Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prospective F-Type owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prospective F-Type owner

Hi everyone,

Coming from a Stage-2 2014 Audi S4 I really fell in love with the looks and interior of the F-type and I am seriously considering buying one as my next daily driver.
So far I'm budgeting for a base or S trim 2016+. Thus, the questions...

1. Exhaust - this is what confuses me the most. I've read Jalopnik, this forum, and Piston heads and still couldn't make a clear picture of the exhaust situation.
The base trim seems to have a passive sport exhaust. Is it always loud or always quiet? If it's always loud I wouldn't be bothered as I like open valves and would drive in such mode 99% of the time.
The S-trim has an active sport exhaust which can be loud or quiet depending on driving style, is that correct? It can also be forced to always be loud by putting a car in the Dynamic mode or by pulling the corresponding fuse, can't it? Lastly, I read there is a switchable exhaust with a dedicated button below the gear stick which can keep the valves open even if the car isn't in Dynamic mode... Is all of that true?

2. Reliability - from what I read a lot of people are pretty happy with their cars and would buy again. Door handles, interior rattling, and oxygen sensors appear to be some of the most common problems. Anything else I should know?

3. AWD/RWD - is there a huge difference in drivability and reliability between RWD/AWD? I live in Indianapolis (USA) and we don't get a lot of snow in winter so I could totally get by with RWD. But we do have awful potholes in winter so adjustable suspension would be nice.

4. I saw in older threads people recommended to search for a car with the Vision Package - what's the easiest way to tell if a car has it? The presence of a backup camera?
Other packages you'd recommend? And how can I tell if a car has them given many used car dealers have little to no clue about packages?

5. Value retention - that's the scariest thing to me. Like most of the Maseratis, Jaguars (at least where I live) plunge in pricing and my worry is having a huge depreciation hit in just 1-2 years. I know it will never be a G-wagon or Jeep Wrangler value-wise, but I don't want to see a $45-50k car selling for $20k in just 2 years. Thoughts on this?

6. Lastly, 2015-2016 Jaguar S cars cost $50-55k in my area and the price different with the R-trim is minimal. R-type costs the same or maybe $1-2k more which is weird to me.
Here's the search link: https://www.iseecars.com/used-car-fi...A2Njg1MQ%3D%3D
What are your thoughts on R aside from having the V8 engine? I assume it makes sense to go with the R for almost the same price than the base or S-trim, especially from the resell value perspective.

Thank you for your time - your help and answers are much appreciated!

Old 03-20-2019, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

On 6. Jaguar caused a lot of confusion with badging. 2014 V8S is the same thing as 2016 R. 2019 R-type is just a car with a premium package.

On 3. You will have hard time putting all power down without AWD. Especially if you find smooth application of accelerator challenging.

On 4. Without vision package blind spots are bad, especially on a convertible with top up. Obviously, top down there are no blind spots.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:20 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

if you are planning to keep the car for awhile, definitely go for R

Old 03-20-2019, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Answers:
1: Can't help here much other than I have a '16R which has switchable exhaust. I like it because it can be loud or quiet. I wouldn't have it any other way.
2.2016" Jags come with a 5 year, 60 month warranty. If you buy a CPO car it will add to that. I had an '11 XF and kept it up till the warranty. Not much went wrong in the 26k miles and it was covered anyway. I only drive my F type in summer so only 15k miles so far. I had oxygen sensor, corroded grounding cable and speaker buzzing. All fixed under warranty. Reliability I think is as good as BMW's.
3. If you opt for a V8 and want to learn how to control an unruly beast get a 2014 vert (V8S) or a 2015R. Both are RWD. 16's and after are all AWD in V8 form. If you get a V6 I'd opt for the RWD. you can also get a manual transmission in a V6 with RWD. These are no longer made as of this year.
4. Vision Package has blind spot detection (its a light in the mirrors when a car or object is in your blind spot), backup camera, cross traffic detection and I think parking sensors. I like mine. My R has plenty of options I like but are not necessary. It came with keyless entry, which I personally would want. RWD, particulary the V6 is lighter, more agile. V8 is British muscle car that can be a Grand Touring car if need be.
5. The biggest depreciation is in first two to three years. if you are really worried about it buy a Porsche, but pay more. I'm keeping mine so not a concern.
6. I love my V8. Paid the price and would again. Also the 16 at least came with many options as standard (770 watt stereo for instane). I think its a better value, but others may disagree.

I can't wait to get mine out of storage. Beautiful car. You need to drive the various models.

Last edited by jaguny; 03-20-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:13 AM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

1. The active exhaust is standard on all of the F-types but the base V6. In dynamic mode the buttom is always on. I leave my car in Dynamic Sport- and shift manually.
5. I've never seen the $20,000 F-type
6. when I was looking it seemed like the R was $10K more than the S.

Be willing to travel to find the right car. I saw a few on-line in Indy when I was looking. The place in Chicago had a lot of used F-types. well they did... https://www.imperialmotorsjaguarofla...hor-packages-2

Old 03-21-2019, 12:02 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by SS4PK
1. The active exhaust is standard on all of the F-types but the base V6. In dynamic mode the buttom is always on.
Always on by default but can be switched off (if you have the switch).

Old 03-21-2019, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by scm
Always on by default but can be switched off (if you have the switch).
It seems to me when my car is in the default driving mode, whatever its called when the screen is blue, my active exhaust is off. For me, my normal operation is turn the car on, eco off, selector to dynamic. So I could be wrong.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:59 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I just got my 2016 F-Type S a couple weeks ago.
Here's what I can tell you.
2. If you geta 2016 or newer it will be under Warranty for 5 years or 60k miles. If you get a CPO Jag warranty will be longer.

3. I live in MI so we have the pothole winter problem. I wouldnt drive it in winter with the 20 inch wheels or even 19s. My sports cars have always been March-Novemeber driven. If you don't want to have 2 vehicles at least consider winter wheels. Most F-Type rims are too nice (and expensive) to expose to salt/potholes

4. If it's not in the vehicle ad or pictures just call the dealer and ask for the original Window sticker. If they dont have it,have them drive it and verify for you.

5. Cars depreciate the most in first 3 years.
So your depreciation won't be as bad. But again it's a luxury sports coupe.

6. I would expand your search nationwide to include sunny weather states. I just picked up my clean 2016 F-Type S for 49k out the door after TTL. No BS dealer fees. So if you are willing to wait and travel to pick it up you I'm sure you can get a 2016 R for low 50s out the door. A couple months ago a dealer near me had a 2015 R for 49k.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:50 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by SS4PK
It seems to me when my car is in the default driving mode, whatever its called when the screen is blue, my active exhaust is off. For me, my normal operation is turn the car on, eco off, selector to dynamic. So I could be wrong.
Ah, you misunderstood, I meant that in dymanic mode the default is for the exhaust to be on loud, but the switch will turn it off.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:43 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Ah, you misunderstood, I meant that in dymanic mode the default is for the exhaust to be on loud, but the switch will turn it off.
This video explains all the exhaust modes on an S. There are sound clips at the end of the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mQGbfW...ature=youtu.be

Old 03-24-2019, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your answers and feedback on F-type cars! I have a better idea on the models and will go check out a few of them soon if there will be good options on the market!

Old 03-25-2019, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by scm
Yup, agreed, thanks