F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards

F Type R, exhaust noise and pops.

 
  #41  
Old 10-29-2017, 12:07 PM
Tel's Avatar
Tel
Tel is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: South Coast - UK
Posts: 693
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sts-v View Post
Yikes. Thank god for the forums.
Yes, but not true in every case.

I had 309 done, new O2 sensors etc, pops and crackles like a madman with a shotgun verging on embarrassing 😎
 
  #42  
Old 10-29-2017, 06:45 PM
Unhingd's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Maryland, US
Posts: 13,508
Received 3,122 Likes on 2,357 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tel View Post
Yes, but not true in every case.

I had 309 done, new O2 sensors etc, pops and crackles like a madman with a shotgun verging on embarrassing 😎
I had it done as well on a '16 V6S with no negative impact, but the problem appears to be prevalent on the early V8 cars.
 
  #43  
Old 10-29-2017, 07:08 PM
Mbourne's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,447
Received 401 Likes on 300 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Unhingd View Post
I had it done as well on a '16 V6S with no negative impact, but the problem appears to be prevalent on the early V8 cars.
I had for some time not allowed them to do K309 but then heard about the next update that was to fix it so I had them do it. Pops and crackles as much as ever and never changed. Mine is a 14 V8S.

The more I see folks comment on this it's a very small number of cars not taking the fix properly. This now seems to be so car specific that I'm beginning to think it might be service tech dependent in how they perform the update and perhaps the order in which they apply the software changes. It can't be a hardware issue it's got to be the way the CPU is processing the update.
 
  #44  
Old 10-29-2017, 07:56 PM
Unhingd's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Maryland, US
Posts: 13,508
Received 3,122 Likes on 2,357 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mbourne View Post
I had for some time not allowed them to do K309 but then heard about the next update that was to fix it so I had them do it. Pops and crackles as much as ever and never changed. Mine is a 14 V8S.

The more I see folks comment on this it's a very small number of cars not taking the fix properly. This now seems to be so car specific that I'm beginning to think it might be service tech dependent in how they perform the update and perhaps the order in which they apply the software changes. It can't be a hardware issue it's got to be the way the CPU is processing the update.
The updated K309 TSB actually specifies what SDD update is needed to apply the update. I wouldn't be surprised if some dealers haven't updated their software properly.
 
  #45  
Old 10-29-2017, 09:18 PM
ek993's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 765
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mbourne View Post
I had for some time not allowed them to do K309 but then heard about the next update that was to fix it so I had them do it. Pops and crackles as much as ever and never changed. Mine is a 14 V8S.

The more I see folks comment on this it's a very small number of cars not taking the fix properly. This now seems to be so car specific that I'm beginning to think it might be service tech dependent in how they perform the update and perhaps the order in which they apply the software changes. It can't be a hardware issue it's got to be the way the CPU is processing the update.
K309 originally caused the issues on my car that others are reporting here. By the time the update was released, the dealer had moved into a new location with new equipment and performed the "updated" K309 which fixed the issue.

I feel like it has nothing to do with CARB or any other type of explanation but is as you and Unginged say - it has something to do with the way the update is applied, either incorrect SDD version of something else that is causing the update to not complete successfully.

It's easy for the dealers / JLR to put it down to CARB without really looking into the root cause - a failure in the software update process.
 
  #46  
Old 10-30-2017, 05:52 PM
550R's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Marin County-California
Posts: 51
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

According to Jag technician some updates (emission related) are mandatory or maybe mandatory in CA. Basically once the car goes is in for service they will update the software.
 
  #47  
Old 10-31-2017, 08:14 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Wigan, Lancashire UK
Posts: 641
Received 250 Likes on 183 Posts
Default

I notice many members of the forum are F type owners in USA, does anyone in other markets kow if K309 is aimed specifically at the US market or is it applicable and even identical in other areas (I live in UK) ?
 
  #48  
Old 10-31-2017, 05:19 PM
Member
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 63
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ek993 View Post
K309 originally caused the issues on my car that others are reporting here. By the time the update was released, the dealer had moved into a new location with new equipment and performed the "updated" K309 which fixed the issue.

I feel like it has nothing to do with CARB or any other type of explanation but is as you and Unginged say - it has something to do with the way the update is applied, either incorrect SDD version of something else that is causing the update to not complete successfully.

It's easy for the dealers / JLR to put it down to CARB without really looking into the root cause - a failure in the software update process.

I got the same explanation from Jag - CARB related changes to meet emissions requirements. I'm now in talks to have Jag purchase the vehicle back under Lemon Law protections.

I think we can safely say there was no error in the update. I demonstrated the issues for Jag and they downloaded data off my vehicle after I drove it and Jag confirmed the vehicle is working as expected. This includes, in certain cases, the active exhaust going into a "quiet mode" even on acceleration, not just deceleration.

For those who don't think their car is affected, I encourage you to take it for a spirited drive and keep it in manual mode, keep the RPMs up and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

I think my biggest issue, aside from our cars being so drastically changed for the worst, it was done under false pretense, an update to fix O2 sensor malfunction. O2 sensor malfunction is not the same as skirting the emissions regulations and having to retroactively fix it under the noses of the vehicle owners.
 
  #49  
Old 10-31-2017, 05:46 PM
ek993's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 765
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ritzy View Post
I got the same explanation from Jag - CARB related changes to meet emissions requirements. I'm now in talks to have Jag purchase the vehicle back under Lemon Law protections.

I think we can safely say there was no error in the update. I demonstrated the issues for Jag and they downloaded data off my vehicle after I drove it and Jag confirmed the vehicle is working as expected. This includes, in certain cases, the active exhaust going into a "quiet mode" even on acceleration, not just deceleration.

For those who don't think their car is affected, I encourage you to take it for a spirited drive and keep it in manual mode, keep the RPMs up and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

I think my biggest issue, aside from our cars being so drastically changed for the worst, it was done under false pretense, an update to fix O2 sensor malfunction. O2 sensor malfunction is not the same as skirting the emissions regulations and having to retroactively fix it under the noses of the vehicle owners.
All I can go by is my personal experience. I had the O2 update (K309) done in early 2016. It muted the exhaust and caused loss of pops and crackles. I referred the dealer to the V2 patch. By that time they had moved into new premises and applied the patch with their new equipment. It restored all noise and pops / crackles. I have no problems with ridiculous amounts of pops and crackles at any point In the rev range even low down below 2000rpm.

if it were solely K309 my car would still be broken.

Plus - my car was at the dealer today getting the start button replaced under warranty. It also had a new muffler under warranty in Sept. There are no outstanding software updates that need to be applied to my car.

Like i I mentioned itís easy to say ďitís working as designedĒ when they donít want to invest more time troubleshooting. I work in the technology industry and hear that line all the time. Itís seldom true. K309 may well have been released to address CARB, that could be true. Easy then to pin a problem they canít fix on that.
 
  #50  
Old 11-02-2017, 03:02 AM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 55
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Hi,

I have a 2016 F-Type R and I got the car back from 2nd annual service 2 weeks back. They have applied H007 and K405 updates (Which I am not sure what they do). I remember them updating my car last year for O2 sensors.

My car exhaust behaves as follows (active exhaust open):
- Normal mode, paddle shifter, 1st or 2nd gear: the exhaust pops and crackles alot
- Dynamic mode, paddle shifter, 1st or 2nd gear: the car pops and crackles alot
-Normal mode, gear in normal or S, rpm above 4K: if i release gas pedal, nothing happens, maybe one single pop. However, if I tap the gas pedal lightly one or two times right after releasing the gas pedal, i get lots of pops and crackles
-Dynamic mode, gear in normal or S, rpm above 4K: same as above, but slightly more pops and crackles.

Is the above the right behavior for the car exhaust?
 
  #51  
Old 11-02-2017, 07:20 PM
Mbourne's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,447
Received 401 Likes on 300 Posts
Default

Sounds about right. The car learns how you drive as well. That's why when you pressed the peddle a couple of times you then got pops. My basic understanding is when in basic D mode pops only happen when you force the car into it through the accelerator. All other modes it loves to give those runs. Full dynamic, sport and paddles.....pure machine gun fire and hippo grunts. Joyous
 
  #52  
Old 11-04-2017, 05:10 AM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 55
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mbourne View Post
Sounds about right. The car learns how you drive as well. That's why when you pressed the peddle a couple of times you then got pops. My basic understanding is when in basic D mode pops only happen when you force the car into it through the accelerator. All other modes it loves to give those runs. Full dynamic, sport and paddles.....pure machine gun fire and hippo grunts. Joyous
Thanks Mbourne.

Although I miss my first days with the car when i was able to get pops by just releasing the pedal above 4k rpm.
 
  #53  
Old 03-12-2019, 05:47 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 133
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

Is this a USA problem only or all F-type V8 cars over the world?
 
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: