F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay, Android Auto, Mirrorlink, updating the F-Type entertainment

Old 05-08-2018, 08:10 PM
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
Sometime in the next month or so I should be making an install of an aftermarket Apple Carplay system to a 2013 XF, which has the same IAM2.1 system as the F-Type's up to 2015 (and some 2016 models, if you have the 770W).

It takes over the Nav menu on the screen, you lose the factory Nav completely, but you get CarPlay instead.

I'll update you when it's done.
will you be able to control the carplay through the touch screen? Support android?

Old 05-08-2018, 08:36 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Yes it's all controlled through the touchscreen. Since there is no swiping on the IAM2.1 touchscreen, you get buttons to scroll through.

CarPlay, Android Auto, Mirrorlink, updating the F-Type entertainment-lr_d4_pk_jpg.jpg

This is what it looks like on a Land Rover, but it's the same screen on an F-Type.

There are three versions; Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, or both together, and you use the touchscreen to control the various apps.

There is also a MirrorLink & AirPlay unit which puts the phone screen on the car touchscreen, but that does not include Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, and again you lose the factory navigation, it takes over the Nav menu.

The following users liked this post:
Mpowerr (09-15-2019)
Old 05-08-2018, 08:39 PM
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes it's all controlled through the touchscreen. Since there is no swiping on the IAM2.1 touchscreen, you get buttons to scroll through.

Attachment 214239

This is what it looks like on a Land Rover, but it's the same screen on an F-Type.

There are three versions; Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, or both together, and you use the touchscreen to control the various apps.

There is also a MirrorLink & AirPlay unit which puts the phone screen on the car touchscreen, but that does not include Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, and again you lose the factory navigation, it takes over the Nav menu.
I need this so bad.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:43 AM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

i also would be interested in apple car play.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:52 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

I am interested too - please keep us updated!

Old 05-09-2018, 12:24 PM
Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Same here. This is the most excited I have been in awhile!

Old 05-09-2018, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Which aftermarket unit - Pioneer ? I'd also love to return to Apple CarPlay but as a lot of the car settings are also through the screen, that's going to be science project for sure ;-)

Old 05-09-2018, 04:45 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Very interested in adding Apple CarPlay to the Jag. If someone develops a high quality, plug-and-play module that enables this I will buy it.

There is is one solution that does this already but the reviews for the company and product are pretty bad.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This would really be a game changer for the car as the infotainment system really is the main flaw in this car (and Jaguars in general).

I'd be really interested in this as well!

Old 05-10-2018, 10:55 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Sometime in the next month or so I should be making an install of an aftermarket Apple Carplay system to a 2013 XF, which has the same IAM2.1 system as the F-Type's up to 2015 (and some 2016 models, if you have the 770W).

It takes over the Nav menu on the screen, you lose the factory Nav completely, but you get CarPlay instead.

Cambo - does it remove just the nav screen (which is OK) or does it remove all current Infotainment functionality - eg car settings, audio settings etc?

Old 05-10-2018, 12:56 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Things just got interesting....I will be following this thread!

Old 05-11-2018, 07:36 AM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

I thought that I wanted CarPlay too but it seems to be as limited as InControl.
You can only use approved apps and third party mapping is not allowed. So the only advantage that I can see is Apple Maps. All I personally want is waze on InControl. If CarPlay will allow waze in future then I’d want it.
List of CarPlay apps.....
Third-party apps compatible with CarPlay:

WhatsApp
Spotify
Amazon Music
Google Play Music
iPlayer Radio
CBS Radio
Pandora
Slacker Radio
Tidal
Audible
NPR One
VOX
Clammr
Downcast

Default iPhone apps on CarPlay:

Phone
Music
Maps
Podcasts

Old 05-11-2018, 10:10 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by malbec
I thought that I wanted CarPlay too but it seems to be as limited as InControl.
You can only use approved apps and third party mapping is not allowed. So the only advantage that I can see is Apple Maps. All I personally want is waze on InControl. If CarPlay will allow waze in future then I’d want it.
List of CarPlay apps.....
Third-party apps compatible with CarPlay:

WhatsApp
Spotify
Amazon Music
Google Play Music
iPlayer Radio
CBS Radio
Pandora
Slacker Radio
Tidal
Audible
NPR One
VOX
Clammr
Downcast

Default iPhone apps on CarPlay:

Phone
Music
Maps
Podcasts
I played with CarPlay in our rental car in April out in Vegas and didn't understand why everyone loves it. I use Spotify for streaming mostly (sometimes do Podcasts, but that's mostly headphones when I'm doing stuff around the house), and I can stream that just through a BT connection anyway. If I'm connected through BT, I can make calls and all of that as well. I thought I just didn't know enough about it to get excited about it as an option. For my uses, what's in the car is fine for me. Maybe not super flashy and colorful since I have a '14, but neither the best nor worst out there. As long as I can listen to what I want to listen to and deal with the occasional phone call, I'm good.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:40 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

CarPlay Navigation is a quantum leap ahead of the in-dash Jag navigation... even using Apple Maps instead of Google Maps (which I think is superior). This is the primary motivator.

Cambo: I'm curious to know how the display between the gauges behaves when in the CarPlay interface, and how the audio switching is handled. For example, can you use CarPlay Navigation while using the FM Radio? What happens if you try to use a CarPlay audio source (e.g. Spotify app via CarPlay) while previously listening to SiriusXM or FM... does it switch over seamlessly? Would the Jag audio sources like FM mute for the CarPlay navigation voice announcements? And can you share what module you'll be trying out in the XF? Burning questions

Last edited by hades281; 05-12-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:13 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

following with interest!

Old 05-13-2018, 09:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default CarPlay

Checked some of the threads on this and understand CarPlay is coming some time this year.
What I couldn’t find is whether we will be able to simply update our existing F-Type to run it.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 563 Likes on 382 Posts

CarPlay has been rumored since 2016. There are even sites saying Jaguar is already a participating brand and/or screenshots dating back to last year that show a Smartphone Pack for Android Auto & CarPlay.

Believe it when you see it. Don't count on it being an available retrofit.

Last edited by uncheel; 05-14-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Anyone know if Mirrorlink works on our cars? (2016)

Old 05-14-2018, 08:54 PM

OK i'll try to answer some of your questions regarding this aftermarket CarPlay installation;

- The video part of CarPlay is via the Nav menu, so you press the Nav soft-button on the screen, or the Nav hard button on the side, and it takes you into the CarPlay screen instead of the factory navigation. An additional USB socket has to be installed in the car to connect the phone to (I would put it in the armrest, near the factory socket.)

- The audio part of CarPlay is via the AUX input, an output from the CarPlay module plugs into the 3.5mm AUX socket in the armrest. To get audio via CarPlay you need to select the AUX input of the vehicle sound system.

So you could have navigation via CarPlay on the screen, with a different audio source playing (say FM, or stored CD's), but in this case no spoken instructions from the Nav will be coming through the car's speakers, because the AUX audio input is not selected. If you were playing music via a CarPlay app, with Navigation up on the screen, then the AUX input is in use, and you would get the spoken Nav instructions through the speakers.

There are limited Apple approved apps available for CarPlay, however it is possible to use just about any app via Carplay, if the iPhone is Jailbroken. There are apps available for Jailbroken phones which will transfer non-approved apps to the CarPlay unit.

An example here;

So you could have Waze, Youtube or whatever via Carplay, even though they are not approved apps.

I have never Jailbroken a phone, so I'm far from an expert on how this works or affects the operation of the phone, do your own research and make your own decisions on that one!

At any time you can press the Home Menu button, or the Audio Video buttons on the sides of the screen, and it will jump out of the CarPlay screen, and take you back to the other functions in the factory system.

The only factory functionality which is lost is the navigation, everything else works and functions as before.

The hardware and installation costs of the CarPlay system is going to be considerably cheaper than a retrofit of InControl Apps in a car that has the IAM2.1 infotainment (all F-Types up to 2015MY, and those with the 770W systems up to 2017MY) and with a Jailbroken phone, you can put just about any app up on the screen. It also does not need any programming, just the physical install. The CarPlay unit is $1100 AUD (about $840 USD) and I'd allow 4-5hrs installation time on a convertible. The hardware for the factory InControl Apps costs much more (new) and the installation is much more complicated, with some custom wiring needed and programming with SDD, which only a few people can do, the dealers can't.

The only downsides from my point of view are;

#1 the loss of the factory navigation
#2 you have to select AUX as the audio input manually

It's not a seamless factory integration, but it's as close as you're gonna get, because there was never a factory CarPlay system on the IAM2.1 in Jags, Land Rovers or Volvos.

In saying that, there was a time that the Bosch MySPIN hardware (that's InControl Apps re-branded) was planned to have CarPlay compatibility, actually there are settings in the vehicle Car Configuration File for MySPIN, CarPlay or Android Auto, or a combination of the three, but it seems that the software was never added to the module from Bosch, we tried changing the settings but it didn't bring up any CarPlay or Android Auto options on the screen. They were planning ahead for it, but I guess it never happened for one reason or another.

Actually the Bosch MySPIN (inControl Apps) could have been a contender to have all the functionality of Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. If you have a look at the Bosch site mySPIN Apps - Bosch SoftTec they list out all the currently available apps for MySPIN, then compare it to the currently available apps for InControl Apps from JLR and you can see JLR has not added all of the available MySPIN apps to their InControl branded version.

And you can also see there's lots of big name apps still missing from the MySPIN list. You can imagine that Google didn't want to license some of their products to Bosch, and the same for Apple. From their point of view MySPIN is a competitor to CarPlay or Android Auto, they will (probably?)make more money by having CarPlay licensed, than just individual apps to Bosch.

This is probably the same reason behind Google-owned apps not being officially available on Apple CarPlay, e.g. Youtube, Google Maps, etc... at the end of the day they are competitors and their #1 priority is to their shareholders, not their customers.

schuss (06-29-2021)
Old 05-14-2018, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Anyone know if Mirrorlink works on our cars? (2016)
There is an aftermarket Mirrorlink unit which is available, but don't ask me how good it is or how it works exactly, as far as I can tell it puts your phone's screen on the touchscreen, but since there is no swiping on the IAM2.1 touchscreen, it doesn't work exactly the same as the phone screen.

jaguny (05-15-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CarPlay, Android Auto, Mirrorlink, updating the F-Type entertainment