F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polaris white R: powder coat Gyrodynes or swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 04:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Polaris white R: powder coat Gyrodynes or swap?

As posted in my first pics thread my preferred black Cyclone wheels couldn't be ordered on the 2016 R so I'm left with a dilemma.

When I test drove a white '15 R that had the black Cyclone wheels in early Spring, right next to it waiting to be delivered was an IRR '16 R with diamond Gyrodynes. I really like the diamond Gyros and they would be my first choice on many F Type colours but seeing them side by side I preferred the look of the black Cyclones on Polaris with black pack. Link to high resolution pics of black Cyclones on Polaris. The salesman suggested I stick with the stock silver Gyros and they could have them painted gloss black. I agreed and figured I had a few months to figure it out.

In the meantime, reading many threads on this forum, I learned that many had changed their wheels and a few takeoffs suppliers kept popping up. I figured I would sell my silver Gyros, buy my preferred black Cyclones and Jag's weird wheel options cutback would be forgotten. Told the dealer to cancel the wheel paint, I'd source my own replacement wheels.

Finding a like new set of black Cyclones for a reasonable price hasn't been easy. I know one of the forum's advertisers has a set but there are issues with them and working out the logistics hasn't been easy.

To make things worse, on its first wash last Friday, the washers noticed a scratch on my rear right wheel(see picture below). I have no idea how it happened, maybe a pothole? It's small but still, wheels can't be called like new anymore and will either have to be repaired or discounted a little.

Since finding out about the small scratch I'm wondering if I shouldn't just have the Gyros powder coated gloss black since it would also fix the scratch at no or very little cost. I do like the design of the Gyros, just don't like the finish's colour and lack of contrast with the white body. I've never had wheels painted or powder coated before, found a few local recommendations online, cost seems reasonable($400-500).

Figured I would ask for opinions on the forum. Obviously wheels like colours are personal choices but I've tried to spell out what my preferences are, more looking for poster's experiences or issues I might not be considering.

If anyone is interested in a set of silver 20" Gyrodynes with or without tires, please PM me.

Attached Thumbnails Polaris white R: powder coat Gyrodynes or swap?-024.jpg   Polaris white R: powder coat Gyrodynes or swap?-076.jpg   Polaris white R: powder coat Gyrodynes or swap?-082.jpg  

Last edited by Goldorak; 08-11-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:36 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Powder coat them! Probably the least amount of hassle and the results should be top notch.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (02-16-2019)
Old 08-11-2015, 05:05 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Also, be sure to use an automotive powder coating company, not industrial. The temperature at which the powder coat is baked is important.

Alloy wheels require a lower baking point than most industrial applications, as higher baking temps will fatigue the metal and cause premature failure. Below 350 degrees is imperative, and if I recall correctly 310 degrees is the optimum.

FWIW - I looked into powder coating my factory wheels, and was quoted $600-$900 for the set by automotive powder coat companies. I decided to just purchase a new set of wheels, as I could sell those later and recoup the difference in cost. It also affords me a mint set of factory wheels when I turn it in at the end of my lease.

Last edited by BierNut; 08-11-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:15 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldorak
As posted in my first pics thread my preferred black Cyclone wheels couldn't be ordered on the 2016 R so I'm left with a dilemma.

When I test drove a white '15 R that had the black Cyclone wheels in early Spring, right next to it waiting to be delivered was an IRR '16 R with diamond Gyrodynes. I really like the diamond Gyros and they would be my first choice on many F Type colours but seeing them side by side I preferred the look of the black Cyclones on Polaris with black pack. Link to high resolution pics of black Cyclones on Polaris. The salesman suggested I stick with the stock silver Gyros and they could have them painted gloss black. I agreed and figured I had a few months to figure it out.

In the meantime, reading many threads on this forum, I learned that many had changed their wheels and a few takeoffs suppliers kept popping up. I figured I would sell my silver Gyros, buy my preferred black Cyclones and Jag's weird wheel options cutback would be forgotten. Told the dealer to cancel the wheel paint, I'd source my own replacement wheels.

Finding a like new set of black Cyclones for a reasonable price hasn't been easy. I know one of the forum's advertisers has a set but there are issues with them and working out the logistics hasn't been easy.

To make things worse, on its first wash last Friday, the washers noticed a scratch on my rear right wheel(see picture below). I have no idea how it happened, maybe a pothole? It's small but still, wheels can't be called like new anymore and will either have to be repaired or discounted a little.

Since finding out about the small scratch I'm wondering if I shouldn't just have the Gyros powder coated gloss black since it would also fix the scratch at no or very little cost. I do like the design of the Gyros, just don't like the finish's colour and lack of contrast with the white body. I've never had wheels painted or powder coated before, found a few local recommendations online, cost seems reasonable($400-500).

Figured I would ask for opinions on the forum. Obviously wheels like colours are personal choices but I've tried to spell out what my preferences are, more looking for poster's experiences or issues I might not be considering.

If anyone is interested in a set of silver 20" Gyrodynes with or without tires, please PM me.
u

You can get Cyclones for approx 500 each from midwestwheelandtire.com. You will need TPMS sensors (or use the ones you have). I am sure you could sell the gyrodynes for that and come out even). Scratch in existing wheel can be fixed inexpensively.

Last edited by mshedden; 08-11-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
You can get Cyclones for approx 500 each from midwestwheelandtire.com. You will need TPMS sensors (or use the ones you have). I am sure you could sell the gyrodynes for that and come out even). Scratch in existing wheel can be fixed inexpensively.
I've spoken to them on a couple of occasions, they don't have any. They do have some reconditioned Storms if anyone is interested, also listed on ebay.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I'm probably going to get my black diamond tuned gyrodines painted in the near future. Not sure what benefit powder coating over painting is...just seems like painting is easier?

Old 08-11-2015, 10:22 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I've spoken to them on a couple of occasions, they don't have any. They do have some reconditioned Storms if anyone is interested, also listed on ebay.
Darn it - they should advertise what they have in stock! Any how here's a pic of gyrodynes done in black chrome - will look good in black imho. Plus you will have quite a unique look.

Last edited by mshedden; 08-11-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:05 AM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
Not sure what benefit powder coating over painting is...just seems like painting is easier?
Powder coating is a much more durable finish than paint.

Paint would be easier, however.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:25 AM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

+1 on the powder coat.

The Gyrodynes look absolutely sick on the R. The powder coat would definitely give your R a unique look!

Old 08-12-2015, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

eBay?

Old 08-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

There seem to be quite a few for sale in the UK, so maybe it's a market related availability problem.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:32 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
Drool! Drool! Awesome rims...now show us them on a Jag!

Old 02-15-2019, 03:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who was the seller of these in black chrome? I have been looking all over for any of the stock wheels in a black chrome finish.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

black does look good on a Polaris white car with black pack though I like the Gyro's better;