F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New F-Type SVR OIL OVERFILLED!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 09:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Brand New F-Type SVR OIL OVERFILLED!

I recently took delivery of a 2020 F-Type SVR. It was a demo and was serviced before delivery(serviced at 3225 miles). Between delivery inspection and going for a couple drives the car has had 400 miles put on it since the service. Last night I went to check the oil as I’ve read about overfilling being an issue on AWD cars. I assumed they would have worked it out after so many years but decided to check anyway. I checked on a flat surface after a long drive. I took 3 measurements: 10 minutes after being stationary, 15 minutes after being stationary and about ~1.5 hours after being stationary. All readings read “overfilled”. Obviously I’m p-ssed that my first jag, and a $150,000 one at that, has been improperly serviced from day one of ownership. I drove 200 of those miles moderately spirited as the car has been broken in already. My question is, even if they siphon off the oil, how do I make sure nothing was damaged? Can I return the car? I don’t feel confident this engine will go the distance based on what I’ve experienced so far. Any advice would be helpful.

Last edited by MK45; 05-06-2020 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:57 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,399 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Did you take the readings on dead level ground? It doesn't take much of a downhill incline to yield an overfilled reading, IME.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:46 AM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Hi,
Firstly Congrats on your New SVR!!! Amazing car!!!
Many dealers are making the mistake of overfilling by 500ml the oil. It is due to the fact that many techs were used to the Rear wheel drive F-Type V8s that were taking 7 L of oil and now due to four wheel drive the oil pan has reduced capacity by 500ml. It will not damage the engine. If you do not have an oil/fluid pump at home that you can connect to the pipe inside the oil fill tube then the dealer can get the job done quickly.
Do not worry, this will happen often EVEN if you repeat to the service rep to be careful not to ''overfill''

Old 05-06-2020, 11:00 AM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Why can't the dealers get this right? It happened to me when I picked up the car too. Jaguar Assistance removed 220ml of oil. I phoned Jaguar Corporate and asked if this might damage the engine after a lot of spirited driving. They said "No." I asked for confirmation in writing and they provided it.
A great car and excellent driving experience - spoilt by the dealers.
Good luck; I'm sure you'll be ok.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:36 AM

Yes, it is as dead level as I can get, a flat bed is coming to take the car to the nearest jag dealer.

Old 05-06-2020, 12:08 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

When oil came out of quart cans it was easier to measure how much oil you (the tech) was pouring. You counted on your fingers. Now that the oil is dispensed by a machine it is very easy to select the wrong amount. My dealer has learned over time how to do it right.

Old 05-06-2020, 12:45 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This happened to my 2016 AWD R as well!

Old 05-06-2020, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Overfill by a little during mild driving is not a big deal. The issue is when crank hits oil and whips it - you end up losing lubrication that way. So if you were racing with overfill - ungood. If you were just driving around, you are fine.

Old 05-06-2020, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by supersportmtl
Hi,
Firstly Congrats on your New SVR!!! Amazing car!!!
Many dealers are making the mistake of overfilling by 500ml the oil. It is due to the fact that many techs were used to the Rear wheel drive F-Type V8s that were taking 7 L of oil and now due to four wheel drive the oil pan has reduced capacity by 500ml. It will not damage the engine. If you do not have an oil/fluid pump at home that you can connect to the pipe inside the oil fill tube then the dealer can get the job done quickly.
Do not worry, this will happen often EVEN if you repeat to the service rep to be careful not to ''overfill''
It's actually 750ml too much that they put in. The RWD cars would take 7.25l, not 7. AWD cars take 6.5L.

An easy way to tell how much oil they put in is to check the receipt. If they put in 7.25L, the receipt will show 8L as they round up to the nearest Liter. I have dealt with this three times. All three times, the tech put in 7.25 L instead of 6.5 (one argued with me that it was no big deal). This is, unfortunately, still an issue at many dealers and it appears Jaguar has not addressed wha tis now a 4+ year old problem.

The following users liked this post:
George05 (05-08-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 10:30 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Here's what the readings actually mean. You're car is somewhere in the upper 4% of capacity. I know that doesn't help much, but hopefully its not actually at 100%. Each tick mark is 2.5%.​​​​ so you need to be the equivalent of two tick marks high to hit 100%.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...0/#post2219922

Last edited by RacerX; 05-06-2020 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:08 AM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

To add to everyone's discomfort the electronic dipstick is not necessarily accurate. I saw that my Oil Level read Overfilled so I immediately went to the dealer. The shop foreman read the Oil Level through the OBD port and it showed 97% while the electronic dipstick showed Overfilled. Annoying, but I've come to accept this eccentricity. OP, not trying to be overly optimistic, but your Oil Level may be fine.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,138 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Just get an extraction pump, $100 or so on Fleabay, and extract a bit at a time while checking the level until it drops to the "max" mark.
A helluva lot cheaper and less hassle than getting the car flatbedded to the dealership, it doesn't matter that it's a new near car still under warranty.
One word of warning though - the pump will keep extracting long after you have stopped pumping so as soon as you have extracted say 500 ml disconnect the extraction tube, then if you need to pump some more out just connect it again. That said it's easy enough to pour back in any excess amount you pumped out.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:20 AM

RacerX, so when the Electronic Dipstick reads Full, it is actually 96% full? Which makes sense based on my post to this thread. Why is 100% Full suboptimal?

Last edited by HalcyonDays; 05-07-2020 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by HalcyonDays
RacerX, so when the Electronic Dipstick reads Full, it is actually 96% full? Which makes sense based on my post to this thread. Why is 100% Full suboptimal?
That calibration is car specific. Each car will read differently. If the oil is 3-4% over or underfilled, no biggie. If 12% over because some tech can’t read a tech sheet...biggie.

Old 05-07-2020, 04:32 AM
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

My car oil level reads ok on a level ground, however if the car is on a downward slope as little as 20mm then I get an overfill reading.

scm (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 05:52 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by HalcyonDays
If I had to guess - because there are too many, too complex, often overlapping systems and standards with a lack of cross-functional awareness due to management being mistaken for leadership.

Old 05-07-2020, 06:03 PM
Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Alasdair 63
My car oil level reads ok on a level ground, however if the car is on a downward slope as little as 20mm then I get an overfill reading.
Same - if mine is sloped downward (front end) my oil reads overfilled. On level ground my oil always reads okay.

Old 05-07-2020, 06:05 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

dealer overfilled my v6s awd last week, didnt notice until 200km later and it did not feel good . wondering what I should tell them since that was my last service with them before warranty expiring...

Old 05-07-2020, 09:23 PM

Hey all this is very informative. But my situation is hilarious. The dealership I sent it to took out 200ml and said it was good to go. I got home and checked it on level ground and boom, still overfilled after being sent to the dealer SPECIFICALLY to have the overfilled error rectified. The dealer has agreed to pay for a mityvac I’m purchasing so I can do it myself in the future, but I’m going to have a talk with the service manager, to possibly have the car flatbedded again on Monday as I specifically asked him to please make sure it’s not overfilled when I dropped off the car. All of this including the Mityvac has been free of charge to me so while I’m not happy, I’m not as angry as I was at the beginning of this. I’ll check the oil level from the OBD2 port later this weekend to see what it says, but the bar on the dash is still completely filled to the red. I’m concerned the sensor itself may be bad so I’ll have them take a look at it to check it when I send in the car on Monday. If the sensor is fine I’m not sure how they could possibly have messed this up. I’m fairly sure the garage I checked the oil in is flat as it’s an underground concrete garage and I measured the flatness using a level. Maybe this car just has infinite oil in it...

Debdije (08-11-2021)
Old 05-07-2020, 09:26 PM

I absolutely love my Jag and absolutely hate trying to determine what is going on with my oil level. Car shows "overfilled." Shop Foreman tells me it is 97% filled using more precise instrumentation, so not overfilled at all. RacerX points out that 96% filled is in fact fully filled. So accepting Shop Foreman's reading and RacerX's explanation then my car is 1% overfilled. Unhingd explains that this is all car specific and 3-4% variation is not significant. This is not helping my OCD..........

Last edited by HalcyonDays; 05-07-2020 at 09:31 PM.
mlrtime99 (05-17-2021)

Quick Reply: Brand New F-Type SVR OIL OVERFILLED!