F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enabling Configurable Dynamics "Dynamic-i" and other features

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 06:51 PM
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

HI Cambo: Are there separate TCM mods besides the ECU tunes? It seems when I'm driving in city traffic, the gearbox likes to cycle quickly to a gear or two higher than I prefer...good for fuel economy...but often time feels like its begging for a downshift. Sport mode helps a bit, and I can of course paddle down a couple of gears...but I was curious as to whether separate TCM mods are something thats even available or not. NOTE: this occurs mostly when city driving...open road "spirited" driving seems to be fine.
Cheers
CRS

Old 12-20-2016, 07:49 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

As far as I understand it, the selected gear is controlled by the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) not by the TCM (Transmission Control Module).

The PCM tells the TCM when to shift up or down, depending on the engine load, rpm, throttle position, etc... The TCM has it's own job of managing the shifts (how quickly it shifts etc) but as far as choosing which gear to be in at which speed, load, etc, that's up to the PCM...

I noticed this with the F-Type V8S's when we flashed the R tune into them, the shift strategies were more aggressive; especially the kickdown when you floor it. Never touched the TCM in the car yet somehow the transmission is much more lively...

Seems there are some people offering "TCM tunes" now but it's still a bit of an unknown from my side, there is a forum member not far from me who's going to try one of these TCM tunes on his XFR, will be interesting to see how it goes.

But to answer your question, I think the PCM programming has more to do with what you're experiencing than the TCM...

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
CRS 123 (12-20-2016), DesignConfig (10-05-2020)
Old 12-20-2016, 10:50 PM
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
As far as I understand it, the selected gear is controlled by the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) not by the TCM (Transmission Control Module).

The PCM tells the TCM when to shift up or down, depending on the engine load, rpm, throttle position, etc... The TCM has it's own job of managing the shifts (how quickly it shifts etc) but as far as choosing which gear to be in at which speed, load, etc, that's up to the PCM...

I noticed this with the F-Type V8S's when we flashed the R tune into them, the shift strategies were more aggressive; especially the kickdown when you floor it. Never touched the TCM in the car yet somehow the transmission is much more lively...

Seems there are some people offering "TCM tunes" now but it's still a bit of an unknown from my side, there is a forum member not far from me who's going to try one of these TCM tunes on his XFR, will be interesting to see how it goes.

But to answer your question, I think the PCM programming has more to do with what you're experiencing than the TCM...
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I can see how one would have to be a computer code master to decipher how the different control units are talking to each other and how all those parameters interact. If there was a class on that I would sign up:-)

Old 12-21-2016, 02:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cambo, I have a 2014 V8S- is it possible to update the software of the infotainment of the car? I’m sure items like incontrol or just drive most likely will not work. But possibly at least the User interface could look a bit better.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:57 AM

Welcome to the forum apenn, when you get a moment stop by our new members area ==>> New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

As for Infotainment updates...

Incontrol Apps / Just Drive: could be retrofitted but it needs an additional module and some rather expensive cabling. Can be done, but probably $1000-$1500 in parts scrounged from wrecks and a fair few hours of programming.

Has there been any improvements in the User Interface between 2014 and 2017? If so then yes there are possibilities, perhaps fitting a 2017 touchscreen to a 2014 car. But this has not been tried yet. So... maybe?

Old 12-21-2016, 09:00 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo

Don't forget that the transmission appears to be 'learning', i.e. it adapts somewhat to driving style.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
My 2014 V8S has it. My son and I battle over the settings each time we both drive it. It was an option that came with it on mine.
My 2014 V8S also has it but I thought it came standard as I didn't see a line item on the option sheet for it.

Dave

Old 11-18-2017, 05:02 AM

Does anyone know of a company in the U.K. that could do this upgrade to configurable dynamics?
Or can anyone supply any sort of kit of s/w and interface parts?
-Jon

Old 11-18-2017, 10:08 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the same question for the US market. This thread starts with saying that its a simple software update, etc... but no details on who/what/where/when/how. Any information on performing the update to enable configurable dynamics for '14 v6s would be appreciated.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:01 PM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

is possible also on v6 base ?

model that don't have this feature (think if set up all without the dynamic supensions)

Old 11-18-2017, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

That's the problem if you don't actually have the hardware - all you achieve is enabling another screen in the car setup display which doesn't actually do anything when you push the buttons...

Old 11-18-2017, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

In answer to the last couple of questions:
It probably can't be activated on a Base model (which doesn't have Active Suspension), but I don't think anyone has tried to do it on a Base to check for sure.
It can only be done using the JLR-specific SDD system and software which must be installed on a stand-alone laptop running (I think!) Windows XP, ie it won't work with Windows 7 or 10 (Cambo can confirm), you need a genuine Mongoose cable (not a Chinese knock-off Mangoose cable), you may need to enable "Engineering Mode", it may insist you connect to / log in to the JLR website for authorised users only, for most things you need to have a minimum 15 amp power source connected to the battery, and you need a fair bit of knowledge to figure out what to do and how to do it, trial and error carries a huge risk of bricking your ECU.
In summary, all this gear costs quite a lot and it's not for the faint hearted, Cambo can explain in more detail.

The following users liked this post:
DesignConfig (10-05-2020)
Old 11-18-2017, 06:02 PM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

perfect explanation

Old 11-18-2017, 08:05 PM

It's a software setting in the Car Configuration File, in Oz's car I "turned it on" using the JLR-dealer SDD diagnostic tool I have. It's in a locked out part of the vehicle configuration, so you need to enable the engineering mode to change this setting. JLR dealers are prohibited to make changes like this, it's a policy from HQ.

Word of warning to anyone who wants to try this in their own, don't buy a $50 clone/copy Mongoose with hacked SDD software from ebay and expect to do this yourself!

You need at least a 40A battery charger, the cars draw around 35A with the ignition on so the battery goes flat very quickly, and if the voltage drops too low during programming, you've got a very expensive paperweight on your hands.

I know a few people around the world with reliable SDD setups, genuine interfaces & big chargers, who could do this. In the UK, and east-coast USA.

I don't think it will be functional on a base car that does not have active suspension, or active exhaust.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:40 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

wait, so Cambo you can code in DAB, does it need any additional hardware?

what i think will be worth looking into is retrofitting the new led headlights, i've seen in the XJ forum they are already doing this

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nality-167689/

Last edited by domino_z; 11-18-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

I think DAB needs some extra hardware such as a module or antenna or something, maybe Cambo can confirm.
I have DAB and it's great!

Old 11-18-2017, 11:54 PM

DAB+ retrofit depends on which audio system you have in your car. The IAM2.1 system requires an additional module, the antenna, and the wiring is missing (I make the wiring up) and then it needs to be activated in the Car Configuration File.

If you have a newer car with the NGI/NLI system it gets a bit more complicated, cars with NGI are just a matter of adding the antenna, the wiring and enabling it. Cars with the NLI head unit are a total pain in the backside, basically not worth the bother.

If you send me a PM with the VIN of your car I can check which system it has, and then we know if it's possible or not. There was a bit of a crossover in 2016 of which cars got which system.

I have a contact in Melbourne who can make the DAB+ install & activation.

The headlight upgrade on the XJ doesn't need any software changes, it's solved with just wiring changes and a bit of extra hardware like x-dave made up. Actually you can't make it work with just software anyhow...

Old 12-26-2017, 01:45 AM

Extremely happy that i've found this post! Merry Christmas to all!

I've just picked up a new F-Type S British Design Edition and am wondering if I could get a hand with enabling configurable dynamics, upgrading the sound system and maybe a few other goodies. I'm located in Sydney, not sure if I can shoot a PM yet considering this is a new account. Cheers!

Old 12-26-2017, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by chandy
Extremely happy that i've found this post! Merry Christmas to all!

I've just picked up a new F-Type S British Design Edition and am wondering if I could get a hand with enabling configurable dynamics, upgrading the sound system and maybe a few other goodies. I'm located in Sydney, not sure if I can shoot a PM yet considering this is a new account. Cheers!
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new wheels!

That's right as a new member with only 1 post, you cannot send PM's, but you can receive them, so i've sent you one.

Stop by our new members area when you get a chance https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-intro-must-5/

indietor (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 04:34 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

All I'm going to say is thanks, Cambo and FrickenFast

you guys rock!

The following 2 users liked this post by CSXWW:
Cambo (02-18-2018), indietor (02-17-2018)

Quick Reply: Enabling Configurable Dynamics "Dynamic-i" and other features