F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay, Android Auto, Mirrorlink, updating the F-Type entertainment

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 09:07 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by Fleer
Checked some of the threads on this and understand CarPlay is coming some time this year.
What I couldn’t find is whether we will be able to simply update our existing F-Type to run it.
I'm going to say there is next to zero chance of a software update adding CarPlay to an existing vehicle.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:42 PM

Well this is interesting! Add Android Auto, Apple CarPlay to Land Rover SUV | Land Rover Freeport

Land Rover dealer, offering Android Auto and Apple CarPlay retrofits, to Land Rovers. Well I never...

If it works in a Land Rover, it works in a Jaguar.

The following users liked this post:
Misujerr (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 02:12 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Yeah Cambo! Have you "Contacted (their) team for further details?"

Old 05-15-2018, 02:31 AM

Pretty much ten thousand miles between me and them so I don't know how that will work, but someone a bit more local could find it useful...

Old 05-15-2018, 04:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

This dealer is in New York State. I have sent them a message requesting if they can do this to a Jaguar (they have a Jaguar dealership).

Old 05-15-2018, 09:13 AM
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
Pretty much ten thousand miles between me and them so I don't know how that will work, but someone a bit more local could find it useful...
I dont know what happened to this message, but you said:

" The hardware and installation costs of the CarPlay system is going to be considerably cheaper than a retrofit of InControl Apps in a car that has the IAM2.1 infotainment (all F-Types up to 2015MY, and those with the 770W systems up to 2017MY) and with a Jailbroken phone, you can put just about any app up on the screen. It also does not need any programming, just the physical install. The CarPlay unit is $1100 AUD (about $840 USD) and I'd allow 4-5hrs installation time on a convertible. The hardware for the factory InControl Apps costs much more (new) and the installation is much more complicated, with some custom wiring needed and programming with SDD, which only a few people can do, the dealers can't. "

Where would one get the unit you mentioned?

Old 05-15-2018, 12:34 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Ha, right... Thanks so very much for all of your work on all the projects over the years!
jaguny thanks for contacting them!

Old 05-15-2018, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

Well, my message to the Landrover dealer asking if their Jag side can covert a Jag to CarPlay, Android auto, etc. was replied to with just the word "No". I don't like just "no" for an answer. I will try calling the service department to see what gives. I also own a Landrover so I'll find out what gives there on cost, etc. If Cambo was stateside he could reverse engineer it for us from a Rover.

Last edited by jaguny; 05-16-2018 at 03:51 AM.
apr1962 (12-29-2020)
Old 05-15-2018, 11:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, So I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but this what i did to get mirrorlink.

used my reverse cam video connection and add a the mirror link as a source, with a video switch... my audio play via aux 3.5mm jack

basically switch on my reverse camera via my menu and then select aux.... my phones linked via wifi, using mirror link, i have access to everything on my mobile.... i play movies/videos for kid ... on hes way to school .....

JgaXkr (05-16-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 11:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, if that's what you looking for send me a pvt msg.... if you wait for jag to offer this... good luck

Old 05-16-2018, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ricardo_yen
Ok, So I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but this what i did to get mirrorlink.

used my reverse cam video connection and add a the mirror link as a source, with a video switch... my audio play via aux 3.5mm jack

basically switch on my reverse camera via my menu and then select aux.... my phones linked via wifi, using mirror link, i have access to everything on my mobile.... i play movies/videos for kid ... on hes way to school .....
Which phone do you have? Did you down load the car-mode app from the Galaxy store to your phone. My Note8 references the app but it is not shown in the apps icon listing?

Old 05-16-2018, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Well, my message to the Landrover dealer asking if their Jag side can covert a Jag to CarPlay, Android auto, etc. was replied to with just the word "No". I don't like just "no" for an answer. I will try calling the service department to see what gives. I also own a Landrover so I'll find out what gives there on cost, etc. If Cambo was stateside he could reverse engineer it for us from a Rover.
Wow, that's really **** poor.

The infotainment in the Land Rovers is the same as the Jags, if they have a solution for Land Rover, they have one for Jaguar too.

Did they really just write back "no" and nothing else? That's no way to do business.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Wow, that's really **** poor.

The infotainment in the Land Rovers is the same as the Jags, if they have a solution for Land Rover, they have one for Jaguar too.

Did they really just write back "no" and nothing else? That's no way to do business.
If this is what went down, **** Poor is the understatement of the decade. Totally agree!

Old 05-16-2018, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, just "no". I always prefer to speak to people but I sent the message on a Sunday to get the ball rolling, or so I thought. I didn't have an opportunity today, but I will get a call into them and report back. I will ask about the LR4 first, not mention the previous communication, and go from there.

Last edited by jaguny; 05-16-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:25 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Yes, just "no". I always prefer to speak to people but I sent the message on a Sunday to get the ball rolling, or so I thought. I didn't have an opportunity today, but I will get a call into them and report back. I will ask about the LR4 first, not mention the previous communication, and go from there.
And that kind of thing is why I prefer to do things in writing (email, text or whatever) because then I have proof if they try to later backtrack and say that's not what they said or how they meant it and I must have misunderstood what they said. Plus it USUALLY makes them a bit more helpful because they know it's in writing. That response though, I got nothing.Once you get your answer, you might want to mention the previous communication though.

jaguny (05-17-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

Well this went from no to nothing as in no one answering the phone other than an answering machine. I left a voice message this time. So, I called my dealer who is very responsive and they were not aware of anything from JLR on this although he said JLR is working on it. So he tried calling and couldnt get anyone to answer in any department (sales, service, parts). He called me back and he explained at length challenges smaller manufacturers have working out licensing deals due to ongoing subscription costs, but was hopeful JLR was getting closer. If the advertising dealer had an aftermarket solution, he wasn't aware of what it maybe but didn't rule it out. Of course it wouldn't be covered if issues arise.He was going to continue pursuing with other dealer, and would call me back if he received any further info. I reaffirmed my dealers service department is very responsive.

Last edited by jaguny; 05-18-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Misujerr (05-18-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 09:08 AM
Received 118 Likes on 29 Posts

Any update?

Old 06-06-2018, 02:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default InControl update

Guys, I have F-Type MY2017 purchased in Germany. Recently, I had a brief discussion with the German dealer about the car. I was complaining about the InControl system (bugs, limited functionality, etc.). He told me that Jaguar planned to release an update for the InControl system (incl. CarPlay support - allegedly) this summer which would be possible to install on MY2017 version.

I have a scheduled service check this summer, thus, I will share an update later on.

mlebofsky (10-07-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by frostysauce
Any update?
The dealer that was advertising the carplay never called me back after leaving detailed messages and never called my dealer back after they attempted to call. A live person didn't even answer the phone. I am not sure how they even do business. I would be skeptical that this dealer could do anything for anyone.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:14 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Well this is interesting! Add Android Auto, Apple CarPlay to Land Rover SUV Land Rover Freeport

Land Rover dealer, offering Android Auto and Apple CarPlay retrofits, to Land Rovers. Well I never...

If it works in a Land Rover, it works in a Jaguar.
That link now turns up a Page Not Found Error. Guess it's a no go.

Quick Reply: CarPlay, Android Auto, Mirrorlink, updating the F-Type entertainment