F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If it weren't for the F-Type what would you have bought?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,655 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by ApolloBeachRetiree
Here is the coupe I owned for about 7 years. 427/435, M21 Close ratio gearbox, 4:11 posi rear - a rocketship.

The silver one above was just an example. Yours is even sweeter. I love the color.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:20 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
The silver one above was just an example. Yours is even sweeter. I love the color.
Thanks, I was sorry to see it go. I saw it sell at Barrett Jackson West Palm(I think it was West Palm) in 2006 for 3 times what I got for it. Oh, well.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:32 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 928 Likes on 607 Posts

Looking at a McLaren MP4 12c Spider to replace my SLK 55 AMG. I would consider the F-type if it had a had top convertible. Will know on the McLaren early January. The MP4 12c has fallen in price considerably since the 650S came out.

Last edited by DGL; 12-20-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,027 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
Looking at a McLaren MP4 12c Spider to replace my SLK 55 AMG. I would consider the F-type if it had a had top convertible. Will know on the McLaren early January.
Have you driven the F-Type convertible? The top is incredibly well-insulated, and it's very much as if it is a hard top. When inside, even the headliner looks like you're in a hardtop, and there is no visible hardware.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I also love spiders/spyders but not convertibles. I guess I want the looks of a coupe but the open top on nice days. The 12C prices have dropped quite a bit. Can basically get one (used) for price of a (new) loaded 911. OTOH, 458 prices seem to keep going up

Old 12-21-2014, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Have you driven the F-Type convertible? The top is incredibly well-insulated, and it's very much as if it is a hard top. When inside, even the headliner looks like you're in a hardtop, and there is no visible hardware.
Foosh,
I agree that the F-Type Convertible top is every bit as solid (and sound insulating) as any hard-top convertible I've been in. Is the F-type top truly soft, or just canvas covered panels to emulate an old ragtop?

Old 12-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,027 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Foosh,
I agree that the F-Type Convertible top is every bit as solid (and sound insulating) as any hard-top convertible I've been in. Is the F-type top truly soft, or just canvas covered panels to emulate an old ragtop?
It's the latter and a very substantial structure.

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 11:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I was not in the market. I was driving back home one day and an F-Type passed me going the other way. I got home and told my wife that I was heading to the Jag dealer immediately. 3 days later I was the happy owner of a Salsa Red F-Type R! Love everything about the car except the weight. I just wish it was 500 pounds lighter. I am sure one day I am going to strip one down as a track rat. The thought crosses my mind every time I drive it.

F-TypeRookie (12-22-2014)
Old 01-03-2015, 10:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm coming from 911 c2s and while I love the car I want to try something different. I considered the z06 but I feel it's too flashy for me. I also don't want people trying to race me every time I'm enjoying a drive home. I'm debating between the two cars I consider too be the best looking available: F type v8 convertible, or aston martin v8 vantage roadster or vantage GT.
My car will be a daily driver so driving in traffic I want an automatic transmission. This makes me think the AM may not be a great choice since I've heard the manual is fun but automatic transmission is not very good. Also the interior seems really outdated and I think i'd miss some of the nice features in the jag.
Any thoughts?

Old 01-03-2015, 11:55 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by oclakerfan
I'm coming from 911 c2s and while I love the car I want to try something different. I considered the z06 but I feel it's too flashy for me. I also don't want people trying to race me every time I'm enjoying a drive home. I'm debating between the two cars I consider too be the best looking available: F type v8 convertible, or aston martin v8 vantage roadster or vantage GT.
My car will be a daily driver so driving in traffic I want an automatic transmission. This makes me think the AM may not be a great choice since I've heard the manual is fun but automatic transmission is not very good. Also the interior seems really outdated and I think i'd miss some of the nice features in the jag.
Any thoughts?
I looked really hard at two Vantage S cars when I was shopping, one roadster and one coupe, one with the 6 speed manual and one with the Sportshift. The latest generation Sportshift is better than the old one, but it's still basically terrible. The ZF auto in the F Type is a massively better transmission. The 6 speed in the Aston wasn't bad, but I didn't think it was as effective as the 6 speed in my 997. I posted in another thread on this topic, but if you can look past the stronger Aston brand and (arguably) the stronger Aston design, the V8 Vantage simply isn't nearly as accomplished a car as the F Type.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,595 Likes on 858 Posts

While not exactly on topic - as I not only wasn't considering it but, for the most part, unaware of it - I recently sent a close friend of mine a picture or two of my F-Type and he, in turn, sent me pictures (and a short video shot at a track) of his father and his Lexus LFA. Needless to say when I Googled it was a bit shocked to learn:

1) It's around $375,000

and

2) My friend's 70+ year old dad owns one

Old 01-04-2015, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WayneB
... it followed me home that same day. That's the way cats are, right?
Yes, they adopt you, not the other way around.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

My short list was:
- Audi R8 V10
- Audi RS7
- S63 AMG Coupe
- Porsche Cayman S
- Ferrari California

Old 01-04-2015, 08:10 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally I was looking at a new M4, C7/Z51/3LT or slightly used 991s. For months I kept going back and forth between the M4 and C7. I knew the C7 has some minor quality build issues and the dealerships are not very customer orientated. However with the credit union discounts and modifiability, you couldn’t argue the bang for the buck factor. I also did not think I was a “vette person” and couldn’t see myself driving something so flashy. Now you might say the F Type is also flashy, but I consider it more sexy than flashy. Then there’s the 2 seat vs 4 seat argument for a daily driver. I rarely have passengers so I wondered if I could get by with a 2 seater.
The M4 sounded like the most reasonable choice with four seats, decent fuel mileage and good cargo capacity. The new M4 price quotes I received were not impressive, even with European delivery. As familiar as I am with BMW, I do not like the atmosphere currently at the m4 message boards. The boards have taken a boy racer/ricerish tone. I can’t get over the exhaust note and wonder how long before they start bragging about blow off valve modifications. I guess I’m just getting old….LOL. I recognized a few screen names here from the BMW boards. I had an E92 M3 with 144,000 miles and it was the most reliable car I have ever owned. I monitored the oil analysis regularly and did all my own maintenance.
I did see a slightly used 2014 sapphire blue 991s with matching blue trim, which is very rare in the sea of white, grey and black Porsches. I saw it on auto trader as a trade in to a Ranger Rover dealership for a reasonable price. Then it disappeared only to reappear at the local Porsche dealership marked up another $15K, that’s when I found the F Type R.
I scheduled an appointment to look at the blue F Type R and that was all she wrote. Never did manage to test drive any of the other cars but I don’t think I’m missing anything. Sorry for the long post, I’m on my third cup of strong coffee.

Foosh (01-04-2015)