F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

Used F-Pace

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 12:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Used F-Pace

I currently own a 2009 VDP which has not been without issues over the past several years. However, I do like the car.

I also find myself in the need of a second vehicle and looking at a used 2017 F-Pace S V6 Supercharged. The price seems comparable with others in the catagory but I am unsure if this is a vehicle that I should be getting based on a minor Internet search for reviews.

Any thoughts on this vehicle would be helpful. (Canada)

Peter

Old 12-09-2022, 01:31 PM
GGG
Received 16,826 Likes on 12,179 Posts

2009 was a model change year so you could have one of the last X350 or one of the first X351 ........ Whichever model it is, you are likely to be disappointed with interior quality in the F-Pace. Although the design and equipment is typical Jaguar, trim is cheap by comparison. That being said, I chose mine for its load carrying capacity and it fulfills that requirement perfectly. My first choice for this was a Porsche Cayenne 3.0D but I came to loathe it so much, it only stayed eleven months. I have not regretted the change to an F-Pace.

Like you, I was concerned by some very negative reports on reliability. Certainly the engines, of either fuel type and all capacities are nothing like as robust as the earlier generation of 4.2 and 5.0 units from Jaguar.

Any used Jaguar is only as good as its previous owner. Documented service history, preferably with supporting invoices, is critical. Mine is one previous owner with full history from the same JLR Dealer but it was the fourth of this same provenance I'd viewed.

Graham

Old 12-09-2022, 01:45 PM

Good info. Sounds like other than the inferior interior the vehicle itself is decent. I hope I understood it that way. For sure, previous ownership service is a big deal.

Yup, one of the few 09s made. Wish it was Supercharged. Seems like everytime I turn it on there is some sort of light on the dash. O2 sensors don't seem to last a long time.

22 inch rims and only comes with all seasons which are low. Will need winters. 8 tires for 22 inch rims sounds large $

Peter

Old 12-12-2022, 02:49 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Peterinio
..... Seems like everytime I turn it on there is some sort of light on the dash. .....
Peter,

Do you use a battery tender? Random dash lights and messages are a regular symptom of a partially discharged or failing battery.

Graham

Old 12-28-2022, 03:35 PM

Well, its been about ten days with my 2017 F-Pace and already an issue. Yesterday it went from showing low coolant to overhaeting in a "hot-minute" and coolant leak. Thankfully it has been diagnosed as a waterpump. Hopefully no block/head warping.
I happened to see a forum which refers cold temps that can cause this, or coolant pipe leaks. Not the kind of thing I want to hear before heading up North into cold and snow. Canada can be that way sometimes.

Old 12-29-2022, 03:29 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Peterinio
Well, its been about ten days with my 2017 F-Pace and already an issue. Yesterday it went from showing low coolant to overhaeting in a "hot-minute" and coolant leak. Thankfully it has been diagnosed as a waterpump. Hopefully no block/head warping.
I happened to see a forum which refers cold temps that can cause this, or coolant pipe leaks. Not the kind of thing I want to hear before heading up North into cold and snow. Canada can be that way sometimes.
Water pumps and plastic cooling system components have been troublesome on several recent Jaguar models as the many threads on this topic across our forums demonstrate. Fortunately a failed water pump doesn't usually cause anything more serious when caught quickly.

Nothing remotely like Canada but we did have three consecutive nights recently with temperatures several degrees below zero and my F-Pace was standing outside. I couldn't believe the screen washers would freeze and not even thaw with a 20 mile drive! The second day I used Remote Start to pre-warm the vehicle but they were still frozen. The reservoir is filled with Jaguar screen wash from the last dealer service so good luck in the real cold zone.

Graham

Old 12-29-2022, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Water pumps and plastic cooling system components have been troublesome on several recent Jaguar models as the many threads on this topic across our forums demonstrate. Fortunately a failed water pump doesn't usually cause anything more serious when caught quickly.

Nothing remotely like Canada but we did have three consecutive nights recently with temperatures several degrees below zero and my F-Pace was standing outside. I couldn't believe the screen washers would freeze and not even thaw with a 20 mile drive! The second day I used Remote Start to pre-warm the vehicle but they were still frozen. The reservoir is filled with Jaguar screen wash from the last dealer service so good luck in the real cold zone.

Graham
Well I should have learned from all the little issues I have had with my '09 VDP. I should stop assuming that higher priced quality cars are better when in fact the less expensive and lower quality ones are usually less worry.
Peter

Old 01-03-2023, 06:57 PM

Not only the water pump but now I have been told the pipes under the supercharger need to be replaced as they are leaking so the bill is likely around $4k.
To recap, I purchased the 2017 F-Pace a week before all of these issues but before I did I had a Jaguar dealer check it all out which included anything needed for the cert. They say this issue is something they wouldn't have been able to see but I am not completely convinced. Second and kost likely my last Jag.

Old 01-04-2023, 04:21 AM
GGG

By 'Jaguar Dealer check' do you mean this is a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) vehicle? Jaguar CPO checklist includes Coolant Hoses. It does NOT specifiy only those that are visible:

My XK was CPO but my F-Pace isn't. Both are one owner vehicles with full service histories from the supplying dealership but the warranty cover on the two is very different.

Graham

Old 01-04-2023, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Where did you buy the car? If you've only had it 10 days and got these issues, won't the selling dealer pay for it? Or are you able to return it within 30 days like many used car purchases?

These are common on the V6 and V8 Jag engines. The water pumps wear and leak eventually (not just a Jag issue as they don't make the part!). And like many modern cars the excessive plastic piping in the cooling system goes brittle and can leak eventually. That seems early for a 2017 car. How many miles?

If you're paying out of pocket find an Indy garage. It's easy work and sounds like you are paying 2x what you should
Also there are aftermarket metal pipes to replace the plastic cooling system pipes. Maybe consider that so it's not an issue in the future

I agree they may not see this on an inspection but the fact that it lost coolant within 10 days of buying it makes me think the previous owner had the issue and quickly unloaded it.... I would push hard for the dealer you bought it from to pay

Old 01-04-2023, 10:55 AM

Purchased privately... Ugh!

I have written a letter to the dealer that I requested to fully inspect before purchase and noted the 165 point checklist (thanks Graham). The list of items keeps growing. Waterpump and hoses plus coolant etc., cross over pipes, and now there are two additional hoses (vacuum and something else) that apparetnly disintegrated upon removal. The gift that keep on giving...

Caveat emptor

Peter

Old 01-06-2023, 01:09 PM

Now I am about as upset as I could be. The garage replaced the water pump and hoses as well as the garbage plastic pipes under the supercharger and now they say the heads have to come off because likely the head gasket is blown and the engine likely done.

I am so disalusioned that car manufactuers make such terrible junk. Bought it privately. Had Jag dealer check it thoroughly and 1 week later catastrophic damage. The heat gauge did not indicate overheating.

I am literally sick

Last edited by Peterinio; 01-06-2023 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-06-2023, 02:44 PM

At this point I don't even know what to do. Dealer says could run $20,000 for an engine re/re. Nobody to speak at Head Office.

Sad day here.

Old 01-06-2023, 05:42 PM
GGG

If this happened to me in England, I'd be taking it up with Jaguar Customer Relations in Coventry. In the USA you should consider doing the same through Jaguar North America.

Graham

Old 01-06-2023, 06:41 PM

I have reached out to Jag corp customer service and of course they say its out of warranty. The Jag service says even if Head Office does help it will be very little.

I really don't know what the right answer is at this point. My eyes are opened wide to the cost saving tactics high end manufacturers choose. They can't make a vehicle that will last 5 years. I understand why these things drop so much in value when the warranty runs out. Its all smoke and mirrors. Lipstick on a pig. This is wrong every which way and I am the one holding the bag. Peter

The following users liked this post:
GGG (01-07-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 04:47 PM

Graham. I was a sales manager at a Nissan dealership back in the 90's. Back then we would reach out to our area tech support and they would get involved and include the customer in discussion. I was told today that Jaguar used to operate similarly but as of a few years ago everything changed. The only point of contact for both the customer and the dealer is customer service for Jaguar North America. Same phone number.

I spoke with a couple of these cs girls and so far it appears to be like a wall between the customer/dealer and Jaguar. Of course this makes it all impersonal and likely a waste of time.

With all the apparent known issues on this model which are likely to cause catastophic damage (not if, but when) it's a wonder there isn't a class action suit underway. Peter.