Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather door lock issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold weather door lock issue

Hello All,

I have a 2018 F type that I recently purchased about a month ago. I had an issue week ago where the driver side door wouldn't close unless someone pushed it from the outside and once that happened the door wouldn't open. I was locked inside! Drove to the dealer and they popped it open and said they changed the latch and gave me back the car. Yesterday morning, I opened the door and it wont close again. It was quite cold the evening before. I didn't force it closed until I got out and although you can hear the mechanism doing something when trying to lock or unlock it wont "pop". So the sun was shining directly on the car and as the temperature warmed up a few degrees, the door opened and closed without issue. I have seen this issue on another forum but no resolutions. The dealer cant replicate it of course now that it is a few degrees warmer these past few days and I have no idea what to do. They have the car and are trying to replicate the issue but cant so far.

Soooo, being they cant replicate the issue they said they updated software for both doors and changed a module in the "hopes" this does the trick. Its been above freezing for the past week since I picked it back up and been working perfectly but lo and behold, this morning it was 27 degrees out so I was ready to get locked out/in. Hit the alarm button, door handle pops open, I open door and with cold fingers crossed I try to close the door.

It popped back at me, so I sat inside, called my wife and asked her to come put some pressure on the door to get it to close and essentially lock me in. Drove down to the dealer which is near my office, about a 40 minute drive and as Im driving Im watching the temp slowly creep up....27,28,29....I called them and told them tom have someone ready to get me out of the damn car! When I was one block away and the temp was now 31 I tried the door and wouldnt open. I took a video as proof with my phone. 30 seconds later I pull into the service center and of course the temp is now reading 32 and the door opened without issue!!!

They are clueless, couldnt decide what to do, leave the car there or not...in the end I left it and they gave me a Land Rover Velar to use in the meantime. Temps are not looking to be sub freezing for the next week or so which means my car will be sitting there doing nothing. So now I have their Velar, they have my F type and the winter snow is coming. I told them Ill be back in March to swap back and looking forward to using their brand new car in the snow for the next few months. To top it all off when I said that this was the third time Im back for same issue the response was I hope you arent thinking of the lemon law to try and return the car as thats a loooong process. Sheeesh.

I opened an incident with Jaguar N.A. and they assigned a rep to me 5 days ago that never responds, left me a VM once when I was in a meeting and said "I want to move this case along asap" . Not sure wheres planning on moving it to LOL but zero help.

I spoke with a few local mechanics and they have no clue but said "bring it in and we'll have a look", I decided that may cause more headaches with warranty and all so better to not have them play inside the door.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.....oh yes, I did the WD 40 spraying and doesnt help. - thanks!!

Old 12-20-2018, 10:13 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

I used to get this with my previous XKRs. I found that if you slam the door a few times it will eventually shut. I also had problems opening the door in freezing conditions, so you're lucky if you only have the closing issue!

I haven't had to open the F-Type in freezing conditions yet, so can't comment on that, but I bet they use the same door components, so ....

Old 12-20-2018, 10:23 AM

Thanks! So I can actually get it to close at that point by applying pressure on the door from the outside but at that point, the door will not open unless it warms up. And the warm up has to be outside temp, warming up the interior does not do the trick

Old 12-20-2018, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by alcoh99
Hello All,

I have a 2018 F type that I recently purchased about a month ago. I had an issue week ago where the driver side door wouldn't close unless someone pushed it from the outside and once that happened the door wouldn't open. I was locked inside! Drove to the dealer and they popped it open and said they changed the latch and gave me back the car. Yesterday morning, I opened the door and it wont close again. It was quite cold the evening before. I didn't force it closed until I got out and although you can hear the mechanism doing something when trying to lock or unlock it wont "pop". So the sun was shining directly on the car and as the temperature warmed up a few degrees, the door opened and closed without issue. I have seen this issue on another forum but no resolutions. The dealer cant replicate it of course now that it is a few degrees warmer these past few days and I have no idea what to do. They have the car and are trying to replicate the issue but cant so far.

Soooo, being they cant replicate the issue they said they updated software for both doors and changed a module in the "hopes" this does the trick. Its been above freezing for the past week since I picked it back up and been working perfectly but lo and behold, this morning it was 27 degrees out so I was ready to get locked out/in. Hit the alarm button, door handle pops open, I open door and with cold fingers crossed I try to close the door.

It popped back at me, so I sat inside, called my wife and asked her to come put some pressure on the door to get it to close and essentially lock me in. Drove down to the dealer which is near my office, about a 40 minute drive and as Im driving Im watching the temp slowly creep up....27,28,29....I called them and told them tom have someone ready to get me out of the damn car! When I was one block away and the temp was now 31 I tried the door and wouldnt open. I took a video as proof with my phone. 30 seconds later I pull into the service center and of course the temp is now reading 32 and the door opened without issue!!!

They are clueless, couldnt decide what to do, leave the car there or not...in the end I left it and they gave me a Land Rover Velar to use in the meantime. Temps are not looking to be sub freezing for the next week or so which means my car will be sitting there doing nothing. So now I have their Velar, they have my F type and the winter snow is coming. I told them Ill be back in March to swap back and looking forward to using their brand new car in the snow for the next few months. To top it all off when I said that this was the third time Im back for same issue the response was I hope you arent thinking of the lemon law to try and return the car as thats a loooong process. Sheeesh.

I opened an incident with Jaguar N.A. and they assigned a rep to me 5 days ago that never responds, left me a VM once when I was in a meeting and said "I want to move this case along asap" . Not sure wheres planning on moving it to LOL but zero help.

I spoke with a few local mechanics and they have no clue but said "bring it in and we'll have a look", I decided that may cause more headaches with warranty and all so better to not have them play inside the door.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.....oh yes, I did the WD 40 spraying and doesnt help. - thanks!!
Pull the door panel, hit all the mechanical mechanisms with a hair dryer and then apply WD-40. The only material on a car that miraculously changes characteristics at exactly 32 degreesF is water (moisture). Sometimes, the low tech solution works a lot better than a bunch of computers plugged into the ODB port.

EDIT: And, also look for where the water might be getting into the door.

Last edited by Unhingd; 12-20-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:18 PM

Much appreciated, Im going to give it a shot when they give it back to me if they dont figure out something out on their own.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,131 Likes on 1,305 Posts

But WD40 is not a residual lubricant - and lubrication is undoubtedly what is needed on the latch. There are far better products for lubricating purposes...it might not even be necessary to remove the door panel. On other cars with similar problems I have used lubricant (Rust Check) sprayed into the latch itself...worked beautifully thereafter.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sov211
But WD40 is not a residual lubricant ..
True, but the WD-40 will help to dissipate the moisture. I don't believe that lack of lubrication is the issue.

Last edited by Unhingd; 12-21-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:43 AM
Lightbulb Jaguar techs finally acknowledged!

Soooo, thank you for your responses. Hers a quick update. After some back and forth debates with Jaguar techs on how I shouldn't be listening to forums even though they are clueless to the issue, I had a nice debate with them last night and filed a complaint with Jaguar N.A. regarding the car being less than 60 days old blah blah blah

Just got this email a few minutes ago.....

"Good Morning Alan,

Discussion with Jaguar Technical suggests the problem may be what you found on the forum; there may be a missing water shedder allowing leak & subsequent freezing of the latch. I’ll let you know."

Progress!!

Old 12-21-2018, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 499 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
True, but the WD-40 will help to dissipate the moisture. I don't believe that lack of lubrication is not the issue.
*** TSK*** The LANGUAGE POLICEMAN says: If you DON'T believe it is NOT the issue, then it IS? LOL

The letters in WD-40 stand for Water Displacement, don't they?

WD-40® literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th formula. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed the product back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion—a task which is done by displacing water.
But let's not pick nits..as long as you have the door panel off, a few drops of a light oil will fend off future effects of frozen H2O.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:52 AM

Jaguar finally listened after debating with me and not wanting to listen to anything on the forum.

"Good Morning Alan,
Discussion with Jaguar Technical suggests the problem may be what you found on the forum; there may be a missing water shedder allowing leak & subsequent freezing of the latch. I’ll let you know.
Doug"

Progress!

Old 12-21-2018, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
*** TSK*** The LANGUAGE POLICEMAN says: If you DON'T believe it is NOT the issue, then it IS? LOL
Doh! Double negative not intended. Have corrected. Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (12-21-2018)
Old 01-02-2021, 06:04 PM
Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Soo.... had this issue today. It's been very cold, and I had driven the car a few days ago. Went out today to get something out of the car, unlock it, and then when I tried closing the door, it wouldn't latch. I kept trying to close the door and even used the FOB to lock and unlock the car while the door was open. That didn't work out well. Eventually, the door finally latched but then I couldn't open the driver's side door. By this point, the windows were all the way down and I left the car alone for a few hours. Just went out to test it and was able to get the door open after unlocking it.

I wonder if it's the same issue with the subfreezing temps and what not. In any case, I think I may have to contact my dealership about this. I still have a warranty on this car.