F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Lacking on 2019 F-Type R Convertible! Any help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Exhaust Lacking on 2019 F-Type R Convertible! Any help?

I just received delivery of my new 2019 F-Type R Convertible a few days ago and while it's gorgeous, I'm incredibly disappointed in the way it sounds. Previously I had a 2015 F-Type V8 S for a year, and I've been driving the 2016 F-Type R Convertible for the last 3 years, so I'm not unfamiliar with these cars. My complaint is the way that the pops, crackles, and firecrackers have been removed from the throttle profile vs previous models. Don't get me wrong, she'll pop occasionally when she wants to, and when I'm more aggressively up-shifting at about 4k rpm, but she just won't perform on command...

I used to be able to rev her up (or downshift) and then lightly feather the throttle to unleash a cacophony of machine-gun-fire with an impressive discord of snaps, crackles, and firecrackers to "advise" neighboring vehicles that I was in the area... Unfortunately, this unpleasantly-quiet 2019 is unwilling to grant hardly any of these joyous sounds and has left me wondering if I'm able to make it through the 3-year lease that I've signed.

I'm praying that someone is able to advise if there is a setting that I've missed, somewhere obscure that allows this to work? Of course, I only drive it in Dynamic mode with the exhaust on, as there's no way I'd ever try to hush something this beautiful... It's unlikely that I've missed a setting, so my next question is whether this can be rectified at a dealer, or if in-fact, the latest vehicles have been neutered of their sound? Any help?

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2019, 04:17 AM
Banned
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by AtTheJob
I just received delivery of my new 2019 F-Type R Convertible a few days ago and while it's gorgeous, I'm incredibly disappointed in the way it sounds. Previously I had a 2015 F-Type V8 S for a year, and I've been driving the 2016 F-Type R Convertible for the last 3 years, so I'm not unfamiliar with these cars. My complaint is the way that the pops, crackles, and firecrackers have been removed from the throttle profile vs previous models. Don't get me wrong, she'll pop occasionally when she wants to, and when I'm more aggressively up-shifting at about 4k rpm, but she just won't perform on command...

I used to be able to rev her up (or downshift) and then lightly feather the throttle to unleash a cacophony of machine-gun-fire with an impressive discord of snaps, crackles, and firecrackers to "advise" neighboring vehicles that I was in the area... Unfortunately, this unpleasantly-quiet 2019 is unwilling to grant hardly any of these joyous sounds and has left me wondering if I'm able to make it through the 3-year lease that I've signed.

I'm praying that someone is able to advise if there is a setting that I've missed, somewhere obscure that allows this to work? Of course, I only drive it in Dynamic mode with the exhaust on, as there's no way I'd ever try to hush something this beautiful... It's unlikely that I've missed a setting, so my next question is whether this can be rectified at a dealer, or if in-fact, the latest vehicles have been neutered of their sound? Any help?

Thanks!
That sucks, sorry to hear. It's the newer software. When my 2014 had a low battery issue, they first, erroneously, loaded the June 2016 software update then gave me the car back as if it was normal!

The dealer was completely clueless what I was furious about, they understandably never owned an F-Type, so how could they know? It was exactly as you describe. Very muted low end noise and maybe one half-pop on an underun below 3500 RPM. It took 5000 RPM± generate underrun pops and crackles then they quieted down quickly. For day to day driving, it wasn't much different than a Toyota Corolla.

I threatened to sue them and waived Jag's own software patch in their face. They reluctantly patched the car. It is back to 90-95% of OEM now.

My understanding is the patch only works on early VINs.

Seems newer Jags have already been ruined by the fun police, as I suspected. All I can suggest is take it back and tell them why. Get a pre-June 2016 built car, listed on the door panel.

Your story is confirmation of my nightmare that a new generation with manginas at Jaguar has already sealed the previously-glorious F-Type's fate. They religiously hate the kinds of Jags we once loved.

I own two F-Types. If it makes you feel any better, I too will never, ever, under any circumstance, buy a new pussified Jag. What a waste!

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 02-05-2019 at 05:01 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:23 AM
Banned

It's also frustrating that they continue to f-up the front end.

Now they've put a horizontal brace where the vertical shark gills once were. Why? It looks stupid. No doubt, it was to assauge their fear of being perceived too mean and aggressive.

I'll bet the infotainment system is upgraded, so they can do what they love: sit still, quietly suckling on some cyber nipple.

Does it have an ipad glued to the dash?

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 02-05-2019 at 05:43 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMLIGHTA

Now they've put a horizontal brace where the vertical shark gills once were. Why? It looks stupid. No doubt, it was to assauge their fear of being perceived too mean and aggressive.

I'll bet the infotainment system is upgraded, so they can do what they love: sit still, quietly suckling on some cyber nipple.

Does it have an ipad glued to the dash?

Old 02-05-2019, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AtTheJob
I just received delivery of my new 2019 F-Type R Convertible a few days ago and while it's gorgeous, I'm incredibly disappointed in the way it sounds.
The car is quieter during very initial break-in miles. Generally, you need to put it into performance/sport mode to have the best sound.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SinF
The car is quieter during very initial break-in miles. Generally, you need to put it into performance/sport mode to have the best sound.
That's not it. Jaguar admits they've done this. JTB00495 was released for customers "complaining of reduced exhaust noise after the application of the June-2016+ software update."

My V8 S had 17000 miles on it when they removed the exaust note without my permission via the June-2016 software update. It makes the Active Exhaust switch about 75% quieter below approx 4500 RPM. Fuse 43 does not help as the issue is not within the exaust system, it is the removal of programed fuel injection on the overrun. This has been a known/intentional problem for a long time, but it only affects those familiar with the original Alpha Male version of the F-Type. See...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...e-pops-189453/

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 02-05-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:36 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Some folks have found that a tune can help with the sound, at least on a V6. Talk to VAP...

Old 02-05-2019, 09:46 AM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

First-world problems.

The following users liked this post:
Mahjik (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 10:06 AM
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Some folks have found that a tune can help with the sound, at least on a V6. Talk to VAP...
yes, it can be tuned in, i have added more to mine, almost has too much. i really have to modulate the throttle just right for it not to pop, but my guess is this is bad for stock cats.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:10 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

I just ordered the remote device the OP posted about. I've been running mostly without F43, because my exhaust valves got squeaky, and the electric vacuum pump can be annoying at times. But for long highway cruises, the drone is a bit much, so I put F43 back in. (Don't need to spend a few grand on a new muffler as the valves can't be replaced.)

Had considered wiring a switch in, but this looks like a good solution.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJS
It would be great if the ECU software could be modified back to the original release, but the chances of that are near nil. Ian Callum explains how much work and high tech testing went into creating the original programmed soundtrack of the F-Type using ECU controlled misfires...

​https://youtu.be/qL0CcmQOr2c

​​​​​​Without patching parts of the actual 2014 software into the 2017± models, a tuner could never recreate the F-Type experience that Ian and crew worked so hard to create. It's criminal that current day Jaguar manginas flushed all that down the crapper.

A better idea is to return the car for the real thing, and let them know exactly how they failed to meet your expectations of what a Jaguar sports car should sound like.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:35 AM
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts

We can get you what you're looking for with our ECU Tuning (as well as some extra ponies), obviously with the usual warranty implications.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 02-05-2019, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Any ECU tune will void engine warranty, I strongly recommend at least waiting past initial break-in period to tune, as initial engine failure would manifest during that period.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:20 PM
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts

Any ECU tune will void engine warranty, I strongly recommend at least waiting past initial break-in period to tune, as initial engine failure would manifest during that period.
Very good advice. We always recommend running a few tanks of fuel through it, to ensure everything was put together correctly and no initial issues (with engine or anything else.)

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 02-05-2019, 01:15 PM
Banned

Its a bad idea to tune a lease car you don't own. Better to return it if it doesn't meet your expectations.

If enough people tell Jaguar we actually liked the original F-Type's sound (DUH!!!) and won't accept a neutered cat when we paid for a virile male, there is a 1 in a million chance they will come to their senses.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 02-05-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

I saw a post some time ago where all new cars have the exhaust levels now reduced to confirm to new regulations, not sure on removing the exhaust fuse on the newer models to leave the valves open, I did this on my 2018 and it went to limp mode, fuse back in and back to normal. I would be really pissed off if i had an older model with a better noise than a new one.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by powerhouse
I saw a post some time ago where all new cars have the exhaust levels now reduced to confirm to new regulations, not sure on removing the exhaust fuse on the newer models to leave the valves open, I did this on my 2018 and it went to limp mode, fuse back in and back to normal.
I tried pulling the fuse when they ruined my 2014 V8 S. No help. My 2016 V6 S is correct. Fortunately there is a software patch for F-Types that were sold with a proper exhaust note.
I would be really pissed off if i had an older model with a better noise than a new one.
No question, I would have sued them blind if they didn't restore mine to as sold. I let them know that with absolute certainty.

OP thanks for confirming this info. It is critical to the valuation of various F-Type models. My suspicion is the 2017+ cars are going to take a massive hit if the dealers can't fix them. I know I wouldn't even consider paying half price for one like mine while it was neutered.

This is very disappointing news.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 02-05-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:23 PM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse
I saw a post some time ago where all new cars have the exhaust levels now reduced to confirm to new regulations, not sure on removing the exhaust fuse on the newer models to leave the valves open, I did this on my 2018 and it went to limp mode, fuse back in and back to normal. I would be really pissed off if i had an older model with a better noise than a new one.
I didn't want to mess with the electrical components so I plugged the vacuum lines and dash pots for full-time exhaust symphony. Very easy to do and undo. I get plenty of pops and crackles and can modulate them with a feathering of the gas pedal.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:05 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Didn't you test drive the 2019? If so, I would think you would've recognized the muted exhaust.

My guess is they did this because customers were complaining of blowing out their catalytic converters and getting error codes.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:11 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMLIGHTA

I would not buy one for that very reason, unless they fit a bumper cover with the shark gills on it.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Lacking on 2019 F-Type R Convertible! Any help?