Sponsored by:

H&R Lowering Springs on Base F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts
Default H&R Lowering Springs on Base F-Type

Hi all,

I've searched a good amount and really cannot seem to find a straight answer to this: How do H&R lowering springs feel on a base model F-Type?

If folks could chime in on the following aspects of ride quality, I'd very much appreciate it.

1) Body Roll reduced at highway speeds 70+ MPH (I assume greatly)
2) Are the spring rates too high for the base dampers? In other words, is there any pogo effect on large undulations on the freeway?
3) What is the incremental NVH (Noise, vibration, harshness) after install?

Thanks in advance.

The following users liked this post:
Michael94 (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
Hi all,

I've searched a good amount and really cannot seem to find a straight answer to this: How do H&R lowering springs feel on a base model F-Type?

If folks could chime in on the following aspects of ride quality, I'd very much appreciate it.

1) Body Roll reduced at highway speeds 70+ MPH (I assume greatly)
2) Are the spring rates too high for the base dampers? In other words, is there any pogo effect on large undulations on the freeway?
3) What is the incremental NVH (Noise, vibration, harshness) after install?

Thanks in advance.
Roll will definitely be significantly reduced in high seed cornering, but not having the base suspension, I can’t weigh in on your other questions.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

Right -- that's why it's been so tricky for me so far to grasp. The Eibach kit is the best option IMO with a .6 inch drop in the front and a 1.0 inch in the rear given the rake the car has in stock form.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:47 PM
Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I had the VelocityAP lowering springs on my previous base V6. There was definitely a pogo effect and the VAP springs are significantly more conservative than the H&R ones - I would personally recommend you don't do it.

You'll also struggle a little bit with traction off the line, although I was pushing 460 hp so that didn't help . Are you planning on any other mods?

Old 08-03-2018, 11:53 PM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

Right -- that's why it's been so tricky for me so far to grasp. The Eibach kit is the best option IMO with a .6 inch drop in the front and a 1.0 inch in the rear given the rake the car has in stock form.
The Eibach kit is indeed the best option. First of all lowering the car too much reduces your suspension travel, secondly, the height sensors on your control arms will provide inaccurate feedback to your DSC. My car has Eibach springs and beefier anti-roll bars. The latter was what truy changed the car's composure in turns.

Panthro (12-21-2023)
Old 08-05-2018, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

A number of people complain about body roll of F-type. I am always puzzled by this, as stock S suspension in track mode is adequate for me even when pushed on the track. Could it be better? Sure, you could always get something better no matter what your starting point is. However, and especially in everyday driving, F-type suspension is up to the task and hard to improve. What impresses me about stock S setup is that it is sufficiently stiff without being punishingly hard and is great for both track and road use.

So when OP mentions body roll at highway speeds, I wonder what is the use case? High-speed slalom on the interstate while running away from the cops?

Old 08-05-2018, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by FType17
My car has Eibach springs and beefier anti-roll bars. The latter was what truly changed the car's composure in turns.
How harsh is street driving with this setup?

Old 08-05-2018, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ss23
I had the VelocityAP lowering springs on my previous base V6. There was definitely a pogo effect and the VAP springs are significantly more conservative than the H&R ones - I would personally recommend you don't do it.

You'll also struggle a little bit with traction off the line, although I was pushing 460 hp so that didn't help . Are you planning on any other mods?
That pogo effect scares me as it absolutely ruins the handling characteristics of a car. Thanks for the insight.

The Eibach kit is indeed the best option. First of all lowering the car too much reduces your suspension travel, secondly, the height sensors on your control arms will provide inaccurate feedback to your DSC. My car has Eibach springs and beefier anti-roll bars. The latter was what truy changed the car's composure in turns.
I think so too. Do you have pictures of how your car sits with the Eibach springs? Other than wheel spacers, I do not plan to modify the car at all. I'm coming from a C63 AMG which I heavily modified so want to take a break from that for a while.

H&R Lowering Springs on Base F-Type-bvirlqgl.jpg

Originally Posted by SinF
A number of people complain about body roll of F-type. I am always puzzled by this, as stock S suspension in track mode is adequate for me even when pushed on the track. Could it be better? Sure, you could always get something better no matter what your starting point is. However, and especially in everyday driving, F-type suspension is up to the task and hard to improve. What impresses me about stock S setup is that it is sufficiently stiff without being punishingly hard and is great for both track and road use.

So when OP mentions body roll at highway speeds, I wonder what is the use case? High-speed slalom on the interstate while running away from the cops?
In Texas, there are longer sweeping highway turns which you should be able to take at 70MPH. When I do so, the car rolls heavily to one side as opposed to staying planted and in place. When the car does roll, you can feel the abrupt weight transfer of the car to one side, and it's not the most pleasant thing.

How are you defining "everyday driving"? To and from office? A mile back road sprint?

Old 08-05-2018, 11:34 AM

Picture

Last edited by FType17; 08-05-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:43 AM

No wheel spacers (that's something I find idiotic) but I had the wheels custom made to include an extra 10mm of offset so it's like having 10mm spacers all around

Last edited by FType17; 08-05-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

In Texas, there are longer sweeping highway turns which you should be able to take at 70MPH. When I do so, the car rolls heavily to one side as opposed to staying planted and in place. When the car does roll, you can feel the abrupt weight transfer of the car to one side, and it's not the most pleasant thing.

How are you defining "everyday driving"? To and from office? A mile back road sprint?
if it’s lurching as you appear to be describing at just 70 in a sweeping turn, either you’re making the kind of direction changes at speed last seen during the Freeway scene in The Matrix Reloaded, or there’s something amiss.

Just a thought.

Last edited by F-typical; 08-05-2018 at 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-05-2018, 11:52 AM

Fills the back nicely in my opinion

Old 08-05-2018, 12:00 PM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

No wheel spacers (that's something I find idiotic) but I had the wheels custom made to include an extra 10mm of offset so it's like having 10mm spacers all around
Nice graphic. Where can I get one? Want it for my garage wall.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:06 PM

I made them. Will be selling some soon. It's a LOT easier to put them on a wall then the curves of the F-Type (was a nightmare to get them on perfectly and no bubbles). The actual full size is 2ft. high and has the entire leaper

Old 08-05-2018, 12:11 PM
Old 08-05-2018, 12:24 PM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Very creative. If you begin to market them, I would be interested but would prefer the entire Cat profile.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

That's the perfect drop. Looks killer. Thank you!

FType17 (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 08:37 PM

That's the perfect drop. Looks killer. Thank you!
Thank you! Hope it helps you make the best decision for your driving style

Old 08-06-2018, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I did not experience any perceptible difference in ride comfort when I installed the H&Rs.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:19 PM
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

unlike unhingd my ride was effected, the GF notes often on how much better it rode before the H&Rs. i like it, but after driving a shiny new 400 for a few hundred miles recently i must say mine rides rough. i would also not recommend the H&R spring unless that is what your looking for. On the positive they look great! The body roll is virtually eliminated and that will contribute to slightly more wheel spin in a strait line hard launch with less of it being "absorbed" in the chassis. i don't have the base suspension so my opinion is based on my V8S with active suspension.

Quick Reply: H&R Lowering Springs on Base F-Type