Sponsored by:

F Type R, exhaust noise and pops.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:07 PM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by sts-v
Yikes. Thank god for the forums.
Yes, but not true in every case.

I had 309 done, new O2 sensors etc, pops and crackles like a madman with a shotgun verging on embarrassing 😎

Old 10-29-2017, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
Yes, but not true in every case.

I had 309 done, new O2 sensors etc, pops and crackles like a madman with a shotgun verging on embarrassing 😎
I had it done as well on a '16 V6S with no negative impact, but the problem appears to be prevalent on the early V8 cars.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I had it done as well on a '16 V6S with no negative impact, but the problem appears to be prevalent on the early V8 cars.
I had for some time not allowed them to do K309 but then heard about the next update that was to fix it so I had them do it. Pops and crackles as much as ever and never changed. Mine is a 14 V8S.

The more I see folks comment on this it's a very small number of cars not taking the fix properly. This now seems to be so car specific that I'm beginning to think it might be service tech dependent in how they perform the update and perhaps the order in which they apply the software changes. It can't be a hardware issue it's got to be the way the CPU is processing the update.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
I had for some time not allowed them to do K309 but then heard about the next update that was to fix it so I had them do it. Pops and crackles as much as ever and never changed. Mine is a 14 V8S.

The more I see folks comment on this it's a very small number of cars not taking the fix properly. This now seems to be so car specific that I'm beginning to think it might be service tech dependent in how they perform the update and perhaps the order in which they apply the software changes. It can't be a hardware issue it's got to be the way the CPU is processing the update.
The updated K309 TSB actually specifies what SDD update is needed to apply the update. I wouldn't be surprised if some dealers haven't updated their software properly.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:18 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

K309 originally caused the issues on my car that others are reporting here. By the time the update was released, the dealer had moved into a new location with new equipment and performed the "updated" K309 which fixed the issue.

I feel like it has nothing to do with CARB or any other type of explanation but is as you and Unginged say - it has something to do with the way the update is applied, either incorrect SDD version of something else that is causing the update to not complete successfully.

It's easy for the dealers / JLR to put it down to CARB without really looking into the root cause - a failure in the software update process.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to Jag technician some updates (emission related) are mandatory or maybe mandatory in CA. Basically once the car goes is in for service they will update the software.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:14 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

I notice many members of the forum are F type owners in USA, does anyone in other markets kow if K309 is aimed specifically at the US market or is it applicable and even identical in other areas (I live in UK) ?

Old 10-31-2017, 05:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
K309 originally caused the issues on my car that others are reporting here. By the time the update was released, the dealer had moved into a new location with new equipment and performed the "updated" K309 which fixed the issue.

I feel like it has nothing to do with CARB or any other type of explanation but is as you and Unginged say - it has something to do with the way the update is applied, either incorrect SDD version of something else that is causing the update to not complete successfully.

It's easy for the dealers / JLR to put it down to CARB without really looking into the root cause - a failure in the software update process.

I got the same explanation from Jag - CARB related changes to meet emissions requirements. I'm now in talks to have Jag purchase the vehicle back under Lemon Law protections.

I think we can safely say there was no error in the update. I demonstrated the issues for Jag and they downloaded data off my vehicle after I drove it and Jag confirmed the vehicle is working as expected. This includes, in certain cases, the active exhaust going into a "quiet mode" even on acceleration, not just deceleration.

For those who don't think their car is affected, I encourage you to take it for a spirited drive and keep it in manual mode, keep the RPMs up and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

I think my biggest issue, aside from our cars being so drastically changed for the worst, it was done under false pretense, an update to fix O2 sensor malfunction. O2 sensor malfunction is not the same as skirting the emissions regulations and having to retroactively fix it under the noses of the vehicle owners.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:46 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritzy
I got the same explanation from Jag - CARB related changes to meet emissions requirements. I'm now in talks to have Jag purchase the vehicle back under Lemon Law protections.

I think we can safely say there was no error in the update. I demonstrated the issues for Jag and they downloaded data off my vehicle after I drove it and Jag confirmed the vehicle is working as expected. This includes, in certain cases, the active exhaust going into a "quiet mode" even on acceleration, not just deceleration.

For those who don't think their car is affected, I encourage you to take it for a spirited drive and keep it in manual mode, keep the RPMs up and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

I think my biggest issue, aside from our cars being so drastically changed for the worst, it was done under false pretense, an update to fix O2 sensor malfunction. O2 sensor malfunction is not the same as skirting the emissions regulations and having to retroactively fix it under the noses of the vehicle owners.
All I can go by is my personal experience. I had the O2 update (K309) done in early 2016. It muted the exhaust and caused loss of pops and crackles. I referred the dealer to the V2 patch. By that time they had moved into new premises and applied the patch with their new equipment. It restored all noise and pops / crackles. I have no problems with ridiculous amounts of pops and crackles at any point In the rev range even low down below 2000rpm.

if it were solely K309 my car would still be broken.

Plus - my car was at the dealer today getting the start button replaced under warranty. It also had a new muffler under warranty in Sept. There are no outstanding software updates that need to be applied to my car.

Like i I mentioned it’s easy to say “it’s working as designed” when they don’t want to invest more time troubleshooting. I work in the technology industry and hear that line all the time. It’s seldom true. K309 may well have been released to address CARB, that could be true. Easy then to pin a problem they can’t fix on that.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:02 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi,

I have a 2016 F-Type R and I got the car back from 2nd annual service 2 weeks back. They have applied H007 and K405 updates (Which I am not sure what they do). I remember them updating my car last year for O2 sensors.

My car exhaust behaves as follows (active exhaust open):
- Normal mode, paddle shifter, 1st or 2nd gear: the exhaust pops and crackles alot
- Dynamic mode, paddle shifter, 1st or 2nd gear: the car pops and crackles alot
-Normal mode, gear in normal or S, rpm above 4K: if i release gas pedal, nothing happens, maybe one single pop. However, if I tap the gas pedal lightly one or two times right after releasing the gas pedal, i get lots of pops and crackles
-Dynamic mode, gear in normal or S, rpm above 4K: same as above, but slightly more pops and crackles.

Is the above the right behavior for the car exhaust?

Old 11-02-2017, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Sounds about right. The car learns how you drive as well. That's why when you pressed the peddle a couple of times you then got pops. My basic understanding is when in basic D mode pops only happen when you force the car into it through the accelerator. All other modes it loves to give those runs. Full dynamic, sport and paddles.....pure machine gun fire and hippo grunts. Joyous

Old 11-04-2017, 05:10 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds about right. The car learns how you drive as well. That's why when you pressed the peddle a couple of times you then got pops. My basic understanding is when in basic D mode pops only happen when you force the car into it through the accelerator. All other modes it loves to give those runs. Full dynamic, sport and paddles.....pure machine gun fire and hippo grunts. Joyous
Thanks Mbourne.

Although I miss my first days with the car when i was able to get pops by just releasing the pedal above 4k rpm.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:47 PM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Is this a USA problem only or all F-type V8 cars over the world?

Old 05-31-2020, 01:42 PM
vkt
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read this thread as well as a couple of others on this topic and still can't seem to figure out the universe of cars affected by this software patch. I have a 2017 SVR manufactured May 2016. Do I need to worry about this, or does it just apply to previous model years and my car is already neutered from the factory?

Old 05-31-2020, 07:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
I really do doubt its anything to do with a new PCM update as this is identical to what happened to my car in early 2016 after the K309 PCM update.

It may be that your VIN falls just outside of the JTB495 specified range, the computer is saying no update required because of this - however your car is still impacted.

Hope you can get it sorted out, drove me nuts for ages with the dealer not believing there was anything wrong with the car, telling me I was imagining it up until the point Jaguar released the update - then all of a sudden the dealer believed me. If it wasn't fixed I probably would have ended up selling the car as hated the quieter soundtrack.
Hey mate how did you get it fixed? I am about to buy a 2019 SVR, trading up from a 2019 FPace SVR. The F-Pace is louder and pops more than the F-type which is weird! So If I got the F-Type how did you get yours fixed?

Old 06-25-2020, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritzy

Did your Lemon Law buyback work-out?

Thanks!

Old 06-26-2020, 06:19 AM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

How do I find out what version of software I have on my 2014 v8s?

It is going into the dealer for a diff fluid change and a brake flush in July. I will request they don't do any software updates but would like to know how to check
which version I have? I like the sound of my exhaust!