XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Purchasing a Jaguar from Carmax....The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Old 09-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 345 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Purchasing a Jaguar from Carmax....The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Situation: 2012 XKR Ultimate Black with Black Pack and Piano Black Veneer. Original XKR seats. This is a review of my experience with the used car sales business: CarMax

The Good: Car was in Maryland and transferred for 399 dollars. I was able to use my credit card for that transfer and get the "points". The car came in time they stated. The car is mechanically sound per my jaguar dealership - engine, brakes, electronics - they all check out.

The Bad: 2 front tires had to be replaced despite CarMax stating they were fine. The left front wheel was slightly bent and had to be correct. CarMax stated that they checked the tired depth twice. They might have, but with the XK my dealership told me the tires wear from the inside out. They do NOT understand Jags. Cost 1700 dollars

The Ugly: at the time I bought the car I only spotted the left front splitter was not flush to the body. I told them i would take it to a repair shop and let them know. The body shop found a problem with the left and right part of the splitter including road rash, a quarter sized dent in the left door, and the spoiler was bent. Cost to repair 3007 dollars.

THE UGLIEST: CarMax will not refund any of this because I had the repairs done immediatley and not crosschecked by them and then given them the oppertunity to fix the car. Understandable from their point of view: see below

What to DO: If you purchase a car from carmax do so with cash only. Take the Jaguar to dealership and pay the 150 dollar check. IF they find ANYTHING wrong. Take it back within 5 days and return the car for full refund. Tell them after refund you returned it do to THIS: give them list of exactly whats wrong. Tell them to CALL YOU when its fixed. Allow them to fix it or call you when that is done if they still want to see you the car. Buy car and take back to Jaguar to make sure fixed within specifications. If not - return car again for full refund again and WALK AWAY.

What NOT to DO: What I did. Fall in love with car, get it fixed, then tell Mr. Carmax that the car they guaranteed for a month had problems and the manufacter licensed dealership fixed it to specification. The response will be and I quote: "We have the right to inspect the car after the findings to verify". Remember - they offer a after-market warranty basically....

What you REALLY SHOULD DO: Buy a new Jaguar.... This is my fault for believing that CarMax would accept the dealers findings as documented evidence and go from there. Lesson learned!!

Loth

edited to remove statements made in anger and to reflect new found knowledge and understanding.

Last edited by Lothar52; 09-26-2013 at 09:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (09-26-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
Situation: 2012 XKR Ultimate Black with Black Pack and Piano Black Veneer. Original XKR seats. This is a review of my experience with the used car sales business: CarMax

The Good: Car was in Maryland and transferred for 399 dollars. I was able to use my credit card for that transfer and get the "points". The car came in time they stated. The car is mechanically sound per my jaguar dealership - engine, brakes, electronics - they all check out.

The Bad: 2 front tires had to be replaced despite CarMax stating they were fine. The left front wheel was slightly bent and had to be correct. CarMax stated that they checked the tired depth twice. They might have, but with the XK my dealership told me the tires wear from the inside out. They do NOT understand Jags. Cost 1700 dollars

The Ugly: at the time I bought the car I only spotted the left front splitter was not flush to the body. I told them i would take it to a repair shop and let them know. The body shop found a problem with the left and right part of the splitter including road rash, a quarter sized dent in the left door, and the spoiler was bent. Cost to repair 3007 dollars.

THE UGLIEST: CarMax will not refund any of this because I had the work done by Jaguar and the Jaguar authorized body shop - They needed to verify and go from there.... I did not get to the step afterwards where they likely would want some cheapo repair shot doing the repairs....see below:

What to DO: If you purchase a car from carmax do so with cash only. Take the Jaguar to dealership and pay the 150 dollar check. IF they find ANYTHING wrong. Take it back within 5 days and return the car for full refund. Tell them after refund you returned it do to THIS: give them list of exactly whats wrong. Tell them to CALL YOU when its fixed. Allow them to fix it or call you when that is done if they still want to see you the car. Buy car and take back to Jaguar to make sure fixed within specifications. If not - return car again for full refund again and WALK AWAY.

What NOT to DO: What I did. Fall in love with car, get it fixed, then tell Mr. Carmax that the car they guaranteed for a month had problems and the manufacter licensed dealership fixed it to specification. The response will be and I quote: "We have the right to inspect the car after the findings to verify". Remember - they offer a substandard after market warranty....they also will likely try and fix it with sub-standard parts if they are this money hungry - though my statement is not admissable as evidence because I had it fixed by who I wanted to have it fixed - immediately.

What you REALLY SHOULD DO: Buy a new Jaguar.... This is my fault for believing that CarMax would accept the dealers findings as documented evidence and go from there. Honestly I did not want to have them even TOUCH the car... I doubt they know ANYTHING they are doing with such a car. PEROID.

Loth

Carmax is the walmart of used cars... hope you got a good deal?

Old 09-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I don't see why Carmax should refund you the money if you got the work done somewhere else before allowing them to verify the damages.

And it's not like Carmax is the only one screwing people. My local Jaguar dealership in Tysons Corner screwed me by not believing me every time I brought the XKR in for service under Select Edition Warranty. Eventually I had to have a local non-Jaguar shop replace my right rear axle for $1200, which solved my problem completely, and would most definitely have been covered under warranty as it is a drivetrain item. I feel cheated, but I'm not going back to Jaguar to ask for a reimbursement, since I didn't notify them of the pending repair before actually having it done, and I just wanted it done without having to deal with the horrendous dealership.

Frankly, I wouldn't trust my Jaguar dealership's assessment of the tires any more than I would trust Carmax. They're both in it for your MONEY. So is the body shop.

Even though I do my damndest, I've never actually bought a used car that was as perfect as a new one. They ALL have minor niggles of some kind. I always end up spending a couple grand getting things up to snuff. That's just the price of being a persnickety car buyer and enthusiast!

Old 09-25-2013, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I always look at it as "buyer beware". Regardless if it is a dealer or a used car lot you need to check out as much as you can before you buy. If I was unfamiliar with the brand I would bring someone who was at the time of inspecting/test driving it. Unless you hire a broker to find you a care and assurance from them that the car is in the condition you want what you get is what you get. When I plan to spend $50-$100K for a car I will take a plane , train or bus ride to personally go over the car. Even then you can still get stuck but it was you that made the decision. I also don't trust carfax but use it as part of the search information. The most important concern is if it were in an accident or a flood car. The only way to verify that is to look at it yourself if you know what to look for. Good luck

Old 09-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

That's frustrating, certainly, but not an unforeseen hiccup. Consider pleading your case in small claims court. No attorneys, just you and the local dealership manager/assistant manager. The judge can decide if your actions were reasonable (regardless of the fine print in your contract--that's the beauty of being a judge) based on your assumptions about the good-faith of CarMax, and order a full (or probably partial) reimbursement.

Although I haven't used this process myself, I've seen a friend use it when he felt he was unfairly penalized for violating the letter, but not intent, of his rental contract. The judge ordered the landlord to split the difference.

Lothar52 (09-26-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Lothar52:

I am a bit confused. From your previous posts, I thought you paid the $399 to have the car shipped to another CarMax dealer via transfer, then have it inspected by the local Jag dealer BEFORE you were going to actually buy the car.

Sounds like you bought the car, paid for the transport from Maryland then had it inspected and repaired. If this is the case, I don't think CarMax owes you anything. You had the car repaired by your own service people that you selected.

Perhaps you can provide us with the exact way you purchased the car. I thought CarMax would not just ship cars to other CarMax locations on the pretense that someone might buy a car.

I am confused.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:45 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
Lothar52:

I am a bit confused. From your previous posts, I thought you paid the $399 to have the car shipped to another CarMax dealer via transfer, then have it inspected by the local Jag dealer BEFORE you were going to actually buy the car.

Sounds like you bought the car, paid for the transport from Maryland then had it inspected and repaired. If this is the case, I don't think CarMax owes you anything. You had the car repaired by your own service people that you selected.

Perhaps you can provide us with the exact way you purchased the car. I thought CarMax would not just ship cars to other CarMax locations on the pretense that someone might buy a car.

I am confused.
Carmax will ship the car for you to look at for a fee. If you buy the car; that fee goes towards the purchase price.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

This is my fault for believing that CarMax would accept the dealers findings as documented evidence and go from there.

I'm sympathetic to your dilemma but, yeah, you're right .

Let's be realistic. It would be a very rare thing for a seller (of anything, not just cars) to "pay up" under these circumstances.

Someone here mentioned small claims court. I've been to SC Court many times. Every judge (in my experience) has the expectation that the buyer make at least one attempt to work with the seller *before* having any corrective repairs done elsewhere. The seller is entitled to evaluate the problems and possible fixes and deserves at least a chance to make things right.

You have to go thru the motions, as they say.

Cheers
DD

Muddydog (09-28-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

Carmax did not add the price to the purchase price of my car. They said it was a stand alone fee?!?!?!

Carmax did not allow me to take it to the jaguar dealership before purchasing the car. I took a test drive and walked around the car and thought the damage seen was minimal and ride was excellent. They said if there are problems and you dont want the car bring it back within 5 days for full refund. WHAT TO DO: Return it for full refund within those 5 days. Pay cash...that way your not dealing with bank loans (unlike what i did). Dont start fixing small things and then "other" things get found and now your on the hook for having those things fixed etc etc.

The following 2 users liked this post by Lothar52:
amcdonal86 (09-26-2013), Stuart Beattie (09-26-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member

Yes you guys are correct! This was my doing...just BE AWARE...and take the car back immediately. Carmax did not do any "wrong".

Rich. Carmax said they will transport the car - i pay 399. No obligation to buy once there. They simply have the car at that carmax location going forward to sell.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Muddydog
That's frustrating, certainly, but not an unforeseen hiccup. Consider pleading your case in small claims court. No attorneys, just you and the local dealership manager/assistant manager. The judge can decide if your actions were reasonable (regardless of the fine print in your contract--that's the beauty of being a judge) based on your assumptions about the good-faith of CarMax, and order a full (or probably partial) reimbursement.

Although I haven't used this process myself, I've seen a friend use it when he felt he was unfairly penalized for violating the letter, but not intent, of his rental contract. The judge ordered the landlord to split the difference.
I appreciate your post brother...That will not go anywhere though as I had started the repair process and only contacted the used car dealership when the bill started to add up...best to just give it back with a list of whats wrong. LESSONED LEARNED.

Loth

Old 09-26-2013, 11:22 AM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Any dealer would have the same issue, as they simply get cars on trade, then park them on the sale lot... they're in in for the money and not the love of cars, for sure!

How did paying with a loan (VS paying cash) complicate the process? I would think that as long as you bring the car back within the 5 days, that the bank would get it's money back.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Feathers
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Any dealer would have the same issue, as they simply get cars on trade, then park them on the sale lot... they're in in for the money and not the love of cars, for sure!

How did paying with a loan (VS paying cash) complicate the process? I would think that as long as you bring the car back within the 5 days, that the bank would get it's money back.
I would imagine this to be the case as well. Plus any interest accrued in those 5 days...

Old 09-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I would imagine this to be the case as well. Plus any interest accrued in those 5 days...
Thats what I am referring to. Get the loan and closing it out..paying penalty or not, paying 5 days interest etc. Just a hassle.

THE CAR IS AWESOME... Once i get it all fixed up I will post pics.

Loth

Old 09-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Thats what I am referring to. Get the loan and closing it out..paying penalty or not, paying 5 days interest etc. Just a hassle.

THE CAR IS AWESOME... Once i get it all fixed up I will post pics.

Loth
Keep the car. Enjoy it as much as possible. Chalk it up to a lesson learned. Keep the car for along time, and the repairs will be amortized over a long period of time, and a year from now it won't make a difference.

The Jaguars are beautiful cars. Overall you did good, and it was wise to have the Jaguar dealership make the repairs.

Just from your experience alone, I learned allot about dealing with Carmax.

Thanks for keeping us informed and sharing your experience. I am sure we have all learned something from you.

Enjoy the ride, post a few pics.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Yes you guys are correct! This was my doing...just BE AWARE...and take the car back immediately. Carmax did not do any "wrong".

Rich. Carmax said they will transport the car - i pay 399. No obligation to buy once there. They simply have the car at that carmax location going forward to sell.
I feel sorry for you.
thanks for letting us know, its probably something they do on a daily basis. they know new owners like to check repair the car very fast and abuse you this way, for the tires too, its a real shame, but what to expect from huge company like this...??? I will have done the exact same myself.

You maybe in huge danger keeping their bullshit tires too so no way to wait. think about your safety and forget these people.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

I agree.. The tires are fixed and all is good... It's a amazing DD!!