F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much spare does the space take up in a coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 02:26 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Not the best perspective, but here's a pic of a '15 F-Type R with the spare tire kit sans cover. Though I didn't spring for the spare, I wanted to see how much space it took up in the trunk. Removal of the security shelf did give a little more room.

Attached Thumbnails How much spare does the space take up in a coupe?-spare-tire.jpeg  
Old 12-18-2015, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by deltagroup
Not the best perspective, but here's a pic of a '15 F-Type R with the spare tire kit sans cover. Though I didn't spring for the spare, I wanted to see how much space it took up in the trunk. Removal of the security shelf did give a little more room.
Now take that out of the trunk area, and try to place your full sized "pretend flat" wheel / tire in there...

Old 12-18-2015, 05:31 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
Hello!

I finally put a deposit down today on a new F-Type (celebratory thread to come once I've picked it up) and had decided I don't need the spare tire. Of course, tonight, in the rain, I get a flat in my old car. Having the spare and room to fit the damaged tire in the trunk was the difference between a really bad night and an utterly horrible night.

So, now I'm reconsidering the choice of not having the spare. For anyone that has one in a coupe, how much of the trunk space does it take up? Any pictures to give a sense of scale? And will the 20" wheel/tire fit in the trunk or am I just hosed if I get a flat with a passenger?

Thanks!
Forget it. If you have a flat, just call your butler and have him pick you up in the Rolls. That's what I would do.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:02 AM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
Certainly can't disagree with this logic. I'm just trying to game out what would have happened last night without a spare.

Late at night taking the sick GF home and tire goes out about 5 mi from her place. Not patchable. I suppose the answer would have been call AAA, have car towed to tire shop, summon uber to bring us to her house, summon second uber to take me home at the end of the night (because there's no way I'm trying to sleep in her twin size bed). Summon third uber to get me to the tire shop or rental car place today.

All things considered, I suppose that would be manageable, though less convenient than popping on the spare and driving myself.
I think uber appreciates the advert . But seriously, flats on well maintained tires are so rare for me, that the incremental cost and inconvenience is an acceptable trade off IMHO. In the last thirty years, I've learned that distinct "oops, I just ran over something and it's still in my tire" sound so I can usually get where I need before a mere puncture becomes a flat.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Lookout!
I think uber appreciates the advert . But seriously, flats on well maintained tires are so rare for me, that the incremental cost and inconvenience is an acceptable trade off IMHO. In the last thirty years, I've learned that distinct "oops, I just ran over something and it's still in my tire" sound so I can usually get where I need before a mere puncture becomes a flat.
Besides, the OEM inflator/goo kit was designed for exactly those circumstances.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:08 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Lookout!
Same here. Also with TPMS you always have a lead warning that you are losing pressure.

In my case either:
1) I see TPMS warning and redirect to nearest tire shop for a patch
2) My car wash guy tells me I have a nail in my tire and I go to a tire shop for a patch before I even lose any pressure.

Never had a sudden blowout ever. My tire are always well maintained, correctly pressured, and I replace them at 4/32.

Old 12-20-2015, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Never had a sudden blowout ever. My tire are always well maintained, correctly pressured, and I replace them at 4/32.
Just drive a bit longer (and in colder climates). Ever hear about potholes? Sudden total flats (and the occasional broken wheel).

Old 12-20-2015, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Well, it "can" get a little "exciting". You need to be getting a move on though.

That said. A colleague did the full "Pinball Wizard" on the M4 a few years ago.

Off work for a coupe of weeks due to a combination of whiplash and belt/airbag bruises.

12 month old car written off in the process...

Old 12-21-2015, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Well, it "can" get a little "exciting". You need to be getting a move on though.

That said. A colleague did the full "Pinball Wizard" on the M4 a few years ago.

Off work for a coupe of weeks due to a combination of whiplash and belt/airbag bruises.

12 month old car written off in the process...
That is not a nice experience...

However I don't think a spare tire in the boot would kept him going though