F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO Warranty Exclusion List

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 01:38 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default CPO Warranty Exclusion List

So I remember reading on multiple threads that people were having a hard time finding the exclusions list and were curious what was excluded on the CPO warranty. It took me a while to find the paperwork, however the top sheet of my cpo checklist contained what was not covered. This was given to me when I bought my 2014 F-type in April of 2018.

The following 2 users liked this post by mj1903:
KingFala (01-26-2019), SinF (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 02:31 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Good list to have. Thank you.

Dave

Old 01-22-2019, 10:56 AM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by mj1903
So I remember reading on multiple threads that people were having a hard time finding the exclusions list and were curious what was excluded on the CPO warranty. It took me a while to find the paperwork, however the top sheet of my cpo checklist contained what was not covered. This was given to me when I bought my 2014 F-type in April of 2018.
LOL - that is a pretty significant list of not covered items. CPO seems like a bit of a gimmick to me.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
LOL - that is a pretty significant list of not covered items. CPO seems like a bit of a gimmick to me.
It's not a gimmick. If you look carefully at the list you'll see that most of the excluded items are wear items, not items that fail because of a manufacturing defect. The CPO begins after the 4 or 5 year initial warranty ends. Should any manufacturer be responsible after 4 years for wear on the leather of the driver's seat (as an example of an excluded item) caused by the driver's fondness for denim and sliding across the bolster while getting in or out of the car? Or for worn wiper blades, brake pads, clutch disc wear, pot-holed streets that cause shock absorber wear...?
But a differential failure, transmission failure, water pump failure, fuel injector failure...al the expensive things, are covered.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:22 PM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

Does the OP have the rest of the document which shows exactly what is covered, and would he please post it if he does?

Old 01-22-2019, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by sov211

It's not a gimmick. If you look carefully at the list you'll see that most of the excluded items are wear items, not items that fail because of a manufacturing defect. The CPO begins after the 4 or 5 year initial warranty ends. Should any manufacturer be responsible after 4 years for wear on the leather of the driver's seat (as an example of an excluded item) caused by the driver's fondness for denim and sliding across the bolster while getting in or out of the car? Or for worn wiper blades, brake pads, clutch disc wear, pot-holed streets that cause shock absorber wear...?
But a differential failure, transmission failure, water pump failure, fuel injector failure...al the expensive things, are covered.
It's not just the 70% of the car that is not covered, it's where it says on the stuff that is covered, "not for wear or abuse, only manufacturers defects". What ability would the average owner have to prove the engine failed due to a design defect, or because of any other number of issues?. I'd be shocked if their CPO payout averages more than a couple hundred across a manufacturers CPO lineup.

Last edited by Chawumba; 01-22-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

Here is the list of covered components from the Canadian English-language CPO brochure. I don't think anyone could honestly say that this covers only 30% of the car. It is a pretty exhaustive list. Not great photos - sorry - but I think the list is legible.

Last edited by sov211; 01-22-2019 at 04:48 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by sov211:
DJS (01-23-2019), KingFala (01-26-2019), sparky fuze (01-23-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

It's not just the 70% of the car that is not covered, it's where it says on the stuff that is covered, "not for wear or abuse, only manufacturers defects". What ability would the average owner have to prove the engine failed due to a design defect, or because of any other number of issues?. I'd be shocked if their CPO payout averages more than a couple hundred across a manufacturers CPO lineup.
Warranties can only cover what manufacturers are responsible for. Abuse, idiotic behaviour, and neglect cannot and should not be covered. If an owner cannot prove regular oil changes, if an owner drives the car after a coolant hose ruptures and the engine overheats, if an owner hits a gigantic pothole and damages the suspension components...well, these things clearly are not the responsibility of the manufacturer. Jaguar's CPO warranty is just about the most comprehensive compared to those of other manufacturers.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:17 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

I received the same list sov211 posted and discussed it at length with the manager of the dealership. I for one, am satisfied with the coverage.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
Warranties can only cover what manufacturers are responsible for. Abuse, idiotic behaviour, and neglect cannot and should not be covered. If an owner cannot prove regular oil changes, if an owner drives the car after a coolant hose ruptures and the engine overheats, if an owner hits a gigantic pothole and damages the suspension components...well, these things clearly are not the responsibility of the manufacturer. Jaguar's CPO warranty is just about the most comprehensive compared to those of other manufacturers.

Look, to each his own. If this CPO gives you peace of mind then great. I guess that is what these are for. I personally don't see where CPO gets you anything more than buying a car with a year or two of factory warranty remaining. That bit about only covering non-wear items (and excluding the entire frame, body, sheet metal, paint, etc.) and only then covering the balance of the car for manufacturers defects is pretty significant - hard for me to imagine a factory defect that surfaces after the 4 or 5 year original warranty.

Based on my quick review, this is even written to deceive by making it look as though what is covered is long and what is not is short. For the not covered, they group significant things like the frame, all frame connections and bushings, all body sheet metal, glass, plastic, shiny metal, even paint and corrosion, basically in one sentence. Then they go into individual part level detail (minutia) on the items covered (e.g."fuel line clamp, fuel clamp #2, etc.) in an effort to make the list of covered items look voluminous. I worked in Ford's finance division years ago, and they were proud of the fact that they made more profit selling extended warranties (with similar wording to this CPO agreement) than they did selling vehicles, and this was at the corporate level.

I do agree CPO shouldn't be on the hook for abuse, but excluding coverage for all of the things that normally wear out? I believe they deceive folks into thinking hey, if I get this CPO car I'm covered for several years, but in reality, if the clutch goes out 2 months after buying it, oh well, not covered. And again, if a differential goes or an engine, are you confident they will pay? Who's to say what is "abuse"? Is taking a sports car to the track "abuse"? If you drive several sessions and the oil level goes low during said track day (and Jag apparently didn't see fit to put a low oil level warning light) is that "abuse"? I like to think of myself as a realist, but perhaps I've just seen too much car manufacturer foolery to place much trust in this sort of agreement.

The following users liked this post:
DPelletier (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is all basic economics and reliability engineering. I just got bit on the SRS exclusion, which I wouldn't have thrown into the wear/tear column and assumed it was covered. My mistake, at least it was just a loose connection.

Generally, if car manufacturers, dealers, warranty companies, etc. lost money on warranties, then they wouldn't be in business. In some cases, I'm sure there are some exceptions e.g. Hyundai made notoriously unreliable cars and may have taken a hit for a while on their 10 year warranty to entice new buyers.

A lot of engineering work goes into part selection and its often not for our benefit. With fierce competition, they pick the cheapest part they can get away with. They know exactly what parts are more likely to fail and when they are likely to fail. Guess which ones are excluded from coverage or lifespan ends right after typical warranty coverage ends...

Old 01-25-2019, 12:12 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Look, to each his own. If this CPO gives you peace of mind then great. I guess that is what these are for. I personally don't see where CPO gets you anything more than buying a car with a year or two of factory warranty remaining. That bit about only covering non-wear items (and excluding the entire frame, body, sheet metal, paint, etc.) and only then covering the balance of the car for manufacturers defects is pretty significant - hard for me to imagine a factory defect that surfaces after the 4 or 5 year original warranty.

Based on my quick review, this is even written to deceive by making it look as though what is covered is long and what is not is short. For the not covered, they group significant things like the frame, all frame connections and bushings, all body sheet metal, glass, plastic, shiny metal, even paint and corrosion, basically in one sentence. Then they go into individual part level detail (minutia) on the items covered (e.g."fuel line clamp, fuel clamp #2, etc.) in an effort to make the list of covered items look voluminous. I worked in Ford's finance division years ago, and they were proud of the fact that they made more profit selling extended warranties (with similar wording to this CPO agreement) than they did selling vehicles, and this was at the corporate level.

I do agree CPO shouldn't be on the hook for abuse, but excluding coverage for all of the things that normally wear out? I believe they deceive folks into thinking hey, if I get this CPO car I'm covered for several years, but in reality, if the clutch goes out 2 months after buying it, oh well, not covered. And again, if a differential goes or an engine, are you confident they will pay? Who's to say what is "abuse"? Is taking a sports car to the track "abuse"? If you drive several sessions and the oil level goes low during said track day (and Jag apparently didn't see fit to put a low oil level warning light) is that "abuse"? I like to think of myself as a realist, but perhaps I've just seen too much car manufacturer foolery to place much trust in this sort of agreement.
I took my V8S in for a "strange noise",coming from the frontal area, about 9 months ago. I didn't think much of it since performance did not seem to be affected. I honestly thought it was some panels rubbing together and needed some sort of realignment. I drove it with the tech and duplicated the very faint noise. Tech told me, "I honestly don't know. I've never heard that before." Three days later I get a call from my service advisor letting me know I was getting a new supercharger and a new water pump installed. It was a $16,000 job covered by CPO. I'm sure it's a rare case, but I was very glad I had that coverage.

Dave

Old 01-25-2019, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jst2gtby
I took my V8S in for a "strange noise",coming from the frontal area, about 9 months ago. I didn't think much of it since performance did not seem to be affected. I honestly thought it was some panels rubbing together and needed some sort of realignment. I drove it with the tech and duplicated the very faint noise. Tech told me, "I honestly don't know. I've never heard that before." Three days later I get a call from my service advisor letting me know I was getting a new supercharger and a new water pump installed. It was a $16,000 job covered by CPO. I'm sure it's a rare case, but I was very glad I had that coverage.

Dave

Glad it helped Dave, although $16,000 seems awfully steep for such a repair. I recently had an issue with the supercharger making a rattling noise on my Tundra. Was told by the dealer I had two options, $6000 to replace the whole supercharger, or $2500 to rebuild plus some extra labor. Researched online, realized it was the widely publicized $10 eaton supercharger coupling. Pulled the SC snout and made the repair for $20 (paid extra for the upgraded aftermarket coupling) total and a few hours of my time. Perhaps it's these types of experiences with dealers that has me just a bit untrusting....

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (01-26-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Chawumba;2018429]Glad it helped Dave, although $16,000 seems awfully steep for such a repair. ....[/QUOTE

I think you might have missed his point...you have been crticizing the CPO warranties and implying that Jaguar would profit by the warranty but would use every excuse to not pay for repairs (and you have done so without presenting any supporting evidence). Here we have been given a concrete, real-world example of excellent dealer response and of the value of the CPO warranty (which Jaguar apparently honoured honourably). This is (not incidentally) an example of why a relationship with the dealer is an asset. You may not feel that a CPO warranty is worthwhile (because you feel that the manufacturer will use every possible excuse not to honour it and because you feel that there are too many exclusions), but others feel differently and some have proof of its value. Items covered by the CPO warranty are covered exactly as they are by the original 4 or 5 year warranty (which depends on model year and market designation).

Old 01-25-2019, 01:00 PM

[QUOTE=sov211;2018479]
Glad it helped Dave, although $16,000 seems awfully steep for such a repair. ....[/QUOTE

I think you might have missed his point...you have been crticizing the CPO warranties and implying that Jaguar would profit by the warranty but would use every excuse to not pay for repairs (and you have done so without presenting any supporting evidence). Here we have been given a concrete, real-world example of excellent dealer response and of the value of the CPO warranty (which Jaguar apparently honoured honourably). This is (not incidentally) an example of why a relationship with the dealer is an asset. You may not feel that a CPO warranty is worthwhile (because you feel that the manufacturer will use every possible excuse not to honour it and because you feel that there are too many exclusions), but others feel differently and some have proof of its value. Items covered by the CPO warranty are covered exactly as they are by the original 4 or 5 year warranty (which depends on model year and market designation).
Didn't miss the point, just making an additional point that perhaps the "$16,000 repair" was not really what it was represented as, quite possibly if he had owned the car without the CPO warranty, he might have gotten it fixed for way less through other means. And saying the CPO covers everything exactly as the 4 or 5 year warranty does is a bit far reaching, as the factory warranty doesn't exclude the frame, metal, glass, upholstery, etc. etc. Again, not saying CPO is wrong for everybody, didn't mean to ruffle feathers, glad you are enjoying your CPO coverage..

Old 01-25-2019, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

I recently had water pump replaced on an extended warranty saving $800, still upside down. I have a rattle in supercharger deemed not bad enough yet to fix, new front end module needed. My service advisor said it will get steadily worse so will fix in july, about $2000. Not in dnager of destroying S/C, Eaton changed part in '16. I'll be close enough to break even on warranty if nothing else breaks by Sept.