F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Additional/Extra Key Fob...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 10:44 AM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Additional/Extra Key Fob...

Does anyone know the approx cost to buy an extra key fob from the dealer?

Anyone has success in buy an extra key fob on Amazon or Ebay, then have dealer program it? Costs?

Thanks,

Old 05-16-2019, 10:52 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Are you wondering if things have changed since last year?
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...ra-key-178080/

Old 05-17-2019, 03:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got a new Fob a couple of weeks ago and had to get it from the dealership. Local dealership originally wanted to charge close to $1200 to get a new one (Fob, emergency door key and Programming). Asked if I were to purchase a ready to program Fob online can they program it. They told me they can try and I would have to pay $150 as that was the hourly service rate and there was no guarantee that they can program it. I purchased what was suppose to be "OEM Refurbished Fobs ready to program" online... I took these "refurbished OEM Fobs" into the dealership and the dealership said they attempted to program them and they were coming up as aftermarket Fobs and wouldn't take the programming... so I had no choose to pay the $150 + tax's and had to return the Fobs back to the place I got them at online. I then got a text from the service dept a few days later asking me if I was satisfied with my service... after telling them that I was not 100% satisfied (and I know that it wasn't fully the service dept's fault) but if they didn't want soooo much for a new Fob I would have just got everything from them and been done... they asked what I was quoted for a new Fob from their parts dept... when I told them they said they can get me the Fob only (no emergency door key) for $550 (Fob and programming)... so I took them up on the offer since I only got 1 Fob when I purchased the car (had the car shipped to me from out of state) and really wanted to have at least 2 Fobs. The emergency door key would be another $200ish if I wanted that as well. So had to pre-pay $427 to order the Fob and then the difference when it was programmed. When I got to the dealership they now said it would be another $700ish... I told them NO and good thing I had the full texts that I was exchanging back forth with them... So they honored the $550 for everything out the door. So I paid $160ish to try and get the online Fobs programmed... $427 for the new Fob itself and then $120ish. So for me it cost me over $700 just for the Fob with no emergency door key. Expensive lesson learned when purchasing a 1 owner off of lease and I assumed that there was 2 Fob's (should have asked but didn't) out of state car.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Which is why the first question I asked (well maybe second or third) the dealer selling the car I bought was "send me a photo of both of the keys"

The following users liked this post:
scm (05-17-2019)