F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F type V8 rear rotor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F type V8 rear rotor replacement

Hello all! I'm just curious if anyone has replaced the rear rotors on there f type? I'm a diy guy who has done front pads and rotors before on various fords/mazdas .I'm just curious how hard it is to replace the rear rotors on the Jag, and if any special tools are required. I'd appreciate any help, tips, videos, etc. Thank you!

Old 09-08-2018, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 956 Likes on 717 Posts

No special tools needed. It's not that hard. The electronic parking brake needs to be put into maintenance mode, and then put back in operational mode when complete, but that's the only unusual part. I got that process here on the forum, but reproducing here for your convenience:
Its a little bit more complicated than just using a caliper piston tool to retract the piston. You need the JLR SDD tool to put it in the maintenance position. IF SDD is not available:
CAUTION: This procedure requires the vehicle in the Park or Neutral position, with the ignition turned ON (the engine must be OFF) and the parking brake system released.
NOTE: This procedure allows the parking brake to be released when removing and installing new rear brake pads or brake discs.

1.Press and hold the parking brake switch in the release position.
2.Wait 2 seconds.
3.Press and hold the accelerator pedal in the wide open throttle position.
4.Wait 2 seconds.
5.Turn the ignition Off and back On immediately.
NOTE: An audible noise will be heard to confirm that the parking brake has been released in Service Mode.
6. Release the accelerator pedal and release the parking brake switch to the neutral position.

Deactivation
CAUTIONS: This procedure requires the vehicle in the Park or Neutral position, with the ignition turned ON (the engine must be OFF) and the parking brake system in Service Mode.
Once the rear brake pads or brake discs have been installed, the Service Mode must be cancelled.

1.Press and hold the parking brake switch in the apply position.
2.Wait 2 seconds.
4.Wait 2 seconds.
NOTE: An audible noise will be heard to confirm that the parking brake has been released from the Service Mode.
6.Release the accelerator pedal and release the parking brake switch to the neutral position.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
No special tools needed. It's not that hard. The electronic parking brake needs to be put into maintenance mode, and then put back in operational mode when complete, but that's the only unusual part. I got that process here on the forum, but reproducing here for your convenience:
Its a little bit more complicated than just using a caliper piston tool to retract the piston. You need the JLR SDD tool to put it in the maintenance position. IF SDD is not available:
CAUTION: This procedure requires the vehicle in the Park or Neutral position, with the ignition turned ON (the engine must be OFF) and the parking brake system released.
NOTE: This procedure allows the parking brake to be released when removing and installing new rear brake pads or brake discs.

1.Press and hold the parking brake switch in the release position.
2.Wait 2 seconds.
4.Wait 2 seconds.
NOTE: An audible noise will be heard to confirm that the parking brake has been released in Service Mode.
6. Release the accelerator pedal and release the parking brake switch to the neutral position.

Deactivation
CAUTIONS: This procedure requires the vehicle in the Park or Neutral position, with the ignition turned ON (the engine must be OFF) and the parking brake system in Service Mode.
Once the rear brake pads or brake discs have been installed, the Service Mode must be cancelled.

1.Press and hold the parking brake switch in the apply position.
2.Wait 2 seconds.
4.Wait 2 seconds.
NOTE: An audible noise will be heard to confirm that the parking brake has been released from the Service Mode.
6.Release the accelerator pedal and release the parking brake switch to the neutral position.

thank you for the info. Do I need the sdd to reset the brake indicator icon if/when it comes on, or to put the vehicle in maintenance mode? Also, can you walk me through the procedure for rear rotor replacement ? I just spoke to the dealer who is pushing me to have them do it, as "every person they have talked to has tried doing them themselves and had to bring the car in within 10 miles." Sounds like bs but I want to make sure .

Old 09-08-2018, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Steven Cooper
thank you for the info. Do I need the sdd to reset the brake indicator icon if/when it comes on, or to put the vehicle in maintenance mode? Also, can you walk me through the procedure for rear rotor replacement ? I just spoke to the dealer who is pushing me to have them do it, as "every person they have talked to has tried doing them themselves and had to bring the car in within 10 miles." Sounds like bs but I want to make sure .
I think if the brake wear light comes on you need to replace the sensor. I think it's left front and right rear.

Maintenance mode is just as described. You could go do it right now with no tools, and then cancel it, just to satisfy yourself that it's that easy.

I got my information from this thread on the Wortec rotors. I've done probably a few hundred brake jobs over the years, so just read through for anything out of the ordinary. The electric parking brake was the only thing special. The spring can be a bit of a pain with just two hands but I managed it for all four wheels. That's described there too.

As for your dealer's comment, it sounds like a scare tactic. That said, if you're not comfortable working on your own brakes it's worth having a pro do it. It sounds like it's not new to you though, and is well within the realm of DIY for someone with reasonable proficiency.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I think if the brake wear light comes on you need to replace the sensor. I think it's left front and right rear.

Maintenance mode is just as described. You could go do it right now with no tools, and then cancel it, just to satisfy yourself that it's that easy.

I got my information from this thread on the Wortec rotors. I've done probably a few hundred brake jobs over the years, so just read through for anything out of the ordinary. The electric parking brake was the only thing special. The spring can be a bit of a pain with just two hands but I managed it for all four wheels. That's described there too.

As for your dealer's comment, it sounds like a scare tactic. That said, if you're not comfortable working on your own brakes it's worth having a pro do it. It sounds like it's not new to you though, and is well within the realm of DIY for someone with reasonable proficiency.
ok sounds good! Thank you very much for your help with this!! I appreciate it

Old 09-08-2018, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Yes...no special tools or SDD needed. Just be careful removing and replacing the sensor (Just slides up and out). Otherwise simple once you put it into maintenance mode. (You will hear the E brake retract)

Last edited by Unhingd; 09-08-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:31 PM
Received 356 Likes on 240 Posts

The pad wear sensors are the only thing to be careful with. They get brittle and sometimes break when taken off or reinstalled. The are not that expensive to replace.

Old 06-12-2020, 11:12 AM
Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Anyone know the torque spec on the rotor mounts?

Old 06-12-2020, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by STMPY
Anyone know the torque spec on the rotor mounts?
Rotor mounts? Do you mean calipers?

Old 06-12-2020, 12:37 PM
Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

No - I'm replacing the rotors, and I'm wondering what the torque is for the bolts that mount the rotors to the hub. Anyone know? Thanks!

Old 06-12-2020, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by STMPY
No - I'm replacing the rotors, and I'm wondering what the torque is for the bolts that mount the rotors to the hub. Anyone know? Thanks!
I don't recall any bolts holding the rotors to the hub. They're held in place by some special washers, but are clamped by the lug nuts.

Unless you're talking about the Wortec 2-piece rotors. In that case, I'd be surprised they're worn out so soon, and would have to refer to Wortec.

The following users liked this post:
STMPY (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 01:48 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

just did mine, the rears are pretty straight forward like any other car, fronts are a bit different.