Default Locked out

10 pm and I am locked out of my car.
Both key fobs not working.
Waiting to call dealer in am.
Any ideas on what is wrong ?

Old 11-28-2018, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Physical key in the fob should still work, but I haven't tried it myself.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Magical (11-29-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 09:22 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

cannot find key on fob

Old 11-28-2018, 09:31 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Slide Chrome Jaguar cover up, then pop out. Manual key slides out. Reverse procedure to replace.

Magical (11-29-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 10:06 PM

Thank You ! Was able to get in car and start. Mirrors did not open out and it says re-position smart ( dumb ) key and start.
Well, it got my car home and I thank you guys.

After positioning key fob, it did not work.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:04 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default locked out - battery dead

I was wondering, when the battery is dead and you get in using the physical key, how do you manage to open the electrical operated trunk for recharging the battery which is in there?

Last edited by dirk_BE; 11-29-2018 at 12:05 AM. Reason: email notification
Old 11-29-2018, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by dirk_BE
I was wondering, when the battery is dead and you get in using the physical key, how do you manage to open the electrical operated trunk for recharging the battery which is in there?
you don’t. You use the charge points under the bonnet/hood.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Magical
Thank You ! Was able to get in car and start. Mirrors did not open out and it says re-position smart ( dumb ) key and start.
Well, it got my car home and I thank you guys.

After positioning key fob, it did not work.
How did it work?
I have tested the manual key and yes I could push it into the slot under the door handle, but only if the car was already unlocked and the door handle was "sprung" and could be used to open the door anyway. Inserting the key and turning it did nothing!
What has always intrigued me is how do you access that key slot if the car is locked and the battery is flat?
Coz when the car is locked the door handle is shut tight, and pressing on the button to spring the door handle open obviously takes battery power!
Or does the door handle magically spring open once the battery goes flat?
But that makes no sense either, as once the door handle is sprung you can open the door without any battery power, it's purely mechanical!
I'm obviously missing something here and I don't usually exhibit symptoms of being thick as two short planks, but enquiring minds would like to know!

Old 11-29-2018, 06:41 AM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
How did it work?
I have tested the manual key and yes I could push it into the slot under the door handle, but only if the car was already unlocked and the door handle was "sprung" and could be used to open the door anyway. Inserting the key and turning it did nothing!
What has always intrigued me is how do you access that key slot if the car is locked and the battery is flat?
Coz when the car is locked the door handle is shut tight, and pressing on the button to spring the door handle open obviously takes battery power!
Or does the door handle magically spring open once the battery goes flat?
But that makes no sense either, as once the door handle is sprung you can open the door without any battery power, it's purely mechanical!
I'm obviously missing something here and I don't usually exhibit symptoms of being thick as two short planks, but enquiring minds would like to know!
Looks as if you can pull the handle open to insert the key. How you then start the car if the key fob is dead is another question. I keep a replacement battery in the armrest.
This from the info site...
Emergency door unlock: If the smart key and keyless entry fail to open the vehicle, insert the key blade into the slot behind the driver's door handle. Pull and hold the handle for access.

To unlock, turn the key blade towards the front of the vehicle and release.

NOTESThe alarm sounds until the smart key unlock button is pressed or the smart key is positioned correctly inside the vehicle. See KEYLESS START BACKUP.

Last edited by malbec; 11-29-2018 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:09 AM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by malbec

NOTESThe alarm sounds until the smart key unlock button is pressed or the smart key is positioned correctly inside the vehicle. See KEYLESS START BACKUP.

I set the alarm off once by accident and it must've taken me ten minutes of fumbling with various buttons on the key and holding it in that "correct position" under the dash before the stupid thing would shut up. So embarrassing. I still don't know what combination of things worked to make it stop. On the few occasions when the car wouldn't immediately start up, the manual tells us to hold the key in that same spot, but I don't see that it does anything to help the car recognize the key. The key doesn't seem to be recognized until you actually get inside the car and have it in your pocket or in the cup holder.

Side note just so I know for future reference: What is the safest method of prying the door handle open without damaging the paint?

Last edited by WJV; 11-29-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:46 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by WJV
I set the alarm off once by accident and it must've taken me ten minutes of fumbling with various buttons on the key and holding it in that "correct position" under the dash before the stupid thing would shut up. So embarrassing. I still don't know what combination of things worked to make it stop. On the few occasions when the car wouldn't immediately start up, the manual tells us to hold the key in that same spot, but I don't see that it does anything to help the car recognize the key. The key doesn't seem to be recognized until you actually get inside the car and have it in your pocket or in the cup holder.

Side note just so I know for future reference: What is the safest method of prying the door handle open without damaging the paint?
push the front portion of the handle in. The hinge is roughly in the middle, so pushing the front in pops the back out.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:13 AM

Lots of questions of what to do ! OR the next time it happens???
Was able to get the manual key out of the FOB. Took about 10 minutes to get it to turn. And yes, you can push the door handle to open then insert key. Because the manual key is not used frequently, lots of grime accumulates in the key slot. And yes, the alarm is going off the entire time...that's always fun when all the neighbors are coming out in the middle of the night.
I was lucky enough that the car somehow started, but spooky things were happening . Mirrors would not open out, headlights seemed to blink on and off.
When I got the car home, I shut the car off. The dashboard said re-position the key FOB. That did not work. Car would not start.
Called dealership, they said probably a communication error which no error came up on dash. Now it got towed to dealer.

NOTE: only preventative measure I can think of at the moment is every once and a while, try the manual key to make sure it works when the FOB does not get you in.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:27 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

You might try charging the battery. Also, if you've never changed batteries in the fobs, I'd change both now. I replaced mine this spring, when one of them stopped working.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Even if something is preventing the fob from being detected, placing it right next to the sensor pad (under left side of dash, lhd cars) somehow enables the ignition to be started. I had the issue with the fob not working and it turned out to be a bad remote module.

Magical (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

With traditional keyswitch ignition, the transponder in the key is "powered" by an induction loop in the key barrel surround so you can start the car even if your fob battery is dead. I suspect the same is true then in our F-Types...the sensor pad has an induction loop to power the response from the transponder in the key...

The following 2 users liked this post by stmcknig:
Magical (11-29-2018), malbec (11-30-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stmcknig
With traditional keyswitch ignition, the transponder in the key is "powered" by an induction loop in the key barrel surround so you can start the car even if your fob battery is dead. I suspect the same is true then in our F-Types...the sensor pad has an induction loop to power the response from the transponder in the key...
Yeah...that.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:56 AM

UPDATE
Ok, the car is at the dealership for service.
"Q" was close, not a bad remote module, but a software update. If the module goes bad, then they will replace it.

When I get the car back, I will let you know the software update # for everyone's reference.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:33 AM

UPDATE: SERVICE BULLETIN ON KEY FOB
It was a software update for the remote module
JTB00357

Just a note - try your key blade on your remote once in awhile to insure you can get in the car in case your remote fails for whatever reason !

The following 3 users liked this post by Magical:
Carbuff2 (12-03-2018), malbec (12-03-2018), Norri (12-03-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 10:12 AM

THE SAGA CONTINUES ( insert Star Wars Theme here )

"Q"
( Unhingd ) you maybe correct !
Went to get in my car again this am, would not let me in again.
Towed to the dealership...again.
Now they are going to replace the Remote module. &^%%%#^**(

Old 12-06-2018, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Magical
THE SAGA CONTINUES ( insert Star Wars Theme here )

"Q"
( Unhingd ) you maybe correct !
Went to get in my car again this am, would not let me in again.
Towed to the dealership...again.
Now they are going to replace the Remote module. &^%%%#^**(
Even a broken clock is right at least twice a day.

Quick Reply: Locked out