F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I going to be disappointed?

Old 10-09-2018, 11:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I going to be disappointed?

Hello all,

I am currently at the end of my 2015 RC F lease, and really want to get an F-Type next. The problem is that, while I was set on getting an R, the leases are all $1100+ per month. I have the opportunity to lease a P380 for $750/month 15k miles per year.

Coming from a GT car with a 470HP V8, do you think I’m going to be disappointed in the F-Type V6? Granted the RC F is a porker at 4000 pounds, but it still felt smaller especially with the electronic differential. I got a ton of looks, waves, and compliments as I’m sure I would in the Jaguar, and I’m ok with giving up some performance. I just don’t want to feel like I’m driving a slug, and a short test drive isn’t much of an indicator.

Has as anyone else been in a similar situation?

Thanks

Old 10-10-2018, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Bilious
Hello all,

I am currently at the end of my 2015 RC F lease, and really want to get an F-Type next. The problem is that, while I was set on getting an R, the leases are all $1100+ per month. I have the opportunity to lease a P380 for $750/month 15k miles per year.

Coming from a GT car with a 470HP V8, do you think I’m going to be disappointed in the F-Type V6? Granted the RC F is a porker at 4000 pounds, but it still felt smaller especially with the electronic differential. I got a ton of looks, waves, and compliments as I’m sure I would in the Jaguar, and I’m ok with giving up some performance. I just don’t want to feel like I’m driving a slug, and a short test drive isn’t much of an indicator.

Thanks
You need to test drive the P380. I think you will be disappointed. Though, I did not graduate from any particularly high powered street cars, I found the V6S (same as the P380) at 380hp to be underwhelming. With a pulley and tune it is now at 450hp, which I find plenty exhilarating.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:00 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,382 Likes on 1,049 Posts

I don't think the P380 is underwhelming, but I would advise you not to test drive the V8!

Old 10-10-2018, 08:36 AM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Impossible to say if you would be disappointed, but regardless of the $$ they are very different mechanically and “philosophically.” There is no substitute for actual experience. Can you rent an F-T?

Old 10-10-2018, 09:10 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I’ll check on Turo and see if I can rent one for a couple of days. I like the idea of a tune, but I’m not familiar enough with their tuning companies. When I’ve had BMW or Mercedes, I could always get a Dinan tune which, while not as aggressive as some, had a warranty that covered any engine damage. Is there anything like that available for Jaguars?

Old 10-10-2018, 09:25 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Note that the F-type is also a bit of a porker - ~3800 lbs, depending on model.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Gearbox in RC F that I test drove was absolutely abysmal, so while car might have lots of power, it is mostly unrealized. F-type has an excellent gearbox, so even with less power it will feel quicker in most circumstances.

The way to get a deal is to find 2018 model and make an offer to the dealer to take it off the lot. All quotes you are going to get by walking into dealership going to be unrealistic wishful thinking on dealer's part.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

I came out of a 5 litre supercharged XKR into the 380hp V6 S. I have to say that the S felt restrained when I first drove it compared to the R, though a lot of that was in the gearing - you have to push the S harder and it doesnt lose control like the XKR did. The S actually suits my driving better, I can get much more out of it and on a track I am much better in an S than a F Type R (and monumentally better than I was in the XKR though that was a softer car overall). The main thing is that the S driven normally doesnt feel like a fast car until you punch it. I think if you are like me, the only things you would miss are quad pipes and the v8 sound. The v6 is very noisy and sounds great, but it isnt the same sound.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:43 PM

Gearbox in RC F that I test drove was absolutely abysmal, so while car might have lots of power, it is mostly unrealized. F-type has an excellent gearbox, so even with less power it will feel quicker in most circumstances.

The way to get a deal is to find 2018 model and make an offer to the dealer to take it off the lot. All quotes you are going to get by walking into dealership going to be unrealistic wishful thinking on dealer's part.
The RC F has an 8 speed torque converted transmission. It feels pretty sluggish down low. Once you start getting it up in the 6-7k RPM range, it bangs through the gears pretty great, and it's a lot of fun. Unfortunately, running at that RPM in normal driving isn't going to happen very much. I'm glad to hear that the transmission on the F Type is much better. I've been emailing dealerships around the country for an R. I know the money factor, residuals, incentives, etc. but nobody wants to move on them. I even hired a broker, and he hasn't had any luck. This time last year, there were people getting Rs in the $800/month range, but Jaguar didn't produce as many of them this year, so there seem to be fewer of them and fewer incentives.

I came out of a 5 litre supercharged XKR into the 380hp V6 S. I have to say that the S felt restrained when I first drove it compared to the R, though a lot of that was in the gearing - you have to push the S harder and it doesnt lose control like the XKR did. The S actually suits my driving better, I can get much more out of it and on a track I am much better in an S than a F Type R (and monumentally better than I was in the XKR though that was a softer car overall). The main thing is that the S driven normally doesnt feel like a fast car until you punch it. I think if you are like me, the only things you would miss are quad pipes and the v8 sound. The v6 is very noisy and sounds great, but it isnt the same sound.
I do love the sound of a V8, but the F Type probably has the best sounding V6 exhaust note I've ever heard. I know it's going to be an adjustment, but I think I'll enjoy it. I'm a fairly spirited driver in everyday driving, and I haven't tracked any of the cars I've owned. I know I'm not using them to their full potential, but my goal was something that looks gorgeous, sounds nice, and has more performance than most of the cars I'm going to see on a daily basis. I think the V6 model checks most of those boxes. The other reason I love the F Type is that, around here, everyone and their brother drives a BMW, Mercedes, Audi, or something similar. There are very few Jaguars, especially F Types. If I see one a month, it's a miracle.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Bilious
Hello all,

Thanks

For reference - 11 months ago my '17 R lease came in just under $800/month for 39 months & 10K miles/year & required $3K down to get the monthly that low but remember that this is for a v8 (550HP) that originally retailed for $112K so you CAN probably get a similar deal on one of the left-over '18 Rs and get pretty close to your price point!

I bought @ Crown & they have a number of new R's listed as available in a similar price range so you should be able to make this happen near your target
https://www.crownjaguar.com/new-inventory/index.htm?search=&saveFacetState=true&model=F-TYPE&lastFacetInteracted=inventory-listing1-facet-anchor-model-2
Ask for Bud Hawkins

Last edited by ndabunka; 10-11-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:43 PM
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I also had a 2015 rcf 2 cars prior to my f-type r. I’ve never actually driven or sat in a v6 f-type so I can’t speak on that. What I will say is that an rcf easily walks a stock 340hp or 380hp f-type. That’s from experience. But at the end of the day, it’s more about how u feel rather than winning meaningless races. Any f-type is 10x better looking than an rcf, imho. But if performance is a big factor, I think you’ll be disappointed going from an rcf to a v6 f-type (unless u plan to tune). If u have your mind set on an R, don’t settle for a v6. Lastly, the one thing I feel the rcf has over the f-type is steering. The rcf has more precise steering. My 2 cents.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:00 AM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree with scm - don't drive the R if you haven't decided to buy one. I wouldn't go back to my previous S.

The following users liked this post:
scm (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 03:51 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,382 Likes on 1,049 Posts

I was coming from a 2010 XKR, so anything less than a V8 would have left me dissatisfied, even though you can't really use all the performance - it was the principle of the thing for me!

Old 10-13-2018, 08:11 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I used to have a 335i N54 tuned with about 450 cvs and 700 NM. I thought about buying a P380 but I have your same doubt. listening to the R changed everything. After 2 months with the R I have no doubt that a P380 would have disappointed me (it runs just like my 335i with its 306 HP!). I know I would not go slower on the mountain with a V6 but I wanted the car to intimidate me when I started it, when accelerating straight and seeing behind its 4 leaks

The following users liked this post:
scm (10-13-2018)