F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type SVR Brakes (Rotors)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Type SVR Brakes (Rotors)

Hello all - I'm sure this topic is beaten to death, and I'll get the 'use the search function' response mostly. But after reading through countless threads about the brake offerings on the SVR and aftermarket options, I'm feeling a bit lost more than educated.

I bought a slightly used SVR (3,000~ miles). And though I love the car, the brakes seem to be notoriously underwhelming. Mine did not come with the Ceramic, which to me, honestly doesn't matter in terms of braking performance. But I'd also be a lot happier if the car had a set of brakes that at least visually complemented the overall performance of the vehicle.

For those of you that have upgraded your braking system - What did you do, and have you since enjoyed it? Did you replace just the rotors, or calipers too? All suggestions are sincerely appreciated.

Old 11-27-2019, 03:53 PM
Received 356 Likes on 240 Posts

Go with Wortec rotors. Two piece and light. Search for Wortec on this forum for photos. They are what you are looking for.

Old 11-27-2019, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,138 Likes on 2,312 Posts

I'm not aware of anyone who makes big brake kits for the F-Type that also includes the rear brakes, and the relatively weeny OEM rear brake calipers are the main problem appearance wise, even the 376 mm ones on the SVR.
Vivid Racing offer a range of Brembo big brake kits for the F-Type but they are all front brakes only, see here: https://www.vividracing.com/big-brak...&class_9=38468
Your research here probably turned up the Wortec lightweight two piece "suncut" brake rotors as well, but those kits are rotors only and are designed to go with the OEM calipers (380 mm front and 376 mm rear).
Even the OEM CCM brakes are a bit small looking in the rear caliper department.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 378 Posts

Gotta ask, if @JustinWK has researched what pads are on the car presently?

At least on the non-SVR cars, the brakes work very nicely on the street (some say, a bit too touchy at low speeds). There are also a lot of complaints about brake dust on the OEM brakes.

Owners will change the pads to minimize these issues. BUT there is always a consequence, and perhaps reduced braking is what you (as a new owner) are feeling.

First off: Is the complaint about driving on the street? Or on the track?
Does the car require excessive pedal pressure to slow down?
Do you feel the urge to clean the black dust off the front wheels every 50 miles?

I've driven a V8 R at Watkins Glen, and I didn't feel shortchanged at all regards brake performance.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,138 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Gotta ask, if @JustinWK has researched what pads are on the car presently?

At least on the non-SVR cars, the brakes work very nicely on the street (some say, a bit too touchy at low speeds). There are also a lot of complaints about brake dust on the OEM brakes.

Owners will change the pads to minimize these issues. BUT there is always a consequence, and perhaps reduced braking is what you (as a new owner) are feeling.

First off: Is the complaint about driving on the street? Or on the track?
Does the car require excessive pedal pressure to slow down?
Do you feel the urge to clean the black dust off the front wheels every 50 miles?

I've driven a V8 R at Watkins Glen, and I didn't feel shortchanged at all regards brake performance.
Judging by this bit of his first post I suspect the OP is concerned more about the looks of the OEM brakes rather than their performance:
".....But I'd also be a lot happier if the car had a set of brakes that at least visually complemented the overall performance of the vehicle."
Which is what my post was about.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 378 Posts

Ahh......

Old 11-28-2019, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Ahh......
Nooooooooooo!

Get the Wortec rotors. Their appearance is so dramatic, it will draw all attention away from the calipers. Besides stripping 40 lbs off the un-sprung weight of the car, combined with Porterfield 4S pads, their stopping force will impress you (and the dust is substantially reduced).

Old 11-28-2019, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Judging by this bit of his first post I suspect the OP is concerned more about the looks of the OEM brakes rather than their performance:
".....But I'd also be a lot happier if the car had a set of brakes that at least visually complemented the overall performance of the vehicle."
Which is what my post was about.
You're exactly right. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I probably didn't articulate it the best.

The performance is more than fine. I'm not tracking, I'm not doing anything aside from daily driving, so it is purely for the visual. Same reason that I suppose Aston Martin puts massive carbon-ceramic brakes on their vehicles - No one is tracking a DB11 or even Vanquish, and they certainly aren't the performance monsters of the world that necessarily require them... But it just completes the appearance and perhaps provides to the pedigree.

I'm absolutely ignorant to the world of brakes, so if I'm wrong and the standard SVR brakes are more than justified for the type of vehicle I own, I'll shut up and go on my way. But when I was comparing a few different cars (a used Vanquish was one of them), it just seemed the SVR had the better performance of the bunch of cars I was considering, but visually the brakes stood out as maybe being a bit out of place on this caliber of a machine - ****, even a stock Corvette has much bigger brakes (mainly in the rear).