F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Economist article on Tata

Old 03-17-2019, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

The F1 V12 was from BMW from memory. Which I suppose takes some of the pain away if Jag go to BMW for their new V8. I mean, if it is good enough for the F1...

Old 03-18-2019, 02:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ16er
Look at how many years it took for a huge company with very deep pockets like VW to top the McLaren F1's (naturally aspirated) speed record. The British automotive industry is something truly iconic and in a league of its own.
And most folks cant even fathom how subsidized and supported VW is. They are essentially state owned. And VW had to pull out of USA. Caught twice for defrauding. Folks forget that. Jaguar has never had to pull out.

Yes if we break it down by part its mind-blowing how much of a car was invented in little ole UK
LED lights
Disc Brakes (and they still make the best brakes in the world)
Carbon Fiber Brakes
Carbon Fiber
Supercharger
Alternator
Tires
Universal Joint
Diesel Engine
Hydraulic Accumulator (thing that holds our bonnets and hatch open)
Stainless steel
Electromagnet
Bowden Cable (throttle Cable)
Seatbelt
Aluminium Monocoque chassis (lotus)
Carbon Fiber Monocoque chassis (McLaren)

Love to see comparable Tex-Mex list.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 03-18-2019 at 02:33 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:33 AM
GGG
Received 16,757 Likes on 12,146 Posts

I've removed posts with grossly offensive and personal remarks. This thread either gets back on track or it gets CLOSED.

Members treat each other with courtesy and respect on these forums. I'll be more than happy to remove anyone who fails to understand this.

Graham

The following 5 users liked this post by GGG:
DJS (03-18-2019), enderle (03-18-2019), JgaXkr (03-18-2019), sklimii (03-18-2019), swajames (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 07:13 AM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
The F1 V12 was from BMW from memory. Which I suppose takes some of the pain away if Jag go to BMW for their new V8. I mean, if it is good enough for the F1...
Why are they looking for a new V8? There was nothing wrong with the 5.0L.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:39 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

It was built under license from Ford (something like that.) Jag is ending their agreement with Ford a bit early. There's a thread here about that.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,129 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by xxaarraa
Last I heard, Rolls Royce was owned by BMW.

All this patriotic patting yourself on the back is great, but tell me why every single British car company went belly up, and got bought by better managed and bigger companies? If your manufacturing is so strong, why do your companies go belly up?
They have also always been **** poor at building and sustaining a global car manufacturer.

Again, being a hub for motorsports R&D is worth dog poop in the real world. Lotus is a great F1 team, that doesn't mean their woefully outdated road cars aren't a pile of garbage. And the 1% of the world that watches European motorsports is so out of touch with reality, that it really means jack **** to the other 99% that R&D is strong in Britain. Results speak for themselves.
Given your uninformed and utter disdain of British cars, aren't you in the wrong forum? Perhaps a Kia forum (good cars actually) or a YUGO forum might suit you better? How many British cars have you owned or even driven?

Old 03-18-2019, 10:12 AM
GGG
Received 16,757 Likes on 12,146 Posts

That's not entirely accurate. The 5.0 litre (and previous 4.2) are built at the separate self contained Jaguar facility within the Ford Engine Plant at Bridgend in South Wales.

It was one of the improvements and efficiencies Ford introduced during their tenure of Jaguar. The agreement continued when Tata took over but for a limited time. Jaguar opened a new engine plant in Wolverhampton in 2014 which is very much closer to the vehicle production facility and removes the reliance on the Bridgend facility for newer engines. It also has double the production capacity of Bridgend.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Queen and Country (03-18-2019), sov211 (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

JLR has to leverage one engine across many product lines.

There is a political challenge with V8s in our current climate where big engines are seen as archaic, excessive and harmful.

While it may make sense in a sports car, it does not in the Range Rover, which is used extensively by those in the public eye. Plus much of the competition has switched to inline-6

Old 03-18-2019, 10:40 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
JLR has to leverage one engine across many product lines.

There is a political challenge with V8s in our current climate where big engines are seen as archaic, excessive and harmful.

While it may make sense in a sports car, it does not in the Range Rover, which is used extensively by those in the public eye. Plus much of the competition has switched to inline-6
I wonder if it is region-specific. Here in the USA,we're all about the power. Especially if it's archaic and excessive.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:46 AM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
the 4cyl is already recalled? jesus.
wasn’t there a recall about a year ago for a leaking fuel rail in the four. I remember being told dealers were unable to release 4 cyl cars.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Prange
I wonder if it is region-specific. Here in the USA,we're all about the power. Especially if it's archaic and excessive.
Its true the pressure to go smaller is greater in rest of the world, and always has been, but America was the saving grace.
But now the writing is on the wall is North America too.

Look at the new electronic valve engine that Jaguar has developed. They can get power and small size. Which was not possible in the past.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Look at the new electronic valve engine that Jaguar has developed. They can get power and small size. Which was not possible in the past.
Yes, but think what a proper V8 with this tech could do. You can get even MORE power.

Thankfully, Canada is small enough that car trends fully align with US. You can (and should!) get a ridiculous big engine sports car.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
Yes, but think what a proper V8 with this tech could do. You can get even MORE power.

Thankfully, Canada is small enough that car trends fully align with US. You can (and should!) get a ridiculous big engine sports car.
I believe there is no replacement for displacement. I have wondered why they don't just dust off the blueprints and bring back the AJ16? It was a wonderful engine. Sure, maybe not very fuel economical by today's standards but it could be worked out with modern engine management systems and direct injection.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:07 PM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by xxaarraa
I sold my 2017 in 3 months. Most beautiful and exotic car I have ever owned, but absolute pile of garbage as far as build quality goes. Door seals leak, car takes water every time its washed or it rains, rusts inside out, seat bottoms untuck, panels don't fit right. Lotus does not keep any parts in stock, does not have a dealer inventory and parts management system and even simple things like seats are 8-10 weeks out. Wiring is absolutely hysterical, with frequent ground faults and random codes thrown by nearly every sensor on the car. I had a OBD2 scanner permanently in the car to clear codes on a daily basis. That's before you get to the major mechanical issues with the IPS auto tranny. There is a single component that is not Toyota made and that's the actuator motor and range sensor unit and Lotus managed to **** that up. Car would repeatedly randomly stall and go into limp mode. And Lotus the company is run by retards. They don't honor warranty claims, factory doesn't work on Fridays.

They are an absolute example of shoddy home made British workmanship and a company that should have gone out of business long long ago, or stuck to making $30k track toys. Big professional corporations like Tata or Geely buying these boutique British shops is a blessing. And I would take made in China over made in England every day of the week. English build quality is a joke, always been that way. They should stick to bodywork and suspension setup and let the adults do the manufacturing.

What else would you like to know?
L.O.T.U.S.
"Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious"
- Jeremy Clarkson

lol

Old 03-18-2019, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

It hasn’t been until recently that V8s have been associated with sport cars, but rather were associated with Detroit muscle. Traditionally, high performance sports cars have been high revving, moderate displacement engines with multiples of 6 cylinders.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by WJV
L.O.T.U.S.
"Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious"
- Jeremy Clarkson

lol
This is definitely serious and from a relatively large manufacturer of mass production cars.

https://youtu.be/oVjQQj8Rx98

Another one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mJB8LdMrM-w

Last edited by AJ16er; 03-19-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
It hasn’t been until recently that V8s have been associated with sport cars, but rather were associated with Detroit muscle. Traditionally, high performance sports cars have been high revving, moderate displacement engines with multiples of 6 cylinders.
Does your definition of recent includes pre-flood times? :P

Old 03-19-2019, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Does your definition of recent includes pre-flood times? :P
Yes indeed. Recent is last quarter century+. (Post ECU intro).

Old 03-19-2019, 05:25 PM
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

I have had many Lotuses over the decades. The recent ones were as reliable as any other car. The Elise daily driver I owned for 12 years ( and traded for my 2017 R) only needed tires, and oil changes. I didn’t buy an Evora 400 even though the driving dynamics were better than the F Type simply because I found the exterior styling too clumsy and the interior not up to the price. I also was put off by the new Chinese ownership, I have enough Chinese made crap in my life as it is.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by SJones
I have had many Lotuses over the decades. The recent ones were as reliable as any other car. The Elise daily driver I owned for 12 years ( and traded for my 2017 R) only needed tires, and oil changes. I didn’t buy an Evora 400 even though the driving dynamics were better than the F Type simply because I found the exterior styling too clumsy and the interior not up to the price. I also was put off by the new Chinese ownership, I have enough Chinese made crap in my life as it is.
Did you ever own an Esprit? Or perhaps drove one?