F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to oil change? Do f-types have oil % indicator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 06:16 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,078 Likes on 1,380 Posts

This tells how to switch the electronic dipstick to instant-read mode.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ncfhyazedn...ng%29.pdf?dl=0

Old 05-05-2019, 06:55 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not sure if this has already been mentioned in the thread (sorry if it has), but here is how I did an oil change on the F-R. It's the easiest oil change I have done in the last 15 cars I have owned.

Jaguar actually provides a fitting inside the oil fill cap to suck the oil out. Connect the pneumatic (or manual) mitivac hose to it and suck it out. Then the oil filter is right on top on the other side - I used an adjustable filter wrench I have, there is a thread on here where unhingd posted part number for a Jaguar specific wrench. Refill with 0-20W of your choice and its all done. Resetting the oil reminder procedure here: https://www.ftypeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=324

Old 05-05-2019, 07:55 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
This tells how to switch the electronic dipstick to instant-read mode.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ncfhyazedn...ng%29.pdf?dl=0
Yes, that's so much simpler than a dipstick--NOT!

Old 05-05-2019, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

I was at a car show yesterday, and it seems as if the owners of other late-model Jags think that the oil sump drain plug doesn't exist on F-Types!

Old 05-05-2019, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
I was at a car show yesterday, and it seems as if the owners of other late-model Jags think that the oil sump drain plug doesn't exist on F-Types!
It certainly exists, but might as well not given the hassle of getting to it.

Old 05-05-2019, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
It certainly exists
And that o-ring is not forever. Jag recommends replacing it.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

First: I have a 4-post lift in my garage (I've posted pics before). So, maintenance access to the bottom is easy. (Not to rub it in, LOL)

Six bolts, piece 'o cake. Then, the sump bolt.

+++++++++++++++

I drained the oil via the sump when I first got the car (like others, the fluid pump I bought had the wrong size tubing). Checked twice afterwards, and no leaks or seepage from the sump bolt o-ring. ( I have a kit of nitrile o-rings if I see any drip.)

Besides, when I do oil changes, I like to inspect underneath, and treat the rubber bits with spray silicone...and lubricate other things (like ball joints). Gotta do SOMETHING besides this whilst the oil is dripping out all the way.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:06 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,396 Likes on 1,061 Posts

My local independent likes to drain properly, too. But there seemed to be a lot more than 6 bolts holding the floor pan on!

Old 05-05-2019, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,135 Likes on 2,310 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
My local independent likes to drain properly, too. But there seemed to be a lot more than 6 bolts holding the floor pan on!
Last time I changed the oil on the F-Type (back in Jan 2019) I removed both the front undertray and the smaller one behind it, because I have always done it that way and I was changing the air filters at the same time so the front tray (20 or so bolts!) had to come off anyway.
But this has got me thinking, maybe the second tray (behind the front one) is all that needs to come off as that is the tray that covers the sump plug, and not the front tray.
I'm guessing the second tray can easily be removed by itself and maybe only a couple of bolts at the rear of the front tray (where the two trays overlap) need to be removed?

Old 05-06-2019, 04:30 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,396 Likes on 1,061 Posts

When my indie removed the tray it looked like it was just one big one. Maybe different on an MY18 V8?

Old 05-06-2019, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
When my indie removed the tray it looked like it was just one big one. Maybe different on an MY18 V8?
I may have misdescribed the two trays, the front one is wide but short while the rear one is longer but skinnier. By surface area the rear one is probably bigger so it is probably the "big" one you refer to.
Unless someone comes up with a definitive answer in the meantime when my next oil change comes due in about 10 weeks' time I will see if I can remove just the rear tray by itself to access the sump plug.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:26 PM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I may have misdescribed the two trays, the front one is wide but short while the rear one is longer but skinnier. By surface area the rear one is probably bigger so it is probably the "big" one you refer to.
Unless someone comes up with a definitive answer in the meantime when my next oil change comes due in about 10 weeks' time I will see if I can remove just the rear tray by itself to access the sump plug.
Once I start doing my own oil changes, I'll be having whichever tray needs to come off and popping a 1.5'' holesaw through it so that you can access the sump plug without taking the tray off if I can.

I have some soft rubber bung blanks that can fill the hole afterwards.

Should save a lot of fannying around.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tel
Once I start doing my own oil changes, I'll be having whichever tray needs to come off and popping a 1.5'' holesaw through it so that you can access the sump plug without taking the tray off if I can.

I have some soft rubber bung blanks that can fill the hole afterwards.

Should save a lot of fannying around.
One problem with that idea, the plug is on the side of the sump not the bottom, about 2 cm up from the bottom of the sump.
So you would need to cut a much larger hole than 1.5" diameter to fit a wrench through, and bigger again to fit your hand / fingers through to do the plug up finger tight before putting a wrench on it. And then figure out a way to securely cover the hole.
I know of a few cars which have a small rectangular cut out / flap in the under-tray which you remove to access either the sump plug or the oil filter or both, but those flaps are held on with screws/bolts and are fairly large, at least 8 cm by 10 cm.
It would be great if someone could design such a mod for the F-Type under-tray.
Maybe cut a circular hole say 12 cm in diameter then trim maybe 2 mm around the edge and use an 11.8 cm internal diameter grommet with nice big "lips" on it?
Just thinking out loud, I have no idea if that could work!

Edit - maybe one of these: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Set-of-2...frcectupt=true
Although I suspect the required hole size of 4" would be a tight squeeze for some to fit hand/fingers through.

Last edited by OzXFR; 05-06-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member

The 'big one' under the engine itself is the cover that must be removed. NOT the wide one farther forward, that covers the engine air filters.

It has three fasteners on each side, four bolts and two nuts. There are two bolts on the forward tray, that can be loosened to make sliding the cover out easier.

One other thing: You need to flex the 'sides' of the cover away from the stuff they 'embrace'. Don't force it.

All in all, I think it's a doddle.

PS, my friend with a '15 V8 had issues with tube fitment on his extraction pump as well, so we drained his through the sump plug too.

Blasphemy?

The following users liked this post:
OzXFR (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

XXAARRAA's second pic makes me nervous. Any sitting open hole to an engine reminds me of the time I dropped a tiny nut into my carb in my '71 Firebird. Geezus that was awful - car was running.

My Ftype finally gave my its approval of my oil level. I will try that 2-times CC cancel trick also - thanks for that .....

Picked up a dozen quarts of Castro 0-20w and a MityVac unit for down the road.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
XXAARRAA's second pic makes me nervous. Any sitting open hole to an engine reminds me of the time I dropped a tiny nut into my carb in my '71 Firebird. Geezus that was awful - car was running.

My Ftype finally gave my its approval of my oil level. I will try that 2-times CC cancel trick also - thanks for that .....

Picked up a dozen quarts of Castro 0-20w and a MityVac unit for down the road.
Yep, I am extra careful every time I take the oil filler cap off not to drop anything in there (other than fresh oil of course!).
Which is tough for me as I am the clumsiest character on the planet.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (05-07-2019)