Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer overfilled oil...and more

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 03:30 PM
SVR
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Dealer overfilled oil...and more

Seems like it's commonly reported here that dealers often overfill oil after service, so I was not surprised this was my case over the weekend. I picked up my car Friday afternoon after taking it in for its 1-year service, along with a rattle behind the passenger seat and software update to address the shitty sound system (neither of which were fixed). Due to the car's frustrating process of checking oil level, I wasn't able to do so while at the dealer so I drove it home. Sure enough, once I was able to check....overfilled. I put about 150 miles on the car before I was able to confirm oil is overfilled, but it's been parked since. Any cause for alarm?

The car is also emitting a very loud screeching metal-on-metal sound during hard right turns since picking it up. There is nothing physically scraping that I can see in and around the wheel-well. It's also not speed dependent, but rather lean angle. Any ideas?

Still waiting on a call back for an appointment to bring it in...

Old 08-20-2018, 04:30 PM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Had the same oil issue...and drove 500k, vacuumed 1.5 L out and reported it to my service rep.
amusingly the manual for the R ( in Canada at least) points out 6.25 L for the awd.
he checked with Jaguar Canada and has sent me written assurance there would be no damage ( also gave me a credit for the difference between the 8 L they said they put in and the 6.25 they should have put in.....@$18.00 / L
Seems a not uncommon issue.
ps: I have carefully retained the "letter"

Old 08-20-2018, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Can't think of anything they would've done at the first service that would lead to the sound you describe. Could be many things but wheel hub assembly...bad bearing?

Old 08-20-2018, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Check the clearance between the rotor and the rotor mud shield. In a hard right, the flexible brake line could be putting additional pressure on a shield with too little clearance and pushing it against the rotor.

The following users liked this post:
Don1954 (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 08:53 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,065 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Wheel isn't seated properly?

Old 08-21-2018, 04:21 PM
SVR

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Check the clearance between the rotor and the rotor mud shield. In a hard right, the flexible brake line could be putting additional pressure on a shield with too little clearance and pushing it against the rotor.
Sounds very plausible. I'll take a look this evening.

Thank you.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:27 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

You have the dreaded passenger side rattle!! A lot of people, including myself, have this. I've taken my interior apart a few times trying to find it and can't. PLEASE PLEASE post back here if the dealer figures it out.

Dealer has overfilled my oil both times they've changed it. Both times by just a splash, a 1/5 quart or so. I use an oil extractor to fix the problem.

Old 08-23-2018, 02:32 AM
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts

I checked the oil for the first time today and the readout is different from what I remember on the my16... looks like it is ok, but not at the middle mark - not sure if middle mark is where it should be or just not in red areas?

Old 08-23-2018, 04:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Greggbhill
I checked the oil for the first time today and the readout is different from what I remember on the my16... looks like it is ok, but not at the middle mark - not sure if middle mark is where it should be or just not in red areas?

Anywhere in the middle is fine. This display basically depicts the final quart in your oil pan.

Greggbhill (08-23-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 05:14 PM
SVR

Well looks like I'm about done with JLR San Jose. Took the car back in to address the noise, overfilled oil, and recently moldy-smelling AC. The rattle is also louder now than before, but I decided to cut my losses on that one.

Picked it up Friday. As Unhingd said, the noise was caused by a shield rubbing against the rotor, even though everything looked to spec when I checked it. Here's the kicker...even though the dealer was the last one to touch anything on or around the brakes, I was charged $250 because there wasn't a "failed component" for a warranty claim. Out of all 11 makes of cars I've had past or present, this was a first.

I get in the car, and sure enough, oil is still showing overfilled so back into the shop. They said it would be at least 10 minutes or so to check the oil level, but I showed them the process of checking the oil instantaneously and they learned a neat new trick. Afterwards, the tech said he only needed to pull out less than half a quart, but he checked the level and everything looks good. I took his word and went home to park the car for the weekend. Drove the car to work today, and surprise surprise...oil is still showing overfilled and my AC still smells like mold.

I used to think dissatisfaction with a dealer was something you only read about on the internet as I genuinely could not relate. The shittiest part is that my 3 closest dealers are each 90 minutes away round-trip, but the other two only give loaners on a first-come-first serve basis.

Sadly, I wanted to order an F-Pace SVR for my GF, but that's certainly not happening anymore.

[/rant]

Old 09-18-2018, 06:22 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Unfortunate. I’d make a point of talking to the GM at the dealership, and there’s no way I’d pay the $250.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:32 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hades281
You have the dreaded passenger side rattle!! A lot of people, including myself, have this. I've taken my interior apart a few times trying to find it and can't. PLEASE PLEASE post back here if the dealer figures it out
I had a rattle from the passenger side that sounded like it was buried deep beneath the plastic. Only certain bumps would cause it... I brought it in twice to no avail, but on the third time, I drove around the dealership area and I found an expansion joint on a HWY overpass that could allow me to replicate the sound at will. I took the chief mechanic along with me and we both finally heard the same noise. He took the whole interior apart and drove it over that bump until he found the problem. One of the wiring harnesses was loose/improperly seated, causing this rattle and leaving witness marks against the metal it was rattling against....

Old 09-19-2018, 01:09 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

I feel your pain SVR, San Jose is closest to me too but not touching that place after the stories I have heard. Took mine all the way up to Marin for service #1 and they overfilled too (along with forgetting about it for a week...) Mine is a V6 RWD, so no one is exempt. Bought it at Livermore so might take it there next time...

Old 09-19-2018, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

I wonder, are warranty laws and/or dealerships all that different in the US vs UK and Oz?
Here in Oz and in the UK you do not have to take the car to a JLR dealership for routine servicing to preserve the warranty, the service (oil change etc) only needs to be done by a licensed workshop.
Lots of discussion and agreement on the UK forums about how terrible many/most JLR dealerships are (a few good ones though), and taking the car to an independent shop (called in "indy" in the UK) almost always saves lots of time, hassle and money.
I avoid my local dealership like the plague and have only ever used them once, for warranty claim work (rattling supercharger torsion isolator). I can't really try another dealership even if I wanted to as the next closest one is 700 km away. Other than that one instance of warranty work I have had the F-Type serviced by an indy when still in warranty and since the warranty expired 8 months ago I have done all servicing myself.
Why do most of you guys in the US keep taking your cars to a dealership, surely there must be plenty of quality independent shops around?

Old 09-19-2018, 09:07 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Well, a lot of cars have 'free' scheduled maintenance for the first 4-5 years, so you'd have to go to a dealer for that.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:17 PM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Having a car - in particular from a premium brand - serviced by a dealer sells easier down here, regardless of the dealer doing a good job...

Old 01-10-2019, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 530 Likes on 346 Posts

Add me to the overfilled list. Instead of waiting for an appointment for the dealer to address it, I just ran down to the jag shop down the street, Gene McCafferty's Automotive Services, and they quickly got my car in. Up on the lift it went, they drained 2 quarts from it and then brought it back down to refill to the appropriate level and they put back in...just over a quart. So, doing the math, the dealer probably filled it to the RWD spec. How is this still happening?

Anyway, thanks to the resources here. I never did figure out how to get the 'live' reading going (the instructions from Tel appear to be for the older model), but in normal mode, you could see the oil being added back in.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:08 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

SF Bay area owners, over multiple Jaguars, I have been pleased with Cole european in Walnut Creek, lied to by the Livermore bunch, and pleased with the Marin dealership. My FT goes in next week to Cole for ann'l servicing. If things differ, will letcha know!

Buckingham (01-14-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

.... and people still take their cars to dealers when they don't have to - for tires etc. Dealer is last choice, always.

OzXFR (01-10-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 05:34 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Well, a lot of cars have 'free' scheduled maintenance for the first 4-5 years, so you'd have to go to a dealer for that.
Sounds like you're still paying for them in some way, though.

Quick Reply: Dealer overfilled oil...and more