F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disabling eco-start convertible 2014.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 04:36 PM
Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Disabling eco-start convertible 2014.

Hi guys, I did a search and could only come up with one video that a fellow member had posted regarding disabling the ego-start however it looks like it’s for the coupe and the set up in the convertible looks to be different. Please see the photos below and let me know if anyone with a convertible has disabled the eco-start

The coupe set up screenshotted from the YouTube vid.

My convertible set up

Old 06-17-2019, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 563 Likes on 382 Posts

On a 2014, you have a second (small) battery next to the main one. Just disconnect it.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 497 Likes on 373 Posts

After a week or two, either punching the ECO switch to turn it off, or flicking the switch to put the car in DYNAMIC mode, becomes second nature...

The following users liked this post:
Deemo (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by uncheel
On a 2014, you have a second (small) battery next to the main one. Just disconnect it.
So the purpose of that second battery is simply to run the eco-start?

Old 06-18-2019, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Deemo
So the purpose of that second battery is simply to run the eco-start?
Exactly. Just disconnect the + lead to the smaller battery; done! Now you will no longer be annoyed by the start/stop system...there are no negative effects whatever.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Exactly. Just disconnect the + lead to the smaller battery; done! Now you will no longer be annoyed by the start/stop system...there are no negative effects whatever.
Much easier just to disconnect the earth lead which runs from the negative terminal from where it bolts to the floor.
Also there is a lot of misunderstanding about the stop/start two battery system and from all my research it works like this:
The secondary (smaller) battery is not used to start the car once it has been stopped, that is still done by the main battery.
All the secondary battery does is power the peripherals (lights, HVAC, sound system etc) for the second or two it takes to restart the car once it has been stopped. The reason for this is so the starter motor gets all the amps it needs from the main battery without the drag of also running the peripherals, and the secondary battery doesn't have enough amps to properly run the starter motor.
Then, once the car has been restarted, the main battery takes over powering the peripherals again and the secondary battery goes back to sleep.
The management system which controls the stop/start "dance" between the two batteries is fairly complicated and there are literally dozens of conditions under which the stop/start system is disabled, all listed in the Owner's Handbook.
And yes, disabling the system by disconnecting the secondary battery has no side effects at all, I have been running this way for 2 years and 9 months now with zero problems.

The following users liked this post:
Deemo (06-18-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Much easier just to disconnect the earth lead which runs from the negative terminal from where it bolts to the floor.
Also there is a lot of misunderstanding about the stop/start two battery system and from all my research it works like this:
The secondary (smaller) battery is not used to start the car once it has been stopped, that is still done by the main battery.
All the secondary battery does is power the peripherals (lights, HVAC, sound system etc) for the second or two it takes to restart the car once it has been stopped. The reason for this is so the starter motor gets all the amps it needs from the main battery without the drag of also running the peripherals, and the secondary battery doesn't have enough amps to properly run the starter motor.
Then, once the car has been restarted, the main battery takes over powering the peripherals again and the secondary battery goes back to sleep.
The management system which controls the stop/start "dance" between the two batteries is fairly complicated and there are literally dozens of conditions under which the stop/start system is disabled, all listed in the Owner's Handbook.
And yes, disabling the system by disconnecting the secondary battery has no side effects at all, I have been running this way for 2 years and 9 months now with zero problems.

Given the fact that I drive it in Dynamic 99% of the time and the fact that there's is such an orchestrated dance between all of it, I think I will just leave it be

I did however figure out how to disconnect that annoyingA$$ small horn that beeps on lock etc yesterday so I'm quite pleased with that :P

Old 06-19-2019, 11:59 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Or you could have gone into the menu and disabled it.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
Or you could have gone into the menu and disabled it.

Haha! Do tell!! I looked for it there but didn’t spot it