F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC vent trim replacement part help

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 09:00 AM
Received 177 Likes on 49 Posts
Default AC vent trim replacement part help

My passenger's side trim around the AC vent is badly worn and is quite sticky. Anyone know that part number the black plastic piece surround is? I've found a few sites with Jaguar parts for sale but that piece is not showing up in any of my searches.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

The surround is part of the vent assembly. (Prices in GBP at time of writing.)

Black, RH, To VIN (K22184), T2R5164PAJ, £49.26, 2 day lead.
Jet, RH, From VIN (K22185), T2R17781PVJ, £78.20, 2 day lead.

The latter part is when they changed from the soft-feel paint that goes sticky to a fine textured moulding. If you put a pre and post change part side-by-side you would notice the slight difference in finish, but you won't notice the difference from the vent on the other side of the car.

Note that some people have stripped the paint finish off completely to leave a plain part behind, so you could clean it up to an acceptable finish if you'd prefer not to replace. Others could advise what worked for them to remove the paint as I've never tried it.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (10-18-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 07:17 AM
Received 177 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks, xdave. Are there any existing tutorial on the removals of these trims? It looks like just using a trim removal plastic piece to pry it out.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

1) Pry the front edge of the plastic side panel off first, then pull it towards you to remove the rear hooks.

2) Remove the hex screws shown to remove the glove box. The bottom two are looking up from the footwell.

3) Unclip the wiring harness for the glove box lamp/latch.

4) Unscrew the vent and pull off. It appears you remove the bottom two first then flex it down to remove the top two.

The following 3 users liked this post by xdave:
Carbuff2 (10-21-2018), Paul champagne (10-20-2018), Valerie Stabenow (08-22-2023)
Old 10-20-2018, 10:47 AM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

That is very informative. Thanks
Is that from the repair manual?
What search criteria did you use to get this?

Old 10-21-2018, 03:17 AM
Veteran Member

The pictures were extracted from the steps for glove box and vent removal on TOPIX, JLRs support resource site (paid subscription needed). https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/vehicle/index
All the JLR workshop manuals are the same regardless of model so I just jumped into section 412 (electrical, climate control) and 501-12 (Body and paint, instrument panel and console) to pull the steps needed.

There are a few workshop manual 'dumps' floating around where people have saved out each set of workshop instructions as PDF files, which can be found online and even on this forum (there is one thread with links in the recent posts list here this morning).
Most workshop steps will be the same or very similar between the model years so the dumps can be useful to have if you don't need live info.

Paul champagne (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 03:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
That is very informative. Thanks
Is that from the repair manual?
What search criteria did you use to get this?
Paul.
If you haven't already got it get a copy of the 2015 V6S Workshop Manual from my Dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d52ciochjn...anual.pdf?dl=0
That said it's not real easy to find what you need and xdave has done a magnificent job finding and stitching together the bits you need.

Paul champagne (10-21-2018)
Old 08-02-2022, 07:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an incredibly old thread but how is it in 2022 no one has 3D printed these for replacement vs. $180 for the entire assembly?

Old 08-21-2023, 12:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Or, you could do what I did yesterday and just pry the outer vent trims out of the dash with a plastic trim removal tool. It was a bit sketchy, but it appears to have worked and I didn't have to do all of the disassembly described in the service manual. I don't see any broken clips, but we'll see how they go back in as it was a bit of a chore to pry them out, but out they came. I removed those along with my steering wheel and door release surround trim pieces as they were all gummed up and sticky, and looking rather ragged. I ended up ordering new door release surround trim pieces as some of the clips on them were broken and I wasn't able to strip the paint off of them very easily. I was able to strip the sticky paint from the other pieces, though, and plan to spray paint all of the trim pieces in dark or gun metal gray using a plastic-safe spray paint.

Old 08-27-2023, 10:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobra7
Or, you could do what I did yesterday and just pry the outer vent trims out of the dash with a plastic trim removal tool. It was a bit sketchy, but it appears to have worked and I didn't have to do all of the disassembly described in the service manual. I don't see any broken clips, but we'll see how they go back in as it was a bit of a chore to pry them out, but out they came. I removed those along with my steering wheel and door release surround trim pieces as they were all gummed up and sticky, and looking rather ragged. I ended up ordering new door release surround trim pieces as some of the clips on them were broken and I wasn't able to strip the paint off of them very easily. I was able to strip the sticky paint from the other pieces, though, and plan to spray paint all of the trim pieces in dark or gun metal gray using a plastic-safe spray paint.
Just updating for anyone that is looking to refinish or replace their left and/or right AC vent trims. As I stated, I didn't follow the service manual instructions, and rather just pried out my AC vent trims using a plastic trim tool. I just reinstalled the trims and everything went perfectly, so no need to disassemble the end of the dash and the glove box to pull out the whole vent assembly. Just go slow and be careful and you can pry out the trims by themselves. The secret is to flex the trim a little by pushing down on the top of it do unhook the tabs at the top and then carefully pull up and out on the bottom of the trim to unhook the bottom. Once it's out, you can then separate the glossy black inner trim from the outer trim by unhooking the tabs that hold them together. You can then strip the sticky paint off of the outer trim and refinish in the color of your choice. I used Rust-oleum Universal Metallic Flat Soft Iron paint, which is an all-surface spray paint safe for plastic. It's a very close match to the original graphite finish that was on the trim pieces, but has a metallic finished, which give it a little more bling. My process was to strip the original paint off the trim pieces with isopropyl alcohol, then two coats of adhesion promoter (I used Upol Adhesion Promoter), and then two coats of the Rust-oleum.

I also plan to refinish the door control bezels the same way, but I'm waiting for new bezels to arrive as the tabs broke off of my original bezels when I remove them. I wasn't patient/careful enough on those and those tabs were fragile!

Here some pics post reinstallation. I also included a pic of my steering wheel as I also refinished the trim pieces on it and installed silver colored button caps as my steering wheel buttons were trashed from the car's former life in southwest Florida heat. I thought I'd try this cheap solution first before putting out the money for new button packs or sending them off to get refinished. So far, it doesn't look bad with the silver caps. We'll see if they last.

Hope this might help somebody. As I said, go slow and careful when prying out the vent trims. You don't want to break the tabs that hold them in place.

Steering wheel of 2015 F-Type R after refinished upper trim and lower spoke trim. Trim was refinished with Rust-oleum Metallic Flat Soft Iron spray paint.

Refinished AC vent trim. Trim was refinished with Rust-oleum Metallic Flat Soft Iron spray paint.

Refinished AC vent trim. Trim was refinished with Rust-oleum Metallic Flat Soft Iron spray paint.

The following 2 users liked this post by cobra7:
DJS (08-28-2023), Jsstadmire6317 (10-09-2023)