Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Stereo System Upgrade Planning

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Paul, is this a 100 mm coaxial? I was inadvertently shipped a Kevlar 100 mm coaxial, part no. C2d2079. This is from earlier XJ speaker. It looks substantial. Wondering if this would be a replacement upgrade for the existing f type coaxial?
Would you mind showing where you had to cut out the plastic?

Old 04-15-2018, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts
Default coaxial speaker

coaxial photo C2D2079; as Cambo said the tweeter is black. This is the same size as the 100mm midrange speaker.

Attached Thumbnails F-Type Stereo System Upgrade Planning-20180415_134539.jpg   F-Type Stereo System Upgrade Planning-20180415_134549.jpg   F-Type Stereo System Upgrade Planning-20180415_134604.jpg  

Last edited by jaguny; 04-15-2018 at 02:00 PM. Reason: added photos and text
The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (04-15-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member

Update: first I need to thank Camb and Paul for their great info! So following speakers were replaced; the number given is the replacement I used, all are door speakers other than the coaxial in center dash:

Tweeter: C2D30486 (titanium dome)
Midrange: C2D2076 (yellow Kevlar 100mm)
Bass: LR047119 (black Kevlar 200mm)

Coaxial dash: C2D2079 (yellow Kevlar 100 mm)

Sound Matt (don't know which type) on the metal behind the finished door panel.

Preliminary verdict:tested with cd's and radio only- speaker sound quality is 100 percent better. Better depth of sound, clarity, and punctuation. Additional sampling is necessary though. Some items of note; I have turned the treble all the way down and cranked the bass to 3/4 or better. The system seems to be more loaded to the upper frequency range. I have tried the various surround settings and DTS or Dolby still sound best. The sound from the mid ranges doesn't seem as prominent. Sound from coaxial and tweeters (or so it appears to sound) is almost startling crisp and clear. As has been pointed out, the deficiencies of the rear speakers seems to be more prevalent, but if you had started out with these, you may not be aware of it. The sound overall has no rattle or vibration, almost seems muffled in midrange sometimes?

My installer said one of tweeters was bit loose and he but a dab of goo to hold the new one tight. I've blasted some Queen (on cd) which is quite orchestral, and the difference is very noticeable. When the radio is on and speech is broadcasting all sound seems to eminate from coaxial. I don't remember (already) if this was the case before. I've only had the car out twice before this as was stored all winter so sample was short. I'm going to keep sampling and update the thread if I learn anything further. When I get up to the Blueberry Blast (unless I see another f type with 770w) I can maybe do some old to new comparisons with other objective ( ?) witnesses/experts. Bottom line: I'll keep this new set up unless something drastic surfaces.

Last edited by jaguny; 04-21-2018 at 02:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Update: first I need to thank Camb and Paul for their great info! So following speakers were replaced; the number given is the replacement I used, all are door speakers other than the coaxial in center dash:

Tweeter: C2D30486 (titanium dome)
Midrange: C2D2076 (yellow Kevlar 100mm)
Bass: LR047119 (black Kevlar 200mm)

Coaxial dash: C2D2079 (yellow Kevlar 100 mm)

Sound Matt (don't know which type) on the metal behind the finished door panel.

Preliminary verdict:tested with cd's and radio only- speaker sound quality is 100 percent better. Better depth of sound, clarity, and punctuation. Additional sampling is necessary though. Some items of note; I have turned the treble all the way down and cranked the bass to 3/4 or better. The system seems to be more loaded to the upper frequency range. I have tried the various surround settings and DTS or Dolby still sound best. The sound from the mid ranges doesn't seem as prominent. Sound from coaxial and tweeters (or so it appears to sound) is almost startling crisp and clear. As has been pointed out, the deficiencies of the rear speakers seems to be more prevalent, but if you had started out with these, you may not be aware of it. The sound overall has no rattle or vibration, almost seems muffled in midrange sometimes?

My installer said one of tweeters was bit loose and he but a dab of goo to hold the new one tight. I've blasted some Queen (on cd) which is quite orchestral, and the difference is very noticeable. When the radio is on and speech is broadcasting all sound seems to eminate from coaxial. I don't remember (already) if this was the case before. I've only had the car out twice before this as was stored all winter so sample was short. I'm going to keep sampling and update the thread if I learn anything further. When I get up to the Blueberry Blast (unless I see another f type with 770w) I can maybe do some old to new comparisons with other objective ( ?) witnesses/experts. Bottom line: I'll keep this new set up unless something drastic surfaces.

When they did my car the completally sound deadened the door panel with 3 boxes of 3m sound insulation. The door itself was not touched.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp differene

Originally Posted by Cambo
C2Z22817 as seen in Paul's pic is the original speaker from the 770W system.

Potential upgrades are;

C2D2079, this is with yellow Kevlar cone and aluminium tweeter, although some of them have the tweeter coated black for some reason, anodised? from the B&W system in the 2010-2012 XJ and the 2012 XF

C2D24865, this is with pink/red Kevlar cone and titanium tweeter, this is from the Meridian Signature in the 2013-onward XJ.

In both cases you will need to trim away some plastic from the mounting hole in the F-Type dash, because the location of the ferrite choke and capacitor on the back side of the speaker is in a different location to the original Meridian one.

This is what slojotaa's guy was going to do. (has done?) You can see there are some moulded recess' in the mounting hole in Paul's pic, that is to clear the choke and capacitor, so some cutting is needed, but everything else is the same, they just plug in.
I know the difference between the 380 and 770 is the center speaker what I don't know is how do you upgrade the amp to the 770 and does anyone know the part number.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

I believe Cambo indicated in earlier posts that the amplifiers are the same.
Correction, I think info you want is in this thread.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...rround-163999/

Last edited by jaguny; 05-17-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by JMFA
I know the difference between the 380 and 770 is the center speaker what I don't know is how do you upgrade the amp to the 770 and does anyone know the part number.
I just got my second F-type a week ago, I have already added a Sub in the boot, but want to upgrade the speakers. My display shows the surround sound options so does this mean I have the 770w system? I have a 2014 V8S

Old 05-18-2018, 11:11 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Yes, no surround options for the 380W system.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Calvert
Similar but slightly different. I have ordered the Meridian Signature speakers but the Land Rover Variant :- seemed to be cheaper. LR047119, LR033293 & LR03392. Once the weather clears up Ill get the door cards off and install.I have also got some dynomat to through in at the same time.

Paul
Are these the exakt same Meridian Signature speakers as:
c2d30486 (tweeter)
c2d24862 (midrange)
c2d24863 (bass)

Old 08-13-2018, 09:58 AM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi everyone. This thread is exactly what I was looking for. New 17 F Type R owner here. Frankly I was in awe of how bad the 770w system is. I will be doing the same upgrade as Jaguny. One question please. What is involved with the Update to teh Audio Module? Who would do it and is it needed? Thanks everyone. Need to do a formal introduction but got stuck on this quickly. Only a 1 week owner!

Old 08-13-2018, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts
Old 08-13-2018, 12:34 PM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Thank you so much!! Great read!!

Old 09-09-2018, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by 0to60in4
Has anyone upgraded their F-Type stereo with aftermarket components? I've done this in each of my cars no mater the difficulty presented. In the case of the F-Type, since the audio system is very much integrated with other systems, I do not plan on changing the head unit. However I will certainly figure best way to upgrade the sound quality by changing speakers and adding amplifiers. If anyone has experience with upgrading the stereo system in this vehicle, please discuss the speakers you chose and where did you find room for better subs?

Does anyone know where the audio system components are located in the vehicle (amplifier, XM tuner, bluetooth modules, etc.)?

Also does anyone know if there is access to full-range line level before the amplifier? If not, has anyone used a summing component such as JL Cleansweep to obtain signals from bass, mids, and highs outputs?

Finally, does anyone know if there is a way to disable the compression circuitry?

Does anyone have any photos of the door panels removed and the rear speaker grills removed? Curious how much space is behind these areas before we start taking stuff apart next week.

Thanks,
Craig
Has anyone tried installing subs in the trunk of their Jaguar F-Type? I have a 2014 Jaguar F-Type Convertible and was curious as to how well the bass travels from the trunk to the front seats.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:09 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Not much room in the trunk, nor much volume to resonate. And the convertible roof sits mostly between the trunk and the cabin. There are subs behind the seats; you'd be better off trying to improve those.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by DJS
Not much room in the trunk, nor much volume to resonate. And the convertible roof sits mostly between the trunk and the cabin. There are subs behind the seats; you'd be better off trying to improve those.
I was thinking of using up all of the trunk space for airspace and am looking for deep bass. Not sure I can achieve the bass from the subs behind the seat that I would in the trunk. I think the sub size behind the seats is only 6 inch diameter?

Old 09-10-2018, 09:59 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

I suspect they're bigger than that, but can't really confirm it. I would think you'd need to find a way to get a duct from the sub in the trunk to the passenger compartment. I had this in my '94 Thunderbird, and it was amazing - fed a 4" hose into an opening in the package shelf, from an enclosed 12" sub in the trunk. But that had decent air volume in both the trunk and the passenger compartment.

Don't know if that's possible in the F-type convertible.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:30 AM
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts

If you are forgoing having any kind of usable trunk and need all extra space, you could remove the lining structure (arrow on pic was to show where auto-start connector is located). Not sure if that would help/hurt the acoustics...

Old 09-10-2018, 10:55 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Wow, your '18 trunk layout is much different than my '14 - battery is on the left side, with big power distribution panel in the middle.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

Just floating this out there: Size of the sub isn't the big restrictor. My home speakers are old Polk towers (RTA15 TL) where the bass comes from four 6.5 inch speakers. It is intense base. There are 2 10" passive radiators, but my point is with the right amp, smaller subwoofers car thump. If you want to big, long, low bass, then size helps, but for most music, including albums like "Licenses to Ill", the little subs are on point.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys. I don’t have an F Type but it’s on my shortlist. Since audio is important to me I’ve learned to check the forums for threads exactly like this one (thanks). Several times I’ve been too lax in evaluating a car’s audio critically, presuming that a high dollar car has a high quality sound system and if it seems lacking it can be made right with some adjustments.

Mistake #1 was a W221 S Class that, on paper, had a robust 7.1 Harman/Kardon Logic 7 that in reality was terrible. Shrieking bright mids, no low end punch, and nothing but a Bass and Treble adjustments. On a $100k flagship Benz.

I’m posting here because, based on the shortcomings of the system described by owners, and the photos of the speaker array, the F Type shares some components with the S Class, as well as with my current car, a 430i.

The good news is, those shared components, namely the 8” dual coil pancake subs in your doors (and the S Class doors, and under the seats in the BMW) are incredible performers when they’re let off the chain. By that I mean defeating the baked in EQ in the factory amp and feeding them a full signal.

Manufacturers sometimes neuter the bass drivers in the amp’s internal DSP to reduce rattles late in the build process and by extension reduce warranty claims. Mercedes certainly did in the S, and it sounds like Jaguar did as well.

The design itself for the F looks solid. The big 8” door woofers, the 6”(?) door midbass and tweeters for the main arrays, a small sub firing into each of the seat backs to add a physical “hit” augmenting the bass coming from the doors, and two rear “surrounds” to increase the sense of space by delay. Should sound great.

Owners seem universally puzzled by the anemic output from the two rear deck subs, which again is likely a late addition to the baked in DSP to prevent rattles. They do this by reducing level and finessing the crossovers until the speakers behave.

While a lot of blame tends to get focused on the most visible part of the signal chain, the speakers, in reality those speakers are slaves to a crappy DSP (digital signal processor) map loaded by the manufacturer into the amp. Bypass the factory scheme with an integration DSP amp and you’re 90% there without touching a speaker or cracking open a door panel (other than to install Hushmat or other damping material.. Start there, and if you can’t dial in everything you want, then replace speakers surgically, rather than shotgun style.

My experience, both in the S Class HK and in a C Class Burmester, is with the Audison Prima 8.9 DSP amp. (Links to detailed write-ups below). They run around $900. The Prima is meant for cars like yours with deeply integrated infotainment systems and controls, and a fiber optic connection from the head unit to the amp. It installs between the output (analog) side of the factory amp and the speakers. Its processor drops the signal to line level, strips out the factory EQ, and then lets you go nuts with EQ, time correction, level and crossover for each individual channel. Each channel is then amplified to speaker level. This is all done in real time, on the fly, by the processor. In the config I’d recommend the amp will put out an honest 35 watts x 8 channels into 4 ohm loads. It’s plenty in an S Class and more than enough in a small car like your F.

Being able to set your own levels and crossovers will allow you to wake up those rear subs, and especially the door pancake subs. They’ll perform like totally different speakers. (You’ll want to Hushmat both front door shells and the rear panel because they’ll rattle).

In the F, I’d suggest using the 8 powered channels as follows:

Three way active in the front doors (each 8” sub, 6” mid and tweeter on its own independent channel) and each rear surround on its own channel. That’s 4 channels per side (8 total).

In addition to the 8 powered channels the Prima has an unpowered 9th channel for a sub/amp combo. You could add a small amp and use it to drive both rear subs in mono. Since they’re basically functioning as transducers that shouldn’t be a problem. Or leave the rear surrounds on the factory amp and use two powered channels for the rear subs so they’re stereo.

I’ve orphaned rear surrounds (and a center dash speaker) in this manner on the S and the C. The Prima’s DSP can easily blend them in. (With the 4 Series, BMW didn’t play around. No Prima for that car, just two sets of Morel Hybrid two ways, and I’m not sure those even were necessary.)

One last thing, for convertibles. Audison sells a remote control add on that allows you to switch between maps, which is handy because the environment changes dramatically with the top gone, and ideally would have its own tuning.

Rather than blather on (more) I’ll link out to two write-ups on the S Class and C Class Audio upgrades using the Prima (and Focal and JL stuff).

http://www.w221audio.wordpress.com
http://www.w205audio.wordpress.com

I’d be happy to answer any questions here or on the blogs themselves. I don’t sell or install audio equipment and I have zero stake in any audio company, including those referenced in the write ups.

Quick Reply: F-Type Stereo System Upgrade Planning