F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get pops and crackles

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 02:53 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
"Thank dawg for heated the steering wheel".
Massive dyslexia showing there, it must have been really cold!
Glad that someone got it, thanks Oz!

The following users liked this post:
OzXFR (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
2014 V8S

Cold engine - loud machine gun crackles all the time, even without feathering throttle
Warmed up but not driven hard - loud machine gun crackles all the time, even without feathering throttle
Driven hard - loud machine gun crackles all the time, even without feathering throttle
My V6S after KB patch

Cold engine start - doesn't always do a startup crackle
Cold engine driving - some crackles on overrun, never push cold engine
Warmed up but not driven hard - no crackles whatsoever
Driven hard - occasional crackles but have to set it up with overrun and use sport mode
Driven on track - no crackles unless transition into coasting, which never happens unless you happen to ride Miata's tail

So my V6S is probably the quietest (crackles) F-type out there. I wish it was louder, but it isn't that of a big deal. I am more concerned about go pedal working well.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:07 PM
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts

We can bring them back for you guys. This is an FPace, they get ZERO pops and crackles stock. With our tune it comes out:

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Burt Gummer (02-05-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 03:13 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
We can bring them back for you guys. This is an FPace, they get ZERO pops and crackles stock. With our tune it comes out:
I know you were able to get them in the F-Pace, but are there confirmations that they were RESTORED to those of us who had a V6S that was neutered in some manner.

In my instance, they claim that no changes to programming were done when the O2 sensors were changed. I get SOME crackles and pops in the 3-4K RPM band on a decel, but nothing noticeable otherwise (and nothing compared to what I had before the O2 sensor update). I would be interested in the tune IF there were some confirmation as it applied to the V6S (manual tranny if it makes a difference).

Old 06-13-2018, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue on deceleration as jamesv8s

Wondering what resolution was on valves closing on deceleration 4k-3k with valve bypass button on....not an issue in dynamic mode with bypass button on...Dealer is ordering entire exhaust system but I am convinced it is a residual issue of JTB00495 done two weeks ago...

Old 06-13-2018, 08:11 PM
Default Deceleration sound issue after JTB00495

Originally Posted by JeffreyB
Wondering what resolution was on valves closing on deceleration 4k-3k with valve bypass button on....not an issue in dynamic mode with bypass button on...Dealer is ordering entire exhaust system but I am convinced it is a residual issue of JTB00495 done two weeks ago...
Originally Posted by jamesv8s
This just made my day! Hahaha

Same here with the crackles
Did you get a satisfactory resolution...and if so what the heck was it...Seattle tech is throwing parts at what I think is software

Old 11-29-2018, 07:06 AM

Interesting, I just my 2016 f type and noticed that my exhaust button doesn't work and only works if I don't turn the car on, press the button, then turn the car on. Even then I rarely hey crackles and pops. When compared to all videos on YouTube I get none of that. Revving gives me a few of if I feather the throttle around 3-4K but nothing like how it's suppose to be. And I only get crackles and pops in dynamic mode on sport transmission randomly maybe about 15% of the time regardless of what I do. Downshifting gives no pops and crackles for me either. I'm wondering if the guy before me got the o2 sensors and if I need to tell Jaguar about this. Any advice?

Old 11-29-2018, 12:49 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Acalamito321
Interesting, I just my 2016 f type and noticed that my exhaust button doesn't work and only works if I don't turn the car on, press the button, then turn the car on. Even then I rarely hey crackles and pops. When compared to all videos on YouTube I get none of that. Revving gives me a few of if I feather the throttle around 3-4K but nothing like how it's suppose to be. And I only get crackles and pops in dynamic mode on sport transmission randomly maybe about 15% of the time regardless of what I do. Downshifting gives no pops and crackles for me either. I'm wondering if the guy before me got the o2 sensors and if I need to tell Jaguar about this. Any advice?
I really feel like I lost a lot of pop after I had the K309 service action a while back. I didn't ever do anything about it, but have recently had an aftermarket exhaust fitted (cat-back, from Velocity AP) and initial impressions are that the pops are back with a vengeance

Old 11-29-2018, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I was doing chemical intake cleaning and that resulted in running rich for a short time. Cracks and pops were fully back during that time. Unfortunately, as intake cleaner burned off it returned to quiet mode.

This tells me KB leaned it out and that what kills pops and cracks.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainHam
I really feel like I lost a lot of pop after I had the K309 service action a while back. I didn't ever do anything about it, but have recently had an aftermarket exhaust fitted (cat-back, from Velocity AP) and initial impressions are that the pops are back with a vengeance
Hmm so getting an exhaust fixes the problem? Because I was thinking of the quicksilver exhaust but I thought the problem was software related

Old 11-29-2018, 02:38 PM

Hmm so getting an exhaust fixes the problem? Because I was thinking of the quicksilver exhaust but I thought the problem was software related
The pops and crackles are caused by the software. We can either increase or decrease them with the ECU Tuning. However, leaving that aside, anything that makes the volume go up (like our VelocityAP exhaust systems or sport catalysts) will make whatever pops & crackles are already present less muffled so you will hear them more.

If you'd like an exhaust, or tune we have ours on sale for 25% off until close of play tomorrow.

www.velocityap.com

KarimEls (11-30-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

It's basically as Stuart says - whatever was there before is amplified more. I find that where it used to 'burble' previously on light throttle, those old burbles are now pops and crackles (and very easy to get), whereas the burbling that I have now was barely even audible before. And of course the old pops and crackles are still there but with added ferocity!

So basically everything is turned up a notch or two on the volume dial.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:15 PM

Hmm think imma pull the trigger on the quick silver exhaust

Old 12-05-2018, 07:43 PM

Hmm think imma pull the trigger on the quick silver exhaust
have you checked out our VelocityAP setups?

Old 12-06-2018, 06:58 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Stuart,
please do something for the poor 2.0L owners
I want to have the V6 exhaust tips in place of my big rectangle.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:23 AM

I have not yet but I will definitely look into it

Old 12-06-2018, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by VinceF-type
Hi Stuart,
please do something for the poor 2.0L owners
I want to have the V6 exhaust tips in place of my big rectangle.
Hi Vince,

We have a system for the V6 (several versions actually) which we believe will fit directly to the 2.0 FType. However, it's extraordinarily unlikely that we are going to see one here at our shop in order to verify this.

So really, we need someone to step up and do the test fitment. Have offered a pretty fair discount to anyone who would like to do this. Failing that we would need a 2.0L OEM system here to verify in our jigs.

I'm almost 100% sure the fit up will be correct.

www.velocityap.com

Old 12-06-2018, 10:54 AM

I have not yet but I will definitely look into it
Drop us a line at info@velocityap.com and we can run you through some of the options.

www.velocityap.com

Old 12-06-2018, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

+1. The VAP systems sound so much better (very harmonious). By comparison the Quicksilver exhaust is extremely raspy.

KarimEls (12-06-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 05:25 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Vince,

We have a system for the V6 (several versions actually) which we believe will fit directly to the 2.0 FType. However, it's extraordinarily unlikely that we are going to see one here at our shop in order to verify this.

So really, we need someone to step up and do the test fitment. Have offered a pretty fair discount to anyone who would like to do this. Failing that we would need a 2.0L OEM system here to verify in our jigs.

I'm almost 100% sure the fit up will be correct.
be certain that if I lived near you, I would do it without hesitation. I will wait until you check all that. thank you for your reply.

Quick Reply: How to get pops and crackles