F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ceramic brake retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 06:09 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

The brake master cylinder is the same, the ABS modulator is the same, there might be a different calibration file for it (I'd have to check this) but that's really a minor detail.

There are so many little bits and pieces that are different with the Carbon brake kits, it's not just a case of bolting the rotors and calipers on. Hoses are different, pad wear sensors are different, the dust shields are different, the handbrake assembly is different.

£6000 seems way too cheap for a set of calipers, pads and rotors, unless you have one hell of a trade discount... but even then there's more to making this conversion than just the big bits....

And will your wheels fit over the brakes? The 400mm six-piston Alcons were not compatible with all 20" wheel options on the XKR, it may well be the same with the F-Type too...

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (10-21-2016)
Old 12-15-2015, 01:59 PM
Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

^ it is

you need the storm wheels

Old 01-15-2017, 02:40 PM
Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts
Default carbon ceramic conversion

Being interested in the pursuit of doing silly things to my cars that make no good sense, I have started to take on the acknowledged waste of money project to attempt to put ccm brakes on F-type V6-s manual 6speed. As I am already many thousands into the project, please refrain from reminding me how stupid I am for trying this venture.

For those that enjoy the tribulations of others, I am reporting in to publicly document my effort.

For the dollars$? I bought a take of kit off ebay out of UK for $4400.00 u.s. INCLUDING SHIPPING!

This brings me calipers, pads and rotors. As advertised the rotors are take offs, but the calipers appear to be spanking new.

Next up was a list of ccm parts only deciphered from jag parts catalog. Lots of silly stuff like brake lines, relocation wire brackets, speed sensor wires and pad sensors. Another grand here(my dealer really helps me with discounts.)

Following the little bits came the storm wheels. I bought a set off ebay from reman company. Nice guys but pretty sloppy work so the wheels were returned for a refund. FYI, 1300.00 for those wheels in black. After checking jag parts catalog, found out list for 20" grey painted storms were $540.00 each. If I wanted to go to the black ones, the price goes up to about 1000.00 per wheel. So once again with help of dealer, out the door for 450.00 per wheel, new in box.

Because this is not my first rodeo of bleeding money on projects that will never give me a return, I expected issues, and yesterday, I got my first one. I decided to tackle rear brakes first. Fired up the heat in the garage on a cold winter day. Got the car up on jack stand's and off came the rears. Pull the caliper and rotor of right wheel and hit a wall. The calipers I got will in no way mount to the exisiting hub. The brembo ccm's received do not have bracket that will locate the calipers in standard caliper bolt pattern.

I am stuck right now looking to see if the rear knuckles for the ccm cars are unique(cannot imagine) or isthere is a mounting bracket needed. It is Sunday so I am limited in research assistance. I will figure out what is required, but I hope my little story is entertaining to those folks sitting around on a cold winter day wondering what other idiots are doing for entertainment. If I had the picture I need, it would be wheel off picture of an f-type with a rear ccm caliper mounted to car such that might see what my next step will involve.

Until next time, remember it is not nice to make fun of those mentally disturbed!

The following 2 users liked this post by Stwsam:
DirtyAir (01-16-2017), Panthro (01-17-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 03:43 PM

Great project!!!

I've had a look through the parts catalogue and I understand the problem here...

The rear "hub carriers" are the same for all models, according to the parts catalogue, but when you look closely at the drawing for the rear Carbon Ceramics you can see some sort of mounting bracket for the main caliper and the park brake caliper.

ceramic brake retrofit-cj13002.jpg

You see it's kind of shaded out... It's not listed anywhere that I can find... but that's the part you need...

That bracket would also be required for the XKR-S GT, but it's also not listed under that model either.

The other Jags that use a separate park brake caliper, like the Alcon-equipped XKR, and the older Brembo-equipped XJR, STR, etc have a different arrangement than what's shown for the F-Type...

Damn...

If you can get access to an F-Type with the CCB's and see if there are any numbers cast into that bracket, I might be able to figure it out from there...

Panthro (01-17-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 03:47 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Two things, first I think the rear knuckle may be different because of the secondary e-brake caliper. Second be very careful with purchasing take off or used carbon ceramic discs, they do not like impact, so if someone was clumsy taking off a wheel and hits it, it will chip and then you're ****ed. Also carbon discs don't wear like steel discs meaning you can not reliably check thickness to see whether they are in tollorance, instead carbon discs have a minimum weight asssociated with them. If they are heated beyond a certain threshold some of the resin and I wanna say the carbon vaporize and the disc becomes lighter.
I would say the only part of the kit you probably shouldn't buy used purely for safety reasons if you drive the car fast is the discs, as they are the most critical part.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:52 PM

I never CCBs and don't recall a part number on that. But I'll double check the next time I have it on a lift, not exactly sure when...

Old 01-15-2017, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Stwsam
Being interested in the pursuit of doing silly things to my cars that make no good sense, I have started to take on the acknowledged waste of money project to attempt to put ccm brakes on F-type V6-s manual 6speed. As I am already many thousands into the project, please refrain from reminding me how stupid I am for trying this venture.
No recriminations will emanate from this source given my willingness to toss good money at pursuing all kinds of marginally beneficial upgrades. In fact, ceramic brakes on my V6S were high on the list for execution. If they had been available as an option with the MT, I would have certainly "wasted" my money on them. After understanding why they are not offered with the manual transmission, I am less anxious to pursue that project. Ceramic brakes are perfectly capable of stopping an engine dead in its tracks. With the automatic transmission, there's enough slush in the system t absorb the shock without incurring much in the way of damage. With the MT, suddenly halting rotation of the engine with a solid connection between the rear hub and the crankshaft can cause serious damage. By law, aircraft engines require a full rebuild with component testing if the engine is suddenly stopped (prop hits something, for example). Not suggesting not to go forward, but just remember to hit the clutch pedal before you hit the brakes in a panic situation.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mpowerr
....I think the rear knuckle may be different because of the secondary e-brake caliper....
According to the parts catalogue, the knuckle is the same, but there appears to be an additional bracket which mounts onto the knuckle, and the main caliper & park brake caliper mount onto that bracket. You can see in that drawing I posted just before.

Anyone got a car with CCB's, able to get some photo's or check for numbers on that bracket?

Old 01-15-2017, 04:04 PM

Wow, thanks for the encouragement. Cambo, nice work. I have looked at the schematics until I was blue in the face and missed the shaded area. Too close to the project i guess. My thought was to get a car with ccm vin and see if dealer can find necessary part. bottom line, back to the piggy bank.

Keep me apprised if anyone comes up with part numbers! thanks again!

Old 01-15-2017, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
According to the parts catalogue, the knuckle is the same, but there appears to be an additional bracket which mounts onto the knuckle, and the main caliper & park brake caliper mount onto that bracket. You can see in that drawing I posted just before.

Anyone got a car with CCB's, able to get some photo's or check for numbers on that bracket?
Yea saw your post after I said that. I have CCB and will try to check for a p/n the next time it's on the lift.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:12 PM

I found the mounting brackets for the XKR-S GT, but I'm not sure they are the same as for the F-Type, the part numbers are XK part numbers not F-Type, and they look different to the ones in the F-Type drawing...

EDIT

And the brackets for the XKR-S GT are $2900 each!!!!! ffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuu......

Old 01-15-2017, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Could it be part #8 on this page?
REAR BRAKES for 2016 Jaguar F-Type
Scroll down past all the W/O CC brake parts until you get to the with CC brake parts.
Part # T2R12324, a whopping $15.39 each!

Last edited by OzXFR; 01-15-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:09 PM

No, that's not it.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Could it be part #8 on this page?
REAR BRAKES for 2016 Jaguar F-Type
Scroll down past all the W/O CC brake parts until you get to the with CC brake parts.
Part # T2R12324, a whopping $15.39 each!
nope. Have those. They are to relocate a wheel sensor or something simple

Old 01-16-2017, 06:27 PM

Todays update. Supplier in UK selling me two brackets for which no part number is known as Cambo's post will concur. Also sending me two parking brake calipers. System requires a separate pb caliper per wheel. Definitely planning to keep all my old parts. When I do part with this car, unlikely ccm'/s will go with it. Plan to remove and mount these brakes above the fireplace as they are more work than big game hunting.

Panthro (01-17-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 06:50 PM

You simply must post some photos of these brackets when you get them. There will be a part number, it's just not in the catalogue.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:54 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

i had no idea the ceramics warranted so many changes on the production line - goes some way to explaining the cost vs other brands - i regret not optioning the ceramics on my m3 given how easy the maintenance is on the jag, and bmw sell a retro kit which includes rotors, pads, calipers and brake booster which is less than half what i paid for the option on the jag

Old 01-16-2017, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
You simply must post some photos of these brackets when you get them. There will be a part number, it's just not in the catalogue.

Absolutely will do

Old 01-28-2017, 08:33 PM

Just a brief update for anyone interested on my adventure in converting to CCM brakes. Front brakes are installed. Will post somes pics of the process when I refresh my brain on forum image posting. Fronts pretty straight forward. You have to remove a tiny dust shield by drilling out two rivets per side. Then rivet on new, larger dust shield. When I post the pics, it will be come clear that these supposed original dust shields are not much at all. The new dust shields are more in line with what one would expect to see on a modern car.

The F-type , at least the S, has a brake cooling duct, so called, on the lower wishbone arm. The CCB's call for an additional one. Figured out it bolts on to the sway bar with two "u"? brackets. I did not realize each side required two brackets and only bought two. When I looked back on my dealer invoice and realized I paid 45.50 per bracket, I realized I might likely fabricate the other two I needed. Sure enough, $1.18 each at Home Depot. Will post pics of those parts as well.

Still awaiting the two magic rear adapter brackets which have no apparent part number. They are coming from my UK source along with two rear e-brake calipers. So, the rear brakes are still an unknown. I am hoping I am running out of surprises and I will soon be able to take the car back off the jack stands. Yes, doing this old school. Till next time!

Old 01-29-2017, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Epic effort.

Puts my hankering for a mechanical LSD in the shade at about £1,500 in parts.

There is a breaker selling the switchable exhaust for the V6 for under £200 on eBay too...

Quick Reply: ceramic brake retrofit