Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flood Victim Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 11:21 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts
Default Flood Victim Assistance

Many in the Carolinas have lost much; some have lost all.
I encourage everyone to donate to the org. of your choice to help those who are in dire need.
I was lucky again and only had a bit of debris to clean up; nothing like Matthews created.
"There but by the grace...."

The following 5 users liked this post by fujicoupe:
DJS (09-23-2018), Jayt2 (09-30-2018), Mbourne (09-23-2018), Misujerr (09-24-2018), ndabunka (09-24-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
I encourage everyone to donate to the org. of your choice to help those who are in dire need.
I was lucky again and only had a bit of debris to clean up; nothing like Matthews created.
+1. Agree completely. Find a reputable non profit of your choice but I highly recommend you don't donate "stuff". Better to donate time or take part in a rebuilding effort. Sending food, clothing or other items creates a logistical nightmare for state and local officials and saps resources from recovery. Glad Fuji that you came through it largely unscathed.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
+1. Agree completely. Find a reputable non profit of your choice but I highly recommend you don't donate "stuff". Better to donate time or take part in a rebuilding effort. Sending food, clothing or other items creates a logistical nightmare for state and local officials and saps resources from recovery. Glad Fuji that you came through it largely unscathed.
Or donate cash to groups who are doing the feeding / sheltering / rebuilding. Donating "stuff" to a disaster zone is quite literally counterproductive. Thanks for saying it, Marko. Lots of people don't realize.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nati
Or donate cash to groups who are doing the feeding / sheltering / rebuilding. Donating "stuff" to a disaster zone is quite literally counterproductive. Thanks for saying it, Marko. Lots of people don't realize.
I agree with everything you wrote. I only give stuff, serviceable stuff, to a local charity where a friend of mine works, and in the current flooding disaster I have chosen to give to Mercy Chefs, Samaritans Purse, the Salvation Army and even though I'm not really a big fan, the Red Cross, because they are always one of the first on the scene.
The damage is huge and the need is great; recovery will take months and years.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,477 Likes on 7,450 Posts

Fujicoupe...just curious...how far (or close) do live from Simpsonville ? I have a friend who lives there and he hasn't been too badly affected by the storm and floods.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jayt2
Fujicoupe...just curious...how far (or close) do live from Simpsonville ? I have a friend who lives there and he hasn't been too badly affected by the storm and floods.
May as well be in different states, the distance is so great. I'm about 3 miles from the Atlantic Ocean and 1 mile from the ICW and probably 250 miles from Simpsonville.
Storm damage is very selective and can vary by street within neighborhoods. The damage to my properties was less than a typical thunderstorm and I consider myself lucky.

The following users liked this post:
Jayt2 (10-01-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 10:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Where were you when mine was flooded? I lost the first story of my house (and everything in it), my F-type was drowned up to its info center, my Aprilia RSV4-R was up to its seat cowl, all the Hondas and Acura too (they weren't loved as much to be in the garage) and everything else the damn water could lick, it drowned. The house then got looted and they took the only things that weren't wet, the TV hung on the wall, my Omega and Breitling, and my home theater equipment because I only had time to haul them to the second floor. Two years now and I am not fully recovered and in red over 100k in repairing. Had to eat canned food for almost two months and used the restroom at Lowe's during the day and at night at a Motel 58 miles away because all of the available places in town were 100% fully booked.
I feel their pain and as I type on this dead thread, the helpless, gutted feeling surfaces again...
Please donate to help those in the Carolinas. Also, some people in Malibu's fire, as well.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by NTAV
Where were you when mine was flooded? I lost the first story of my house (and everything in it), my F-type was drowned up to its info center, my Aprilia RSV4-R was up to its seat cowl, all the Hondas and Acura too (they weren't loved as much to be in the garage) and everything else the damn water could lick, it drowned. The house then got looted and they took the only things that weren't wet, the TV hung on the wall, my Omega and Breitling, and my home theater equipment because I only had time to haul them to the second floor. Two years now and I am not fully recovered and in red over 100k in repairing. Had to eat canned food for almost two months and used the restroom at Lowe's during the day and at night at a Motel 58 miles away because all of the available places in town were 100% fully booked.
I feel their pain and as I type on this dead thread, the helpless, gutted feeling surfaces again...
Please donate to help those in the Carolinas. Also, some people in Malibu's fire, as well.
The Woolsey fire (Malibu) is tragic, but 500 miles North, the Camp Fire is far more destructive.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I agree with everything said so far.

One aspect of this is the insurance companies. They will do everything possible to weasel out of paying what they should and if they pay it will be a lot less
than they should.

There was a write up a couple of years ago concerning this issue with burned out properties in earlier CA fires.

This is where government should have some sort of control.