F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Lacking on 2019 F-Type R Convertible! Any help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Some folks have found that a tune can help with the sound, at least on a V6. Talk to VAP...
+1. VAP can solve the problem.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjohnt
Didn't you test drive the 2019? If so, I would think you would've recognized the muted exhaust.
Since he's owned a few F-Type's, he probably didn't feel the need to test drive an updated version.

The following users liked this post:
AtTheJob (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 05:46 PM
Banned
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Didn't you test drive the 2019? If so, I would think you would've recognized the muted exhaust.

My guess is they did this because customers were complaining of blowing out their catalytic converters and getting error codes.
Top end rev noise is pretty similar. Its only about 75% quieter below 4500 RPM or so. With no overun crackle at all in that band, maybe a random short pop series or two every 5-10 minutes. You have to down shift very hard to get the revs up enough to get anything. It was truly awful compared to a proper F-Type, but sadly, better than anything else out there.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 02-05-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:07 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMLIGHTA
Top end rev noise is pretty similar. Its only about 75% quieter below 4500 RPM or so. With no overun crackle at all in that band, maybe a random short pop series or two every 5-10 minutes. You have to down shift very hard to get the revs up enough to get anything. It was truly awful compared to a proper F-Type, but sadly, better than anything else out there.
I have a 2014 V8S, had the latest software loaded onto the car a couple of months back - still got plenty of pops and crackles all the way though the rev range. No difference for me.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ek993

I have a 2014 V8S, had the latest software loaded onto the car a couple of months back - still got plenty of pops and crackles all the way though the rev range. No difference for me.
They probably loaded the patch like they are supposed to.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
The car is quieter during very initial break-in miles. Generally, you need to put it into performance/sport mode to have the best sound.
Trust me - That's not the problem! I ONLY drive it in Dynamic + performance/sport mode. I think the only exception to that was the day I had to race an employee to the ER after injuring himself on a saw at the office. Couldn't bring myself to turn the pipes on when he was suffering...

Old 02-05-2019, 08:29 PM

That's not it. Jaguar admits they've done this. JTB00495 was released for customers "complaining of reduced exhaust noise after the application of the June-2016+ software update."

My V8 S had 17000 miles on it when they removed the exaust note without my permission via the June-2016 software update. It makes the Active Exhaust switch about 75% quieter below approx 4500 RPM. Fuse 43 does not help as the issue is not within the exaust system, it is the removal of programed fuel injection on the overrun. This has been a known/intentional problem for a long time, but it only affects those familiar with the original Alpha Male version of the F-Type. See...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...e-pops-189453/
It sounds like I'm out of luck then... Really disappointed...

Old 02-05-2019, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by sparky fuze
First-world problems.
Yup... Sure is - And I'm not ashamed of it... I work hard to play harder - and it sucks that my new car doesn't play the way I expected it to... It sucks even more that it's likely this is intentional from Jaguar and I'm unlikely to see a resolution...

Old 02-05-2019, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
We can get you what you're looking for with our ECU Tuning (as well as some extra ponies), obviously with the usual warranty implications.
I appreciate the offer - but I'm hesitant to tune a lease - I've been listening to some of the tuning videos you've done and they sound good, but "slightly off" vs. the "normal" sounds that I've been used to for the past 4 years...

Old 02-05-2019, 08:39 PM

Its a bad idea to tune a lease car you don't own. Better to return it if it doesn't meet your expectations.

If enough people tell Jaguar we actually liked the original F-Type's sound (DUH!!!) and won't accept a neutered cat when we paid for a virile male, there is a 1 in a million chance they will come to their senses.
If I could return it, I honestly think I would... But since I had it shipped in, (and then waited a few days for the snow to melt), my 3 day right of rescission (per Indiana law) has expired...

Old 02-05-2019, 08:43 PM

My guess is they did this because customers were complaining of blowing out their catalytic converters and getting error codes.
The local dealer didn't have a 2019 R convertible in stock, otherwise I would have bought one with them. I ended up buying it from South Carolina sight unseen. Why should I expect Jaguar to neuter my vehicle in the latest model year? If anything, I would have expected them to further tune it to make it sound even better! (hardly possible, but I was hopeful) - To find that it was an extreme about-face from previous models was a major affront and knowing (now) that it's an intentional change from Jaguar made has me really disappointed. I was hoping there was some secret button that I missed that's been added on the latest year...

Old 02-05-2019, 09:12 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I own a MY19 R Coupe, while it is currently put away I had 4500 miles on it from delivery at the end of June until mid November. I haven’t had any of the issues you describe with your current car in terms of the exhaust. While I never owned a previous year for comparison, I did test drive some MY16 prior to placing the order. The “pops and crackles” are easily obtained with my car as you described with your prior car. Maybe give it the break in period? If you look at past threads people do notice a difference after that time frame. Hope it all works out.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pie944
I own a MY19 R Coupe, while it is currently put away I had 4500 miles on it from delivery at the end of June until mid November. I haven’t had any of the issues you describe with your current car in terms of the exhaust. While I never owned a previous year for comparison, I did test drive some MY16 prior to placing the order. The “pops and crackles” are easily obtained with my car as you described with your prior car. Maybe give it the break in period? If you look at past threads people do notice a difference after that time frame. Hope it all works out.
I appreciate the feedback and will give it time (I've got approx 1,100 days left in the lease... LOL) - My previous models sounded great from go with less than 100 miles on each. This one has just over 250 miles on it. I don't think time is the answer though - the extra fuel injected while feathering the throttle just isn't there - Varying how much I feather the throttle just results in a lurching ride...

Old 02-05-2019, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member

Come to think of it, my ‘16 didn’t have much snap/crackle/pop during the gently driven break-in period or even for the first few hundred miles of spirited driving. I believe the ecu has to adapt to an aggressive driving style before the fire works begin.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Come to think of it, my ‘16 didn’t have much snap/crackle/pop during the gently driven break-in period or even for the first few hundred miles of spirited driving. I believe the ecu has to adapt to an aggressive driving style before the fire works begin.
Any way to reset the ECU to "learn" how to handle it's new owner?

Old 02-05-2019, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AtTheJob
Any way to reset the ECU to "learn" how to handle it's new owner?
I’m sure there is through the OBD port, but just driving the crap out the car will recalibrate it over a few hundred miles.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
I didn't want to mess with the electrical components so I plugged the vacuum lines and dash pots for full-time exhaust symphony. Very easy to do and undo. I get plenty of pops and crackles and can modulate them with a feathering of the gas pedal.
Ok I know about the plugged vacuum lines, but what's the dash pots?

Old 02-06-2019, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

I think the OP's car will come around. If you watch videos on YouTube of the 2019 R they all sound as expected to me. This is an ECU adaptation issue most likely. Many have reported a change in overrun sounds after a software flash, but after driving for a bit everything came back to normal.

It was only the very rare instance of that one particular software update that did the burps in for good without a subsequent patch.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:07 PM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm in the exact same boat as AtTheJob. I had leased a 16 R vert and loved all the exhaust fireworks when feathering the throttle on overrun. I wanted a 19 R vert as Jaguar added ventilated seats - a very welcomed feature when driving a convertible with the top down on hot days. The dealer delivered the 19 on a flatbed while picking up the trade in at the same time - a very nice perk considering the nearest dealer is 3.5 hours away. Because of that, I didn't really get to take a test drive - a seemingly dubious task after driving a nearly identical car for the past three years. Anyway, the car is nice but I too am very disappointed at the lack of pops when lifting off the throttle. No, you can't rev it higher to force it to happen. No, it doesn't get better with Dynamic mode selected. No, it doesn't improve after time. No, it doesn't improve after the ECU adapts. No, it doesn't improve after the break in period or the after an accumulation of miles. Trust us, it's different, and not in a good way. While I always appreciate the info I get from other members here, there is also a lot of speculation and conjecture that feels sort of condescending at times (like now). If you KNOW what the problem is and KNOW how to fix it, we're all ears!

Old 02-06-2019, 09:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by M3 Wrath
I'm in the exact same boat as AtTheJob. I had leased a 16 R vert and loved all the exhaust fireworks when feathering the throttle on overrun. I wanted a 19 R vert as Jaguar added ventilated seats - a very welcomed feature when driving a convertible with the top down on hot days. The dealer delivered the 19 on a flatbed while picking up the trade in at the same time - a very nice perk considering the nearest dealer is 3.5 hours away. Because of that, I didn't really get to take a test drive - a seemingly dubious task after driving a nearly identical car for the past three years. Anyway, the car is nice but I too am very disappointed at the lack of pops when lifting off the throttle. No, you can't rev it higher to force it to happen. No, it doesn't get better with Dynamic mode selected. No, it doesn't improve after time. No, it doesn't improve after the ECU adapts. No, it doesn't improve after the break in period or the after an accumulation of miles. Trust us, it's different, and not in a good way. While I always appreciate the info I get from other members here, there is also a lot of speculation and conjecture that feels sort of condescending at times (like now). If you KNOW what the problem is and KNOW how to fix it, we're all ears!
I agree with you!

My Jag dealer ruined my car by uploading the new software without explaining the exhaust noise reduction. The reason is that they did not know about it. They probably don't own Jags, so how could they understand?

The F-Type is reknown for its exhaust note, a car without the original motion picture soundtrack isn't worth much to an informed buyer, IMO. I would not make an offer on an exhaust reduced car, even at half blue book, maybe not at a lot less than half.

I was fortunate enough to have my 2014 patched back to OEM, but only after they denied any problem. I had to run it down and find the solution, then teach them about it. If my car shipped like that, I'd be out of luck and a lot of money.

Thank God enough people complained before I had my problem to get them to generate the 2014-2016 patch. We need to help our 2017+ community get this fixed. Otherwise IMO the F-Type platform as a whole will take a major hit.

This could still happen to me, or anyone, next time our cars are in for service and they run an update for any number of reasons (over my dead body).

Additionally, we need to face the reality that new cars are no longer available with the same raucous personality that we love(d) . This is very disturbing.

This is a major problem that must be addressed by JLR. Its not like these cars are cheap, or the buying demographic doesn't understand exactly what we are buying.

I feel your valid and unanswered frustration.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 02-06-2019 at 09:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
M3 Wrath (02-07-2019)

Quick Reply: Exhaust Lacking on 2019 F-Type R Convertible! Any help?