F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Lacking on 2019 F-Type R Convertible! Any help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M3 Wrath
I'm in the exact same boat as AtTheJob. I had leased a 16 R vert and loved all the exhaust fireworks when feathering the throttle on overrun. I wanted a 19 R vert as Jaguar added ventilated seats - a very welcomed feature when driving a convertible with the top down on hot days. The dealer delivered the 19 on a flatbed while picking up the trade in at the same time - a very nice perk considering the nearest dealer is 3.5 hours away. Because of that, I didn't really get to take a test drive - a seemingly dubious task after driving a nearly identical car for the past three years. Anyway, the car is nice but I too am very disappointed at the lack of pops when lifting off the throttle. No, you can't rev it higher to force it to happen. No, it doesn't get better with Dynamic mode selected. No, it doesn't improve after time. No, it doesn't improve after the ECU adapts. No, it doesn't improve after the break in period or the after an accumulation of miles. Trust us, it's different, and not in a good way. While I always appreciate the info I get from other members here, there is also a lot of speculation and conjecture that feels sort of condescending at times (like now). If you KNOW what the problem is and KNOW how to fix it, we're all ears!
Thanks for confirming the sad situation that we're both in... Have you approached your dealer and gotten any feedback from them? I know better than to ask mine as I've found their service to be difficult...

Old 02-07-2019, 12:00 AM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I haven't talked to them yet. The car wasn't delivered until late this fall. I did drive it quite a bit before the snow came to Montana, but I'll have to wait until spring to bring it in for it's first service. The dealership is over 3 hours away and I have to drive over a mountain pass which is usually full of snow and sand/gravel until late April/early May. Yes, it's all wheel drive but I don't like all the rock chips that happen on winter drives here. Once I'm able to drive it over I'll call ahead and schedule a sit down with the manager to discuss options, although I don't know if he'll be able to do anything for me or allow me to experiment with the VAP tune, as it is (currently) a leased car. I'm hoping its a programming issue that could possibly be resolved, but I'm not an engineer so I really don't know. With all that being said, I have purchased several cars at lease end and would consider doing so with this car if we can get this issue resolved. It has all the features I have wanted and I have the means to buy it, but I usually like to "rent" them for a while before deciding. Some cars have been returned as they didn't live up to my expectations and some have been purchased and driven for years. The funny thing about this whole situation is that I was considering moving from my 16 F-Type R to the MB AMG GT-C, but loved the sound of the F-Type so much more.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:11 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

For what it's worth I went from a rifle volley inducing V8s to an SVR and like you I felt it was much quieter. I ran it in properly and can report now it's at least if not more pops and cracks than the v8s.

i was very disappointed at first but a few k miles in and it's back to form not sure why it's like that but here is mine https://youtu.be/I--CmS32STU stick with it. Fyi that's an MY18 SVR

Old 02-07-2019, 06:40 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

The same disillusionment for me. I took possession recently of my 2019 2.0L. and I am very frustrated because the exhaust makes almost no noise even in dynamic mode. At my dealer, they talk about 3,500 / 4,000 rpm and a few more km but don't believe it. Help me, help us.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:21 AM
Banned
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dave_Sw1
For what it's worth I went from a rifle volley inducing V8s to an SVR and like you I felt it was much quieter. I ran it in properly and can report now it's at least if not more pops and cracks than the v8s.

i was very disappointed at first but a few k miles in and it's back to form not sure why it's like that but here is mine https://youtu.be/I--CmS32STU stick with it. Fyi that's an MY18 SVR
I know its hard to believe for those used to lesser cars, and your car sounds great in its own right, but your youtube video nicely demostrates a muted car. You are working way too hard to get the crackles out, and the 2000-4000 magestic harmonies are either missing or not being picked up by the mic. It should effortlessly crackle, pop, and burble all the down from a few thousand RPM to idle. The high end of the rev range is not as affected by the software change, probably because the California test moronically ignores when noise happens.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 02-07-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by VinceF-type
The same disillusionment for me. I took possession recently of my 2019 2.0L. and I am very frustrated because the exhaust makes almost no noise even in dynamic mode. At my dealer, they talk about 3,500 / 4,000 rpm and a few more km but don't believe it. Help me, help us.
So that's a 4 cylinder.

To the others reporting this problem with a '19, what does your odometer read?

Old 02-07-2019, 10:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nati
So that's a 4 cylinder.

To the others reporting this problem with a '19, what does your odometer read?
It's not an odometer issue. Flashing the new software made my 17000 mile 2014 quiet in an instant. Jag says the new software is quieter.

Here is what it sounds like with the patch after the dealer screwed up my car. It's maybe 90% back to normal. The test is lively pops and crackles below ~3500 RPM. With the new software, you'll get a half-pop, then little energy as you wind down to idle RPM. Crappy phone audio, I know...

Old 02-08-2019, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMLIGHTA
It's not an odometer issue. Flashing the new software made my 17000 mile 2014 quiet in an instant. Jag says the new software is quieter.

Here is what it sounds like with the patch after the dealer screwed up my car. It's maybe 90% back to normal. The test is lively pops and crackles below ~3500 RPM. With the new software, you'll get a half-pop, then little energy as you wind down to idle RPM. Crappy phone audio, I know...
I'm just trying to keep from conflating two issues. There was an issue with older model years that was software related after the K302 (I believe) campaign update. It was reported that it completely eliminated the overrun. That probably is what affected your 2014 car.

It is also absolutely true that these cars get more burbly after the break in. But we're talking 2-3k miles.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nati
I'm just trying to keep from conflating two issues. There was an issue with older model years that was software related after the K302 (I believe) campaign update. It was reported that it completely eliminated the overrun. That probably is what affected your 2014 car.

It is also absolutely true that these cars get more burbly after the break in. But we're talking 2-3k miles.
Mufflers have a break-in period as the carbon deposits help lose rasp. But the F-Type's raucaus overun is (or used to be) created by the ECU dumping fuel via computer program. Ian Callum talks about this on several videos, and VAP tuning suggested they can recreate it in a tune. Doesn't sound like break-in to me.

On a side note, the auto community cried foul when the F-Type "artificially" blew away everyone elses exaust note with ECU-created controlled misfires. Now, every manufacturer and tuner does it, except Jaguar apparently.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:10 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,065 Likes on 1,370 Posts

I'll chime in to agree with Nati. Mine wasn't quiet initially, but it definitely got louder after a few thousand miles.

The following users liked this post:
VinceF-type (02-13-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Even my VAP Tune needed some enthusiastic driving to get back (more than) the full effect.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:04 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky fuze
First-world problems.
It twue

Old 02-11-2019, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad news to report... I spoke to my local dealer last week and they just sent me an email today with the following (from the Level 4 tech in the shop)

"I got an answer from my guy in Mahwah. I appears the best we can do with the exhaust feedback is by using the Dynamic/Sport Mode. The fuel necessary for the back-talk apparently got us in Federal Emissions hot water.
Your gub'ment at work.
Sorry."

Old 02-11-2019, 11:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AtTheJob
Bad news to report... I spoke to my local dealer last week and they just sent me an email today with the following (from the Level 4 tech in the shop)

"I got an answer from my guy in Mahwah. I appears the best we can do with the exhaust feedback is by using the Dynamic/Sport Mode. The fuel necessary for the back-talk apparently got us in Federal Emissions hot water.
Your gub'ment at work.
Sorry."
Strange response. Dynamic mode on/off makes no exhaust noise difference, neither does Sport/Drive mode. This is the problem with Jag dealers in my experience and confirmed here, they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Might as well ask the chimp at the zoo.

The following users liked this post:
BS Alarm (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 12:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by AtTheJob

Your gub'ment at work.
Sorry."
Sorry to hear that. But why does it take 5 year for them to realize they are in trouble?

In my '17 R, dynamic engine mode with exhaust open is noticeably louder than normal engine mode with exhaust open.
Maybe I should be thankful to my dealer on this particular matter, who hasn't done anything to my exhaust yet. My dealer always says "you are good! no recalls!" which I don't quite believe...

Old 02-12-2019, 08:50 AM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by VinceF-type
The 2.0 is always quiet. It’s a 2.0..... They are supposed to be quiet.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:13 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JIMLIGHTA
Strange response. Dynamic mode on/off makes no exhaust noise difference, neither does Sport/Drive mode...
For those of us without switchable active exhaust, Dynamic mode is how we enable active exhaust.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:51 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
For those of us without switchable active exhaust, Dynamic mode is how we enable active exhaust.
I rigged mine open by blocking vacuum tubes and the dash pots. Any reason you want the exhaust quiet at any time?

Old 02-12-2019, 11:42 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
I rigged mine open by blocking vacuum tubes and the dash pots. Any reason you want the exhaust quiet at any time?
I pulled the F43 fuse, so my valves are open 100% of the time, which leads to unpleasant drone at highway speeds with the top up. I ordered the wireless F43 switch someone referenced in another thread to get around that issue a bit more easily than reinstalling F43. [None of this applies to the current model, I think.]

Old 02-12-2019, 03:10 PM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I pulled the F43 fuse, so my valves are open 100% of the time, which leads to unpleasant drone at highway speeds with the top up. I ordered the wireless F43 switch someone referenced in another thread to get around that issue a bit more easily than reinstalling F43. [None of this applies to the current model, I think.]
Unless it's because mine is a base V-6 I don't understand the drone issue; I get no drone at any speed, unlike when I performed the same surgery on my 2015 Ghibli, which at certain speeds would make my head hurt after a bit.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Lacking on 2019 F-Type R Convertible! Any help?