction of power to the front and rear wheels. All shows normal. I imagine there is a temerature sensor that the central computer uses to input how the traction control and all wheel drive works? I haven't felt anything so abnormal since driving a 1950's ****** with a locking front axle. I will take it into the dealer tomorrow, but hate that thought. Between the electronic nightmares, an aloof and unresponsive dealership, and this locking diff problem, I'm ready to trade my F-Pace in! Any insights? Thanks!

Old 01-01-2018, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

While possible, it is unlikely that this is related to differential.

I think the issue is alignment. When temperature drops, your summer P-Zeros drastically lose traction, to the point that your bad alignment now causes noise.

a. Jaguars are notorious for bad alignment from factory
b. You shouldn't be driving on summer tires in the winter, as it is dangerous

If your dealer are idiots, find a different dealer to work with.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:46 PM

It's not noise, and it's not the tires. Summer compounds are not optimal for cold weather, but they are certainly not unsafe on dry roads in cold temperatures. The wheels are not spinning freely in tight turns. I've read some of the replies to related threads. People seem to be patting us on the head and blaming Summer tires in cold weather. I've been a car guy for 50 years ... I know the difference. And why should I be forced to drive three hours or more to a different dealer? JLR needs to up their game, or they will loose me and many more.

Last edited by UalCapt; 01-01-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by UalCapt
they are certainly not unsafe on dry roads in cold temperatures.
Disagree.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...vs-summer.html

Snow: And that brings us to our next test: full stops with ABS engaged. Here again the snow tires dominate, stopping from 40 mph in 156 feet, some 28 feet shorter than the all-season tires' 184-foot performance. Meanwhile, our summer tires skate to an ultimate distance of 351 feet, the ABS actuator rattling for all it's worth the whole way.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Also:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=P+Zero+System

Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius), so the P Zero System tires, like all summer tires, is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:54 AM

Well, my apologies to all who have said this is a tire issue. After long discussions with Tire Rack, the dealer, and much research on various forums, it appears this issue involves both the suspension design and the Pirelli P-Zero. Both are known causes. In fact, my service manager told me this morning that this issue is known to happen on several different Jaguar models, and that even changing to all season tires won't make it disappear completely. I think that this is the final straw for me. I have owned seven Jaguars over the years, and realize that the brand is a compromise. One gives up reliability for style. I get that, and I expected it in my classic Jaguars. What I am astounded at, after a year of F-Pace ownership, is that JLR is STILL plagued by poor reliability, poor IT, and poor dealership experience. This is the final straw for me. I am supposed to just live with the fact that my new $70K vehicle feels like a vintage ****** in cold weather. I don't think so. I will be looking to trade in my F-Pace (at what probably will be a financial loss) for a new Audi, MB, or BMW. Friends with these vehicles have nothing but glowing reviews. I am greatly saddened by this descision, but feel that I have been left with no choice. Good luck to all of you! ... Mark

Old 01-02-2018, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member

Before you give up on F-pace at a great financial loss, as you will be trading in almost new car at wholesale price and eating initial depreciation, at least try following:

a. Get a set of new winter or 4 season tires, something that is designed to run in cold
b. Get alignment checked
c. Get front differential oil replaced, ask them to use synthetic fluid

If this is the only issue, trading in is overreaction.

The following users liked this post:
UalCapt (01-04-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 07:29 AM

I'm back. Last week, I put a set of Michelin Premier LTX all-season (265/40R22) tires on. The difference is night and day! Not only is the problem completely gone, but the car now rides quieter and smoother, the turn-in and handling are just as good, and the steering is lighter and better balanced. I could not be happier with these tires! Still not happy with the dealer though. Two more small scratches from the service department (second time this has happened), and they charged me $40 for tire recycling and disposal, then put the old tires in the rear. Coincidently, while I was outside, a tech drove by in a new XJR and the front tires did the same skipping / chuffing. Oh well. Back to being (mostly) in love with my F-Pace.