F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with Carmax Warranty?

Old 03-20-2019, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience with Carmax Warranty?

Hello All,

First post! I am in the process of purchasing a 2015 F-type from Carmax. It is the base 340hp convertible with ~40k miles, single owner. I had the car shipped last week and will probably get to test-drive/close the deal early next week. I have read a lot about the value of exotic cars + CarMax warranty (especially on Jalopnik: https://jalopnik.com/my-steering-whe...rma-1740279128)

So my question, before I sign the paperwork to bring this baby home, does anyone here have experience related to the F-type and the CarMax warranty? Does it cover the problems you normally see in this model? This warranty does not cover basic maintenance so what is a standard oil change costing in this model? I live in NC.

thanks!

Old 03-20-2019, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I think you are about to make a huge mistake and buy car sight unseen. THIS IS VERY RISKY no matter what warranty you get. Get PPI and visually inspect and take delivery of a car in person. PPI fee and a plane ticket costs a lot less than getting a lemon, even if fixes end up being covered.

F-type is very sensitive to oil quality issues, you have to meet or exceed oil changes or risk issues with hydraulically controlled variable timing components. Once you take possession of your 2015 I recommend doing following: engine oil and filter (and run oil analysis on old fluid), transmission fluid and filter, brake fluid and service brakes, cabin and intake filters.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SinF,

Thanks for the heads up. I only had to pay a nominal fee to have the car shipped to my nearest CarMax location. I do not have any obligation to buy. I will definatley test drive the vehicle before buying. In terms of PPI, I guess this is an issue. I did not intend to get an inspection since any problems would be covered by the warranty. CarMax has a 7 day, 100% money back return policy so I guess I could get an inspection during that 7 day period.
Obviously the quality of the warranty itself is the question, so hopefully someone on the site will have had experience with that.

Otherwise, has basic maintenance with your F-type been significantly more often and/or expensive than other cars you've owned?

Old 03-20-2019, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

Other comparable cars (i.e. 100K+) no, a bit cheaper. Other cars in general sense, yes.

You are buying top of the line Jaguar that was originally a very expensive car. You need to shape your expectations accordingly.

The following users liked this post:
Mahoney79 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 02:51 PM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

I am coming up on my first for me service on my 2015 V6. Which will be the 4 year service that is oil change and new air filters. Dealer quote is 700. Local indi shop 260. If I order the filters and oil, I can do it myself for about 150

Old 03-20-2019, 02:59 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Folks here pointed out that the air filters are more mileage-dependent, not time, so I haven't changed mine yet. I may finally change mine this year at 6 years/50,000 miles (along with spark plugs, etc.)

OzXFR (I believe it was) has posted directions on an easier way of changing the filters from the bottom, though a lift would be helpful.

You might also check the service records for your car - brake flush is recommended every 3 years.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Folks here pointed out that the air filters are more mileage-dependent, not time, so I haven't changed mine yet. I may finally change mine this year at 6 years/50,000 miles (along with spark plugs, etc.)

OzXFR (I believe it was) has posted directions on an easier way of changing the filters from the bottom, though a lift would be helpful.

You might also check the service records for your car - brake flush is recommended every 3 years.
Yep, change the air filters from the bottom, I did mine 2 months ago, it's fairly straightforward, the only hassle is you have to remove the plastic front under-tray first and that means around 30 bolts and screws! While you are under there with the under-tray removed you might as well remove the second under-tray (only 4 bolts/nuts) which covers the sump plug and do an oil change, plus oil filter. Lots of threads and posts around here about DIY oil changes and what oil to use.
I changed the air filters smack on four years from when the car first hit the road (and around 35,000 miles) and they were pretty clean really and would easily have gone at least another two years without any problems.
I'm with DJS on the spark plug change, not needed for at least 6 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first, I will change mine in 2 years time, but it's a difficult job and I reckon I will get a workshop to do it.
All the parts and fluids you need for DIY servicing are reasonably cheap, a bit more than more "mundane" cars but not a lot, and you can save squillions compared to what a dealership will charge you both on parts and labour.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

If you use BMC filters when you replace them you get a bit more engine noise and supercharger whine through to the cabin. It is noticeable enough until about 3500rpm and then really noticeable approaching redline (not that I have done that often), I thought worth the effort.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member

Don't neglect coolant and brake fluid changes - these fluids degrade and result in internal damage. Coolant gets acidic and starts attacking all gaskets it comes in contact with. Brake fluid absorbs water and starts corroding lines and pistons from the inside.

Last but not least - transmission fluid and filter. Don't neglect it.