F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lighting on "oh shit" passenger handle on Premium Base 2016?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts
Default Lighting on "oh ****" passenger handle on Premium Base 2016?

Hi all,

Was changing out the footwell bulbs for LED and whilst I was squirming around on the passenger footwell I noticed it looked like an LED bar on the bottom of the passenger reassurance handle (!).

I don't see these lit at any time I can determine, I thought Cambo (?) or someone may have speculated they are actually wired LED rather than just a clear piece of plastic trim but I guess without the ambient package from the V6S there's no way to enable them with the other cabin lighting ? Or would a CCF tweak work on the Premium Base ?

Old 04-27-2017, 10:38 PM
Received 390 Likes on 207 Posts

There was a thread I started awhile back. Base cars should have the standard blue lighting under the grab handle on the dash and immediately above the Meridian logo on the door speakers. Long story short, I had it resolved and all is working now..

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
I'm trying to figure out if BASE cars have some sort of interior mood lighting. As of now, only the door latch handles have the blue light lit. Like this:

But when looking under the area directly above the "Meridian" logo, I saw a clear plastic strip with lighting diffusers and what appeared to be an LED. Same as the passenger grab handle on the dash.

So technically if the LED lights on door latch handle and the area above the "Meridian" logo were both lit, it should look like this along with the passenger grab handle on the dash.

Here is where the plot thickens. A quick look at a parts diagram online shows theres TWO different lighting options. One has a SINGLE LED which I'm assuming is the blue. The second option is a DUAL LED which I assume is for the cars equipped with the "Configurable" option. This leads me to believe that those with BASE cars should have all the areas of concern light up with the blue. On the diagram its #8. And for whatever reason, the dual LED is cheaper. lol

When you guys can, can you confirm whether or those areas are lighting up? And if not, can guys peek under the handles and see if there is that clear strip as I have shown in the above photos?

When replying, please say what model and if you have the configurable or non.

Thanks all!

Last edited by WhiteTardis; 04-27-2017 at 10:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jaguny (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 05:31 AM
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

BTW the technical term is "Jesus Bar"

mbelanger (04-08-2021)
Old 04-28-2017, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member

I don't have the Jesus Bar lit when the door handles do ;-)

"Long story short, I had it resolved and all is working now.. " - what was the resolution path ? Car is booked into the dealer in a couple of weeks for annual service so if I need to add something to the todo list...

Old 04-28-2017, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a base 2017. It has the led bar installed but they do not light up

Old 04-28-2017, 05:23 PM
Received 390 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
I don't have the Jesus Bar lit when the door handles do ;-)

"Long story short, I had it resolved and all is working now.. " - what was the resolution path ? Car is booked into the dealer in a couple of weeks for annual service so if I need to add something to the todo list...
It turns out that the CJB (Central Junction Box) needed to be replaced as it was not outputting the correct voltage to power the light strips. I went specifically to the same dealer that fixed the same concern on another owners car even though that dealer is 2 hours away from me. If you need my repair order, I'll be happy to forward you the details so that you don't get the run around. Although keep in mind, on my car, it was all 3 lighting strips that weren't lighting up.

Last edited by WhiteTardis; 04-28-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member

So to give my dealer their due, they came to a similar conclusion - they tested the light bars by directly lighting them somehow and concluded the CJB was not putting anything out (I too was dark above the speakers). They opened a warranty case up the Jaguar so we'll see how that goes. I had them button everything back up and reclaimed the car as I already had withdrawl symptoms. Interestingly they said the build sheet showed ambient lighting and they think the LEDs are dual colour....

Old 06-03-2017, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

Well after having my car for two days and hearing nothing I called in to my service advisor for an update after noticing the car remained locked and alarmed for an entire day.

Guess the CJB either wasn't the (entire) cause or something else came to light - they have replaced the battery and ordered a new BCM which is due in on Monday. I did have a couple of sporadic "no key found" messages so I don't know if replacing the CJB killed the keys or what as the tech was off today.

The things we endure for some blue LED cabin lights...

The loaner this time is a Range Rover Evoque. I think I prefer the Land Rover Disco Sport though. Still working on getting the British Design F on the next service visit ;-)

Old 06-06-2017, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

For anybody going down this path, the part number they replaced (twice) was T2R22215 - I think the terms BCM and CJB here are interchangeable. The first new part fixed the lighting problem but wouldn't operate the fuel pump properly so the car would start and shut off. Second time round got a working one.

Except that now the car has forgotten it just got serviced and is telling me a service is required.

Coffee stop at the dealer in the next couple of days I guess....I told my service advisor not to take it personally but I hope I don't see him for another year after that ;-)

Old 06-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
For anybody going down this path, the part number they replaced (twice) was T2R22215 - I think the terms BCM and CJB here are interchangeable. The first new part fixed the lighting problem but wouldn't operate the fuel pump properly so the car would start and shut off. Second time round got a working one.

Except that now the car has forgotten it just got serviced and is telling me a service is required.

Coffee stop at the dealer in the next couple of days I guess....I told my service advisor not to take it personally but I hope I don't see him for another year after that ;-)
To reset the service indicator try this:
1. turn on ignition (foot off brake so engine doesn't start).
2. open the bonnet and the driver's door.
3. stand on the brake AND throttle for 15 seconds.
4. turn off ignition.

I saw this somewhere, but haven't had the opportunity to confirm.

stmcknig (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 02:11 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts
stmcknig (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks fellas that worked a treat...

Old 06-19-2017, 04:00 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Took my 2016 Coupe (Base) back to the dealer to have the unlit grab and door handle LEDs issue looked at. I mentioned that the CJB proved to be the issue in at least one other case. After several days of them (they explained) getting "weird voltage readings" and going back and forth with the UK, the service advisor came back and said they finally figured out that my car was not set up for the ambient interior lighting option and therefore it couldn't be made to work.

stmcknig, the reason I pursued this was that I thought my car is the same as yours but see you list yours as a 2016 Premium Coupe. I thought the "Premium" designation started with 2017 models, where both Base and Premium Base versions below the S were available. Am I wrong?

Last edited by Jim F; 06-19-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know when the Premium designation came in but I think the key thing was that the dealer ran my VIN (you can do the same through Topix) and see if "ambient lighting" is listed on the options. On mine it was and although it doesn't have the funky colour change option like the "S", it should light up blue if you have it on the options list. To confirm, Stealth mode turns it all off. In my case the tech said he tested the lighting as working by powering it separately but the CJB output was zero. He opened up a case with Jaguar (I can probably find that number if you need it) and they agreed replace the CJB. Unfortunately I had a dud replacement in that the LEDs came on but the fuel pump declined to stay running which wasn't really a great trade off, so they had a second CJB overnighted and then I got my fuel pump and LED stuff ;-)

And as far as not getting it to work, I'm fairly sure if someone in an independent Jag shop who has access to the SDD program would look at your Car Configuration File they could flip the switch on for the ambient lighting option.

-Stuart

Last edited by stmcknig; 06-19-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:20 PM

Ok thanks and appreciate the independent Jag shop suggestion. I'm registered in TOPIx but don't see a path to get that Features/Minor Features readout you show above, though.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

Once you are logged into Topix and have entered your VIN, hit one of the icons highlighted in red...

Old 06-19-2017, 07:42 PM

Got it. Thanks again. Ambient lighting is listed so need to decide what to do next. I might need your escalation case number.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Don't get too excited just yet, I have found the TOPIx build sheets to be quite unreliable.
On all three of my Jags, 2010 XFS, 2010 XFR and 2014 F-Type they listed things/options they didn't have and didn't list things/options they did have. Not many but enough to cause some head scratching.

Old 07-01-2017, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Having read this thread, I'm happy to report that after nearly three years of ownership I had never looked down to check?

Oh Sh*t handle fully illuminated as it turns out.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A Late Addition

I am the new owner of a low-mileage 2017 F-Type Premium Coupe. My vehicle did not have illumination under the grab handle or above the the speakers on the doors; the door handles were illuminated.

Thanks to this thread, I checked Topix to confirm that ambient lighting was listed before taking it to my dealership. The technician did agree that my vehicle should have the lighting and repaired it in a day.

My technician found that there was no voltage coming from the corresponding output of the CJB, however my issue was resolved by either updating the Car Configuration File or performing a software update on the CJB (the notes mentioned both actions were taken by were not quite clear as to which one of those solved the problem).

Carbuff2 (03-05-2019)

Quick Reply: Lighting on "oh shit" passenger handle on Premium Base 2016?