Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wont turn OFF

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 02:33 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Car wont turn OFF

Ok, so here's one that I have YET to see discussed. Took the car out today, mid 40's and a little rain, to run to the store to grab some dog food and odd's and ends... That leg of the trip went fine, however, when I went to leave the store I got the warning of "2 wheel drive only traction reduced"... Well, that's odd, so I look around and also notice that A) the push button start is no longer lit up.. and B) none of the stalk functions work i.e. lights blinkers wipers etc, BUT the radio controls work...... I test everything else out, the car shifts into P/D/R just fine but the camera doesn't come up. Brakes work, trans shifts fine.. So I cautiously drive home... I pulled the fuses to the fuel pump, so at least it isn't idling out in the garage now, and its just a waiting game until the battery dies and I can see what the hell is up.
I'm thinking this MAY have something to do with the Ecu tune from Viezu perhaps, that was just put on it last week but I also believe that if that was the true culprit it wouldn't have waited a week to cause this issue.
Any ideas? is there a master power switch somewhere to cut power as well so I can possibly reboot the systems so I can get my dog food out of the hatch. LOL

Old 12-01-2018, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

That’s a catch 22. Car won’t let you open the hatch because it thinks your moving. But once you lose battery juice. The hatch lock won’t disengage. The only thing zi can suggest is to turn on all thee lights and accessories to totally kill the battery and then connect a 12v source to the posts under the bonnet to open the rear hatch.

If that works. You can then disconnect the battery, charge it, reconnect and see if that reboots whatever module went bonkers. Have you tried all the available hatch buttons to open it? (Dash button, key fob and external hatch button)

Old 12-01-2018, 03:37 PM
Banned

I sure did. and Thats exactly what I did. Let the radio thump to some trance techno with all the lights on inside and went inside to drink some coffee. put a jump battery on the terminals after it just died and got the stuff out of the trunk and everything rebooted. I took the battery completely out and have it on a charger now to let everything do a hard reset, because I know sometimes just a quick unlplug and replug doesn't work. I'll see what happens when I get it charged up. I guess its just the car's way of telling me, dont drive in when its cold and wet.. Will update when the battery is charged! Thanks Unhingd, having a second opinion that reinforces what I thought always helps!

Old 12-03-2018, 09:30 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

You didn't mention what year your car is. I have a MY14, and figure it's about time to change the battery.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJS
You didn't mention what year your car is. I have a MY14, and figure it's about time to change the battery.
Oops, its a '16 MY first in service in 8/15. I put the battery on a charger all weekend and as of yesterday afternoon everything was fine. I'm beginning to suspect the battery is not holding a charge and that may be the culprit as auto start/stop hasn't been working for the past month or so. Going to get a new battery this weekend and see how that helps.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:47 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

yep does sound like it could be a battery issue

Old 12-03-2018, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Poloskie
Oops, its a '16 MY first in service in 8/15. I put the battery on a charger all weekend and as of yesterday afternoon everything was fine. I'm beginning to suspect the battery is not holding a charge and that may be the culprit as auto start/stop hasn't been working for the past month or so. Going to get a new battery this weekend and see how that helps.
With a new battery, you may need to have the dealer synchronize the battery management module to the new battery to get the ECO stop/start to begin working again.