F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe fuel fill and Meridian 380W observations...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts
Red face Coupe fuel fill and Meridian 380W observations...

OK...I was having the hardest time refueling my Coupe with the pump clicking off after about 5 gallons and then it was a big hassle getting it topped off.

It was suggested here that I try tilting the handle to one side and not putting the handle all the way in...neither really worked any better for me.

It was also suggested to try another gas station and what do you know...went from my local Shell station to Chevron and whamo...no more issues...so if anyone is having a similar issue,try another station.

Also,the buzzing coming from the subwoofers mounted behind the seats on the base Meridian 380W system is usually so bad,I generally don't listen to it much which to me is a real shame in a luxury car.
Well I've noticed that after a short time of listening to it,the buzzing actually seems to go away...or is greatly diminished...especially if I shut the car off and then restart. It is not nearly as bad as when you first start the car or turn on the stereo...is this just me or is anyone else experiencing this?

Old 12-30-2014, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

I have no such issues with either the fuel fill or what you describe on the base Meridian in my convertible. My state also requires the vapor-recovery pump nozzles, which has sometimes been the culprit in premature fuel cut-off on other cars I've owned, but not this one.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Also,the buzzing coming from the subwoofers mounted behind the seats on the base Meridian 380W system is usually so bad,I generally don't listen to it much which to me is a real shame in a luxury car.
Well I've noticed that after a short time of listening to it,the buzzing actually seems to go away...or is greatly diminished...especially if I shut the car off and then restart. It is not nearly as bad as when you first start the car or turn on the stereo...is this just me or is anyone else experiencing this?
This sounds like a high resistance short across the wire pair to the woofer. Could be a bad harness or a connection got wet. A good audio technician should be able to sort that out.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

The F-Type is definitely finicky about the gas nozzle it likes. I basically learned which gas stations in the area have the proper nozzle.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

This suggestion worked for me and I've rarely had issues since:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-72/official-sticky-thread-known-issues-105493/page4/#post1106895

Old 12-30-2014, 09:33 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

After reading all the complaints about the Meridian sound system during the 4 months I Waited for the car I have been very pleasantly surprised that I have no issues. Took delivery 2 weeks ago and the system sounds great with no rattles, buzzes, etc. Could it be they fixed the previous issues by the time I took delivery?

I have noticed a problem with the pump cutting off on the gas pumps that have the vapor barrier on the nozzle. However, on some pumps the vapor barrier is missing and I use those with no problem. Seems like the vapor barrier prevents a good fit.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:05 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

OK...I was having the hardest time refueling my Coupe with the pump clicking off after about 5 gallons and then it was a big hassle getting it topped off.

It was suggested here that I try tilting the handle to one side and not putting the handle all the way in...neither really worked any better for me.

It was also suggested to try another gas station and what do you know...went from my local Shell station to Chevron and whamo...no more issues...so if anyone is having a similar issue,try another station.

Try turning the sub woofer setting down.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

I wonder if there's something different about the fuel fill to tank assembly in the coupe v. convertible? I've never heard a convertible owner report this. I've filled mine in more than a dozen different stations w/ not a single shut-off.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Maybe a California thing? We have some ridiculous "environmental" regs so maybe our nozzles are different.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shift
Maybe a California thing? We have some ridiculous "environmental" regs so maybe our nozzles are different.
No, it's not that. I lived in the Bay Area (Palo Alto) and still visit there pretty often, as well as LA where my daughter lives. We have the exact same vapor-recovery nozzles in the DC area.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:36 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Interesting, most of us normally have the buzzing sound coming from the left-hand door. This is extremely common and you'll find a long thread on the issue.

Fingers crossed that you get this fixed.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:35 PM
Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Foosh
I wonder if there's something different about the fuel fill to tank assembly in the coupe v. convertible? I've never heard a convertible owner report this. I've filled mine in more than a dozen different stations w/ not a single shut-off.
I have had this fueling problem a number of times in my Convertible V8S. I ussually get frustrated and just leave hoping that I get enough gas in it for the rest of my trip.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

filling the tank is the same problem on coupes and convertible. has to do with the bend in the filler pipe. i use chevron gas and its pumps are no better than shells. just one of the problems we have to live with.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:45 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

I have to say that refueling has been the biggest frustrations with my car. I have always gone to a local Costco for gas because it is the most convenient for me. Every time I take my F-Type there is it a major challenge to get a full tank of gas. The pumps run so fast that the nozzle clicks off every second making for a long fueling time. I’ve tried different pumps there and had better success with some over others but still had trouble. I happened to fill up at a new Chevron station the other day and put the nozzle in the car, locked the handle and it did not click off once until the tank was full. Looks like I will be going there for gas for now on.

The following users liked this post:
Jerry Secor (01-03-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Maybe if you just squeeze the handle on the Costco nozzles?

Old 01-03-2015, 05:53 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jmfan
I have to say that refueling has been the biggest frustrations with my car. I have always gone to a local Costco for gas because it is the most convenient for me. Every time I take my F-Type there is it a major challenge to get a full tank of gas. The pumps run so fast that the nozzle clicks off every second making for a long fueling time. I’ve tried different pumps there and had better success with some over others but still had trouble. I happened to fill up at a new Chevron station the other day and put the nozzle in the car, locked the handle and it did not click off once until the tank was full. Looks like I will be going there for gas for now on.

My issue with this was solved by rotating the handle slightly forward, but I buy my gas at only 2 different places.
Seems I remember that someone said there is an orifice in the pump to restrict how fast the gas flows. As the orifice wears it pumps faster. I know when I travel for business I use the company car and see a lot of variance in the flow rate.
Perhaps at some of these stations they are not monitored by the state or federal agency as often as they should be and pump extremely fast. Setting the stage for automobiles with slight design challenges to shut of more often.
Looks like you found where to buy gas because I'm telling you, nothing pisses me off worse than trying to keep a pump working!

Old 08-02-2015, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fueling

Same problem! It shuts off fueling nozzle unless I lift vapor collection collarr to let fumes escape into atmosphere. NOT GOOD! EPA will be POed!
My other vehicles have no problem at same nozzle. I've tried several other stations and only one worked well.
Tank not venting properly?
Ideas?

Old 08-02-2015, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member

The vast majority of the reported problems come from people in CA. I've never had the problem in my car on the east coast, even though we also have a type of vapor recovery nozzle in most metro areas. A small number of reports have come from other states, but it's very rare compared to the CA number.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

I just put 18.5 U.S. Gallons in in a single hit. My hand was starting to cramp. Think of the cut outs as customer focussed pump tuning...

Old 08-02-2015, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air pollution?

Lucky you!
Doesn't the UK collect vapors or do they just let them go out to the atmosphere?

Quick Reply: Coupe fuel fill and Meridian 380W observations...