F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-type phone holder

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 07:17 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rickw
I am using this https://www.proclipusa.com/product/8...-console-mount with a modified mount from Aukey that has the magnet. I would take a picture but it is in the shop righ tnow.
I like it. Looked at the site and they have they charger too. Ty

Old 03-04-2018, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I prefer my phone more at eye level.

https://www.imagnetmount.com/ Suction mount to dash, magnet mount to phone.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
kurtomatic (03-04-2018), Magical (03-13-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 11:46 AM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I prefer my phone more at eye level.

https://www.imagnetmount.com/ Suction mount to dash, magnet mount to phone.
Agreed - To not put the phone at eye level would be a disservice to other drivers as well as yourself ...

The following users liked this post:
Magical (03-13-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 03:53 PM
Received 65 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Magical
I like it. Looked at the site and they have they charger too. Ty
I love it because it is right near my knee, I modified the bracket a bit so I can see the start button, and use a magnetic holder instead of theirs, I ran the cable without drilling any holes as well. so what i am left with is a reletaviely clean dash with no obstruction from the window. With little movement I can get access to what I need on the phone.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:19 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Confused. I like the suction cup version...versatile. I like the Knightspeed too. Unhingd, do you plug into the port on the dash for charging like the Knighspped has available ?
Rickw, I like the proclip patiently waiting for pics, Kurt, I like the Knightspeed, waiting for yours to sail in from over the pond and your review.
I do see and added benefit with the suction cup up, automatic video
I have and Iphone 8+ and it's large in a coupe R

Much appreciated for all the feedback from all !

Old 03-07-2018, 12:40 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I have been promised a tracking number today. We'll see.

Old 03-07-2018, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Magical
Confused. I like the suction cup version...versatile. I like the Knightspeed too. Unhingd, do you plug into the port on the dash for charging like the Knighspped has available ?
Rickw, I like the proclip patiently waiting for pics, Kurt, I like the Knightspeed, waiting for yours to sail in from over the pond and your review.
I do see and added benefit with the suction cup up, automatic video
I have and Iphone 8+ and it's large in a coupe R

Much appreciated for all the feedback from all !
I use inControl, so I run a cord from the usb out the back of the center console under trim along side of the tranny tunnel up to the edge of the glove box where I expose just enough to connect to the iPhone. ~9”. I don’t even think I have a port on the dash.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:26 PM
kurtomatic (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 04:01 PM

That's not so bad. Certainly a different set of compromises.

What we're trading against here is sight-line angles, arm fatigue, and obstruction. It'd be nice to say this was a Pick Two scenario, but I don't think we're even that close to an ideal solution.

However, Rick's ProClip mount nails the arm fatigue factor cold and acquits rather well against the obstruction problem. The start button access seems slightly clumsy, but that looks acceptable to me. It does this at the cost of a very expensive sight line. If my use case focuses mainly on viewing and operating when stationary over reading while in motion, then the ProClip seems like pretty decent ergonomics.

Lance's iMagnet strategy has a decent sight line; while the angle is a bit wide, horizontal scans across traffic towards the far mirror are useful anyway, mitigating the cost of the wider angle. Arm fatigue is the bigger cost here, but that is mitigated with the magnetic mount and a long cable; just ****** the device off the stand when stationary for full manual operation. There is also some minor obstruction with the display controls. Moving the iMagnet to the closer side of the center stack would improve the viewing angle but would obstruct the controls and the vent even more than now. A good all-around compromise location.

It will be interesting to see how the grab bar location pans out with the Knightspeed bracket. I'm hoping to minimize obstruction, but there will be some cost of sight line and arm fatigue. I'll have to evaluate that against my personal use cases over time.

My Knightspeed mount is in shipping; the Royal Mail got it to NYC, I'm now waiting on the USPS to get it moving again.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:16 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Dangerously low (IMHO).

Burt Gummer (03-11-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 07:51 PM

Honestly, with the way that I sit, I get better use out of the phone in that location then the factory radio. The start button is normally not the problem since most times the car is started remotely (except at home) by the time I get to it. When I do start it with the button, I generally hit the start before I dock my phone. My arm is generally resting on and no more then 3 inches away at most. The screen is not normally hard to see and does not distract me from anything. I like it because it is out of the way, while being extremely accessible.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:06 PM

Alrighty then...

The USPS finally managed to get my Knightspeed Phone Holder delivered to me this week. I still need to install it and put it to use, but in the meantime I thought I would start by addressing my ordering experience and the wait time, as well as post some fresh-out-of-the-box pics so you can get a good look at it close up.

Knightspeed is clearly as small shop operated by a guy named Jonathan Knight (which is an award-winning name, right there) who appears to be something of a serial entrepreneur in Belfast. The web page for the F-Type phone mount (linked by the OP) asks buyers to allow up to 5 days for parts to be produced and delivered, and that international orders can take up to 14 days.

The actual purchase from here in the States was easy. Paid with PayPal; shipping, exchange rate, $110, boom, you're done. I'd just gotten my car off the truck from California, and went on a slightly manic buying spree for accessories. All part of the fun.

I waited nearly two weeks without any communication after the PayPal receipt; no tracking number or anything. Nada. So I emailed Knightspeed using the contact info provided on the website. Jonathan got in touch with me shortly thereafter. There were more delays after this, but I'll say that he was very good about responding to all my queries, even if I did have to keep pinging him a few times throughout.

So that initial delay was some kind of order tracking foul-up in his systems. The next delay was getting my order batched into a production run. After another week, he told me he was having this batch reprinted to include some new revisions, and he included a photo of 'my bracket' on the 3D printer being made. We've all read the horror stories (well, I have) of small vendors stringing customers along while trying to solve inventory (or in this case, manufacturing) problems, but I have to say again that Jonathan was responsive and seemed genuinely confident and sincere.

The final delay was shipping. The Royal Mail did a great job getting my parcel flown to NYC very quickly, where it sat for days waiting on the USPS to get around to it. /sigh

If you're interested in ordering something from them, but have concerns about manufacturing or delivery, I'd advise contacting Knightspeed directly and asking them about it. If you do order, I'd definitely follow-up directly after placing the order, just to get on their radar. This is a legitimate outfit, you'll just need to be patient and work with them a bit.

So, now that I have it, it is legit. It's exactly as expected. The photos on the Knightspeed webpage are clearly from multiple prototypes, but the bracket I received is well represented by some of the photos on the vendor page. I'm going to attach some pics, and then I'm going to go out (on a beautiful sunny Saturday in N Texas) and install this puppy.

I'll try to post first-impressions later this weekend.

Cheers,
Kurt

Last edited by kurtomatic; 03-17-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:15 AM

Quick first impressions of the Knightspeed holder:
  • Installation is simple but awkward.
  • Holder is well constructed and tightens down very solid.
  • The phone cradle itself accommodates my Nexus 6 without issue.
  • Phone is in a good compromise location with minimal obstruction, subject to further testing.
  • The presentation angle of the phone leaves something to be desired.
The phone angle is frankly pretty disappointing. I knew this was a fixed mount, but given that, I'm a bit flummoxed by the chosen ergonomics of the design. I'm going to continue using this mount for the time being; it is completely functional, and I'll need to spend some quality time with it before coming to a final conclusion.

I hope the pic I've attached gives a sense of the problem with the display. I'm being super nitpicky about this point, but I feel that's justified and relevant to this forum.

This pic should also show how awesomely clean the installation is; that's a 3-inch usb cable, and the only slight obstruction is access to the passenger climate control. I think I really like this location, so I'm going to continue to work with this for a while.

Cheers,
Kurt

Old 03-19-2018, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

Given the viewing angle, I suspect a very short person designed it.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Given the viewing angle, I suspect a very short person designed it.
If you mean, they had the seat all the way forward, then yes.

However, they'd then need to be sitting on a stack of phone books, because the horizontal angle is too high. Even then, the phone would be skewed clockwise a bit.

I just don't even know...

Old 03-19-2018, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by kurtomatic
Quick first impressions of the Knightspeed holder:
  • Installation is simple but awkward.
  • Holder is well constructed and tightens down very solid.
  • The phone cradle itself accommodates my Nexus 6 without issue.
  • Phone is in a good compromise location with minimal obstruction, subject to further testing.
  • The presentation angle of the phone leaves something to be desired.
The phone angle is frankly pretty disappointing. I knew this was a fixed mount, but given that, I'm a bit flummoxed by the chosen ergonomics of the design. I'm going to continue using this mount for the time being; it is completely functional, and I'll need to spend some quality time with it before coming to a final conclusion.

I hope the pic I've attached gives a sense of the problem with the display. I'm being super nitpicky about this point, but I feel that's justified and relevant to this forum.

This pic should also show how awesomely clean the installation is; that's a 3-inch usb cable, and the only slight obstruction is access to the passenger climate control. I think I really like this location, so I'm going to continue to work with this for a while.

Cheers,
Kurt
Very nice neat product, Have you contacted the seller and showed him the issue, it would be very constructive for other buyers, he could remodel the holder to the right angle.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:56 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

yeah seems a bit of a shame about the angle. everything else on this mount looks quite good

Old 03-19-2018, 10:10 PM
Lightbulb

Well, Lance is essentially correct. Quell surprise.

I played with the viewing angles more tonight on my way home from work. The current presentation does make a lot more sense if you are much farther forward.

Not that I have my seat back all the way by any means. I leave plenty of room for maneuvering the seat back and the height. However, one of the small compromises I manage with my seating position is my viewing angle of the main gauges, the speedo in particular. There always seems to be a conflict with the steering wheel blocking line of sight to certain speed ranges on the speedometer (my X100 is the same way). I'm not tall (5'9"), so I tend to optimize my view of the binnacle by keeping the seat down low and tending towards farther away than closer. Still, I'm not that far from the controls; I have plenty of surplus leg extension for operating the pedals.

Anyway, if I bring the seat up and move it waaay forward, the phone angle starts to make more sense. The phone is closer, and therefore at a lower angle from my head, so the upward tilt starts to work. What really seemed wonky was the clockwise skew; it turns out you have to move your head farther to see the phone in this position, and that in turn causes a natural head tilt. So even that started to click.

Depending your seating arrangement, this viewing angle may work better for you than I. There is no way I'm sitting that close to the wheel; I do have the wheel all the way in, already. Also, I don't like that phone position on the grab bar as much with that much head tilt. My eyes are straying too far from the road at that angle.

This is my only real complaint, and I'm still feeling it out.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Very nice neat product, Have you contacted the seller and showed him the issue, it would be very constructive for other buyers, he could remodel the holder to the right angle.
I'm definitely going to give Knightspeed my feedback, but I need to let my thoughts gel a little more on the problem.

Ideally, this thing would include a ball pivot like most other mounting brackets; that would be the ultimate design solution.

Last edited by kurtomatic; 03-19-2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:34 AM
jk7
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Kurt,

I have just read your great feedback. I hear you!

You will be please to know we have been working on a new ball joint design for the past few months to address this exact issue. As we are based in the UK we do not have access to left hand drive F-Types so we rely heavily on a few EU customers to provide feedback regarding angles etc.

We have developed the new ball joint bracket which effectively allows you to angle the phone holder to any position you please. We are starting to roll it out to new customers at present.

I know theirs nothing worse than buying something, then a few months later a newer version comes out. Therefore I would like to offer all existing customers a 50% discount (excluding postage) on our newest ball joint design the FT400.

Simply email me with your previous order number and ill send you a special discount coupon. My email is jk@knightspeed.co.uk

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions.

Our new FT400 Ball Joint bracket.

Position your phone to any angle.

Quick Reply: F-type phone holder