F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Lacking on 2019 F-Type R Convertible! Any help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 07:04 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

i had an inkling jag were going to do this sooner or later

even back in 15/16 i was surprised they were able to get such a loud car to meet EU drive by noise testing etc

this is another reason i changed my mind and decided not to tune the car, i'm so happy with how the car sounds i don't want to do anything that could effect it -i also won't be going back to the dealer either now it seems

the day will come, if not already, where buyers will actively seek the better sounding year models, and there will form a somewhat cult status around them

in same vain, i had an RS3 which cracked on downshift, and on the facelift Audi removed that coding completely

shout out (literally) to the last of the 16s

Last edited by domino_z; 02-12-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by domino_z
shout out (literally) to the last of the 16s

https://youtu.be/wsOp2lErgfI
Ahhh... Those sounds just aren't possible to coax out of the 19MY...

Old 02-13-2019, 08:33 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

So... I have a 2014 V8S and was originally impacted when they released K309 a few years ago, pops and crackles disappeared. They subsequently applied an updated K309 a short while later that restored the full soundtrack.

Fast forward to late last year, they updated my car to the latest software revisions during a service visit. I took the car out tonight and realized I have lost all pops and crackles again, it’s exactly the same as the original K309 issue.

Going to take it back with a copy of the worksheet from the K309 v2 and see what they say.

I have a sinking feeling the latest software is doing this by design in response to potential trouble from US regulators and they will say they can’t do anything to roll it back. The K309 v2 is pretty old now and I am sure they won’t apply it.

The following users liked this post:
andykreb (03-31-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,122 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
So... I have a 2014 V8S and was originally impacted when they released K309 a few years ago, pops and crackles disappeared. They subsequently applied an updated K309 a short while later that restored the full soundtrack.

Fast forward to late last year, they updated my car to the latest software revisions during a service visit. I took the car out tonight and realized I have lost all pops and crackles again, it’s exactly the same as the original K309 issue.

Going to take it back with a copy of the worksheet from the K309 v2 and see what they say.

I have a sinking feeling the latest software is doing this by design in response to potential trouble from US regulators and they will say they can’t do anything to roll it back. The K309 v2 is pretty old now and I am sure they won’t apply it.
Another reason why I won't be taking my F-Type within cooee of a dealer workshop!

Old 02-13-2019, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

I went to the dealership and drove a MY19 R today simply because of this thread. Lifting off the throttle above 3k rpm reliably produced crackles, in any driving mode, and they seemed to be more prevalent in dynamic....just like in my 2017. Maybe there is a programmed difference from 2015 to now, but it's certainly not different than 2017, and it certainly can't be described as "completely removed"

Old 02-14-2019, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Nati
I went to the dealership and drove a MY19 R today simply because of this thread. Lifting off the throttle above 3k rpm reliably produced crackles, in any driving mode, and they seemed to be more prevalent in dynamic....just like in my 2017. Maybe there is a programmed difference from 2015 to now, but it's certainly not different than 2017, and it certainly can't be described as "completely removed"
Sure - there are crackles - but not the excessive machine gun fire/firecracker sound that you used to be able to coax out of the previous model years. It's changed - It's a totally different car than previous years, and it's truly disappointing.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AtTheJob
Sure - there are crackles - but not the excessive machine gun fire/firecracker sound that you used to be able to coax out of the previous model years. It's changed - It's a totally different car than previous years, and it's truly disappointing.
I don't believe I ever saw an answer to how many miles are on your car

Old 02-14-2019, 05:51 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

I guess that’s the issue - previous behavior is cracks and pops can be produced from anywhere in the rev range - even lightly accelerating on minimal throttle openings to 1500 / 2000 rpm and lifting off resulted in ridiculous amounts of pops and cracks. I agree they haven’t been completely removed but now you have to - as you say - accelerate high up through the rev range to make it happen.

This is is identical to the effect of the original K309. Mileage doesn’t change anything. As soon as they applied K309 v2 to my car the last time it happened previous behavior was instantly restored, no break in period or re-learning to do.

The latest software has regressed to the more muted sound track where pops and cracks do happen but have to be coaxed out of the car versus happening all the time anywhere in the rev range with any type of throttle input

Old 02-14-2019, 10:23 AM

I don't believe I ever saw an answer to how many miles are on your car
I've got over 400 miles now... But my last cars had less than 100 and they both worked as "intended" by the designers...

Old 03-31-2019, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

I just took delivery on a 2020 R and wanted to come back to this thread to say I am not disappointed at all with how it sounds. The thing burbles and pops like a sumbitch. 200% more than my 2017 V6S that I just returned.

The following users liked this post:
KarimEls (04-01-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 08:15 AM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

I just took delivery on a 2020 R and wanted to come back to this thread to say I am not disappointed at all with how it sounds. The thing burbles and pops like a sumbitch. 200% more than my 2017 V6S that I just returned.
But how is it compared to how a 2015 R was?

Old 03-31-2019, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vika01
But how is it compared to how a 2015 R was?
Never owned one but have driven in a pack with several over the years; again I can't say I'm disappointed, or that I even notice a difference. Perhaps someone that owned an older model would notice a difference.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:27 AM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Never owned one but have driven in a pack with several over the years; again I can't say I'm disappointed, or that I even notice a difference. Perhaps someone that owned an older model would notice a difference.
there is a 2019 model I am interested in but only if it’s as loud as the R has always been.

https://m.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/detail...r=false&vc=Car

Old 03-31-2019, 09:43 AM
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Nati, that is good to hear that the sound is still there. If some is lost below 3000 rpm but the same above I am good with that for I only need the extra sound when I am driving aggressively. My 2020 is slated to arrive in July and I would be very disappointed if it was muted.

like you I’ve moved from the 6 so really looking forward to the torque and sound.

So where are the pics??

Old 03-31-2019, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fjmviper
Nati, that is good to hear that the sound is still there. If some is lost below 3000 rpm but the same above I am good with that for I only need the extra sound when I am driving aggressively. My 2020 is slated to arrive in July and I would be very disappointed if it was muted.

like you I’ve moved from the 6 so really looking forward to the torque and sound.

So where are the pics??
Not photo worthy yet - I wouldn't let them touch it when it came off the truck so it's covered in glue from the wrap. Plus it was a downpour when I brought it home. I'll get some pics in the photo thread once it's pretty.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

Not photo worthy yet - I wouldn't let them touch it when it came off the truck so it's covered in glue from the wrap. Plus it was a downpour when I brought it home. I'll get some pics in the photo thread once it's pretty.
Gee, I dunno. Those stills you sent me yesterday as well as the video of start up looked pretty great to me! (The only thing missing was a picture of your lovely wife.)

CONGRATULATIONS Nati!

Last edited by RickyJay52; 03-31-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:27 PM

I just wanted to follow up on this thread to let people know what's up. I tried doing a tune with VelocityAP - but they weren't able to make it happen. While going through this process I found out that they hadn't actually gotten pops/cracks to work on the 19 MY year yet and I was advised of this after I already had the tuner in my possession. The protocol on the tuner that they sent me wouldn't communicate with the car properly. I was able to upload the file for them, but was never able to flash it. After spending a couple weeks trying various things, it was decided that it's best to give up for now as the only other options were to send the ECU to them, or visit a dealer over 150 miles away. Given that they couldn't guarantee that the pops/cracks would work on the first try, this wasn't a viable option. If anyone else is aware of tuners that have successfully achieved this on the 19MY, please let me know.

Thanks

Old 07-27-2019, 01:40 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AtTheJob
I just wanted to follow up on this thread to let people know what's up. I tried doing a tune with VelocityAP - but they weren't able to make it happen. While going through this process I found out that they hadn't actually gotten pops/cracks to work on the 19 MY year yet and I was advised of this after I already had the tuner in my possession. The protocol on the tuner that they sent me wouldn't communicate with the car properly. I was able to upload the file for them, but was never able to flash it. After spending a couple weeks trying various things, it was decided that it's best to give up for now as the only other options were to send the ECU to them, or visit a dealer over 150 miles away. Given that they couldn't guarantee that the pops/cracks would work on the first try, this wasn't a viable option. If anyone else is aware of tuners that have successfully achieved this on the 19MY, please let me know.

Thanks
I am sorry the tune did not work out

How many miles have you put on? Last post you only
had 400?I also have a MY19 R, I just broke 8,000 miles. It was never muted, put away as noted above for the winter around 4,500 miles. I did follow the break in period rule and kept it out of dynamic during this period to avoid any accidental bump in the RPMs. Furthermore, I noticed after 6-7k miles it’s better than ever from an exhaust stand point. This includes after the first year maintenance visit.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I wonder if Jaguar figure out how to block flashing on the MY 19+ models. If so, I’m sure somebody will eventually figure out how to hack into the ECU. Even if the dealer can do it, I’m certain they won’t be willing to do it.

Old 07-27-2019, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pie944
How many miles have you put on?
I've got over 6k miles on it now... It sounds good - don't get me wrong, but the excessive pops and cracks it used to have never materialized. I can get, at most, 3 cracks in 1st gear when quickly lifting off the throttle. 2 pops at any other gear above that, and it's hard to get them repeatedly. The road that my office is on, I'll typically be in 3rd gear at about 3500RPM when lifting off, and most days I get nothing - This is a far cry from my 16 and 15MY's. The machine-gun, explosive backfire is gone. The occasional 1 or 2 cracks and pops sound great. But don't get me wrong. I compare this to my previous two F-Types which used to sound effing amazing!

Quick Reply: Exhaust Lacking on 2019 F-Type R Convertible! Any help?