F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type investment value

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Type investment value

I just joined this forum and don't own an F-Type (yet!) but am looking for a stablemate for the 06 Porsche C4S (or perhaps complete replacement). I really am focusing in on a 14-17 V6 S Coupe (non-AWD) and keep the 911, or sell it and go for an R-model coupe (2016+) with AWD as I really don't want to kill myself in this beast. Having said all that (and I'm not buying for at least 3 months but more likely next year), I'm curious what you all think about the value of these cars in 10-20 years from now. I can see these becoming collector cars of sorts (or at least holding their value or depreciating very little after initial drop). How many of these were made?

Old 04-01-2019, 06:22 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

They are not an investment vehicle. Try stocks, bonds, maybe real estate.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Even a well used E-Type hasn’t appreciated much over 50 years (uninflated basis) . The Dow has done much better.

The following users liked this post:
jcb-memphis (03-24-2023)
Old 04-01-2019, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

You will lose your shirt if you treat F-type as investment. It may be collectible one day, but to buy one well you will have to wait until nobody wants one and then buy the best example around from some estate sale. This unlikely to happen before 2029, they are still too new and nowhere near finished depreciating.

Look at early 2000s cars for potential investments. Maybe Honda 2000 or 5th Gen Prelude, maybe bug-eye WRX, maybe Mercedes SL500 R129 (pre-2003), maybe 2nd gen Ford SHO with a manual gearbox. That era M3s and M5s already appreciated, so too late to get in. 911s are frothy.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I may be reading into the question, but I think he may mean when does the F type depreciation curve flatten and possibly keep up with inflation.

He he has an 06 911, suspect that it stopped depreciating 6 years ago. It’s nice to buy a fun car, drive on the weekends, and still be able to tell your wife you made 2,000 on the car (just don’t let her look at maintenance records and registration/insurance paid).

Otherwise, there is not much investment value over the long term with many vehicles, certainly not one produced in the numbers the F Type was.

Personally, I’m curious as well with regard to flat depreciation. This is not a Porsche 911, but will the F type stabilize or will they be plentiful for $5000 bucks in 10 years?

The following 2 users liked this post by Dan Wink:
dascar (04-02-2019), jcb-memphis (03-24-2023)
Old 04-01-2019, 08:18 PM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dascar
I just joined this forum and don't own an F-Type (yet!) but am looking for a stablemate for the 06 Porsche C4S (or perhaps complete replacement). I really am focusing in on a 14-17 V6 S Coupe (non-AWD) and keep the 911, or sell it and go for an R-model coupe (2016+) with AWD as I really don't want to kill myself in this beast. Having said all that (and I'm not buying for at least 3 months but more likely next year), I'm curious what you all think about the value of these cars in 10-20 years from now. I can see these becoming collector cars of sorts (or at least holding their value or depreciating very little after initial drop). How many of these were made?
I am curious about the value of any V8 in 20 years since everything will be all electric by then in the new car market.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:30 PM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

With the F-Type, the only investment is in fun and smiles. Other than that, consider it a cost center.

jcb-memphis (03-24-2023)
Old 04-01-2019, 09:12 PM
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Cars today are full of electronics, unlike cars built 20-30 years ago. After say, 15 years, the microprocessors that keep the whole thing running will die. IMHO, unless you are ready to build chips in your spare time, your F-Type and other cars of this generation will be worthless (unless you keep them for show and do not drive them).

Old 04-01-2019, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Brock
Cars today are full of electronics, unlike cars built 20-30 years ago. After say, 15 years, the microprocessors that keep the whole thing running will die. IMHO, unless you are ready to build chips in your spare time, your F-Type and other cars of this generation will be worthless (unless you keep them for show and do not drive them).
It's easier to replace a motherboard than a fuel injector.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
It's easier to drive the **** out of it than either. The likelihood that I'll live long enough to see my car worth more than I paid is negligible. My MV was the fastest production motorcycle in the world for something like five years running and they made 350 (?) but it's yesterday's news. Of course, I rode the **** out of it, so no help there. I put 27,000 miles on it in less than three years. It's predecessor was a 750 that I put 27,000 miles on in just two years. I met the engine designer and he actually wanted to talk to me. That's cool. Way cool.

Vehicles as investments is not a good idea unless they've already achieved investment status.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:09 AM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Good point. It's getting to the point of scary how much electronics are in modern vehicles, especially high end luxury models. Now they're incorporating artifical intelligence.

Originally Posted by lizzardo
It's easier to drive the **** out of it than either. The likelihood that I'll live long enough to see my car worth more than I paid is negligible. My MV was the fastest production motorcycle in the world for something like five years running and they made 350 (?) but it's yesterday's news. Of course, I rode the **** out of it, so no help there. I put 27,000 miles on it in less than three years. It's predecessor was a 750 that I put 27,000 miles on in just two years. I met the engine designer and he actually wanted to talk to me. That's cool. Way cool.

Vehicles as investments is not a good idea unless they've already achieved investment status.
Certain motorcycles from the 90's started appreciating. Like the original CBR900rr Fireblade. Look at what RC45's are going for. Granted the key is minty or excellent condition bikes. Paint jobs and distasteful mods in general will kill any chance of a motorcycle appreciating. This is far more harmful than high mileage.

Once anything has achieved investment status then you've waited too long. My dad told me that in the 70's and early 80's E Types were just unloved and cheap used cars. He said he regrets not buying several of them then and holding on to them.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:38 AM
Received 139 Likes on 76 Posts

I didn't think of this as an investment. The thought never even occurred to me. All I thought was " COOLEST CAR EVER, MUST GET" 😉

That being said, I'm glad I managed to scoop up a nice spec manual. The market wasn't exactly overflowing with them in the time that I was monitoring.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I think it is going to be difficult to predict the future of collector cars. I'm shocked at what the prices of some America cars are bringing at auction that I rode around in and took for granted as a teenager. It took 30-40 years. If we are in an all electric type environment in say 10 years, the gas engine vehicles, you would this would speed up appreciation and would be more collectible. The one thing the F type has going for it is design style. As Unhinged pointed out though, even the E type hasn't appreciated as much as one would think given it's design merits. Given the restraints being put on speed and pollution, we may not even be allowed to drive them. Don't forgot the just past administration in the USA tried to eliminate you modifying your oem car. As others have said, I don't think investment is the best option for f types at this point, but I plan I keeping mine and pass it on to my son, because I enjoy it and he is of like mind. That's an investment in the future.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:21 AM
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Nati
I trust that you are right... I have never opened the hood of my F-type, and have no idea what a fuel injector does. But my point is that a spare fuel injector built today will still be usable in 2040 for a collector to fix his car, whereas the electronics on a motherboard built today will no longer work in 2040... and by then, nobody will know / want to build a replacement 2019 F-type motherboard.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

After say, 15 years, the microprocessors that keep the whole thing running will die.
This is not quite correct, so situation isn't that dire. CPUs don't tend to fail unless severely overheated (think engine heads warping), what typically fails is capacitors, soldering, and wiring. So it is quite possible to rebuild various control units without needing to replace no longer available CPUs.

Personally, I had multiple 90s era car controllers rebuilt. Due to miniaturization it will be harder to rebuild modern ones, but not impossible. All our modern electronics are disposable not because it is impossible to fix them, but because it isn't economical to do so.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:53 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
This is not quite correct, so situation isn't that dire. CPUs don't tend to fail unless severely overheated (think engine heads warping), what typically fails is capacitors, soldering, and wiring. So it is quite possible to rebuild various control units without needing to replace no longer available CPUs.

Personally, I had multiple 90s era car controllers rebuilt. Due to miniaturization it will be harder to rebuild modern ones, but not impossible. All our modern electronics are disposable not because it is impossible to fix them, but because it isn't economical to do so.
I would agree completely, my 93 XJS had numerous microcontroller based systems for fuel injection, ignition, transmission controller, all were working fine 25 years after manufacture and would have been repairable.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:13 PM
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
They are not an investment vehicle. Try stocks, bonds, maybe real estate.
+ 10000000
couldn’t agree more

Old 04-02-2019, 12:19 PM

Not an investment but life’s too short to drive slow cars and drink cheap wine so go for it !

dascar (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by mv007F
Not an investment but life’s too short to drive slow cars and drink cheap wine so go for it !
Good point. Heading home soon for a good bottle of wine.

dascar (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Good point. Heading home soon for a good bottle of wine.
Try this if you haven’t, you won’t regretted

Quick Reply: F-Type investment value